Changing from 32 bit TB to 64 bit TB

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
JDH-1

Changing from 32 bit TB to 64 bit TB

Post by JDH-1 »

I am currently using the latest 32 bit Thunderbird (ver 60.7.1) under Windows 10 Home 64 bit. The original install of the 32 bit version of Thunderbird was done in error, so I would like to Thunderbird 64 bit, transfer all my current settings, then finally uninstall the old 32 bit version. There are many underlying details to transfer -- all the add-ons, all the Thunderbird email settings, the contacts list, etc. Is there a good way to do this which doesn't involve a ~mountain~ of typing?! :-)

John
tanstaafl

Re: Changing from 32 bit TB to 64 bit TB

Post by tanstaafl »

The 64-bit version seems to work well though it is officially unsupported. My experience is that any performance gain for the 64-bit version is marginal. Deleting the Lightning add-on had much more effect on performance (its a resource hog).

However, all you need to do is uninstall the 32-bit version and then install the 64-bit version . It will automatically use your existing profile. Uninstalling Thunderbird does not delete your profile (which has your address books, settings, any downloaded mail, add-ons etc.). If your're worried, backup your profile beforehand.

Generally you don't need to worry about whether you are using 32-bit or 64-bit add-ons, but that is not true with Lightning (and possibly Enigmail). See http://kb.mozillazine.org/64_bit_builds
JDH-1

Post by JDH-1 »

tanstaafl wrote:The 64-bit version seems to work well though it is officially unsupported. My experience is that any performance gain for the 64-bit version is marginal. Deleting the Lightning add-on had much more effect on performance (its a resource hog).

However, all you need to do is uninstall the 32-bit version and then install the 64-bit version . It will automatically use your existing profile. Uninstalling Thunderbird does not delete your profile (which has your address books, settings, any downloaded mail, add-ons etc.). If your're worried, backup your profile beforehand.

Generally you don't need to worry about whether you are using 32-bit or 64-bit add-ons, but that is not true with Lightning (and possibly Enigmail). See http://kb.mozillazine.org/64_bit_builds
This is great to hear! However, I have so much to lose if something goes wrong, backing up the profile seems prudent. The last time I looked into this, I found 2 files in this folder:

c:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird\Profiles\xxxxxxxx.default\

The files were these: key4.db -and- logins.json

Still correct?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Files_and_fol ... hunderbird

Those two files are part of a set of three files used together. The third is cert9.db . However, there should be hundreds of files in your profile. Prefs.js for example stores your settings while *.mab stores your contacts. Check your file explorer view settings aren't hiding files.
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

If you are so cautious, then it would seem imprudent to install an unsupported version.
JDH-1

Post by JDH-1 »

tanstaafl wrote:http://kb.mozillazine.org/Files_and_fol ... hunderbird

Those two files are part of a set of three files used together. The third is cert9.db . However, there should be hundreds of files in your profile. Prefs.js for example stores your settings while *.mab stores your contacts. Check your file explorer view settings aren't hiding files.
Sorry, this is new to me. I went to the URL you cited and found many, many files said to be part of the "Profile". Are you saying to backup only the 3 files you mentioned and forget the many others?

When you said to first uninstall TB 32b that the profile files (or many more?) would be left behind and found when I later loaded TB 64b. Since this seems to imply a very incomplete uninstall operation, I take it to use ~only~ the stock Windows uninstaller?
JDH-1

Post by JDH-1 »

wsmwk wrote:If you are so cautious, then it would seem imprudent to install an unsupported version.
I don't consider anything which has been said to be overly cautious, just normal prudence when dealing with these rigid devices called "PCs" <g>.

I recall that the first 64b versions of Firefox and TB were semi-legit, but I thought that was old news. In both cases, the 64b versions are downloadable directly from the Mozilla website, so I thought they were now as mainstream and the 32b version -- no?
James

Post by James »

Firefox has had 64-bit or Win64 Releases for Windows since 42.0 while 64-bit for Linux and Mac have been around for a very long time.

Thunderbird only had Win64 builds since 60.0 Release by accident.

The Win64 builds of Thunderbird 60.0 are Not officially supported which is why they are not listed on www.thunderbird.net/thunderbird/all/

Thunderbird changed it's build process to move it into line with the Firefox process. A side effect is a 64bit build (for Windows) appearing in the release folders by accident.

Unlike for Mac OSX and Linux where 64-bit builds were actually needed to run, the 32-bit works just fine on 64-bit Windows thanks to WOW64.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

What unsupported really means is that QA doesn't test it. Thunderbird isn't tested as well as it should be, and suffers from a lot of regression bugs. While the 64-bit build generally works well, you'e taking a bigger risk (rolling the dice every time you automatically upgrade) for a marginal performance gain.

"the 64b versions are downloadable directly from the Mozilla website, so I thought they were now as mainstream"
Every build (for every channel, including daily builds) is available on that Mozilla web site. However, its the availability on the thunderbird.net web site that determines whether a release build is official.
JDH-1

Post by JDH-1 »

I sure am glad I started this thread! Since I now know that TB 64b isn't quite up the testing standards of FF, I'll do a bit of thinking before making this change (what I once might have called "this upgrade"). Just to finish up, the files I should save some place for safety are just these three: key4.db, logins.json, and cert9.db.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

"Just to finish up, the files I should save some place for safety are just these three: key4.db, logins.json, and cert9.db."

No. That is basically just your login credentials. You would normally want to save your settings (prefs.js) and address books (*.mab) too as a minimum (plus any downloaded mail if you are using POP accounts). I suggest you use help -> troubleshooting information -> open folder to open file explorer at your profile, and then copy & paste that directory somewhere safe (perhaps to a removable flash drive).

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_backup
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Third_party_p ... d_services
JDH-1

Post by JDH-1 »

tanstaafl wrote:"Just to finish up, the files I should save some place for safety are just these three: key4.db, logins.json, and cert9.db."

No. That is basically just your login credentials. You would normally want to save your settings (prefs.js) and address books (*.mab) too as a minimum (plus any downloaded mail if you are using POP accounts). I suggest you use help -> troubleshooting information -> open folder to open file explorer at your profile, and then copy & paste that directory somewhere safe (perhaps to a removable flash drive).

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_backup
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Third_party_p ... d_services
So I will save: key4.db, logins.json, cert9.db, prefs.js, abook.mab, history.mab

Thanks!