Upgrading MacBookPro to Mojave 10.14 - effect on SeaMonkey

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
abe-ariel

Upgrading MacBookPro to Mojave 10.14 - effect on SeaMonkey

Post by abe-ariel »

I am considering upgrading my MacBookPro (OS 9.5.5 late 2013) to Mojave OS 10.14. While this is OK as far as Apple is concerned, I wonder if the new OS will support SeaMonkey. Can anybody please comment on this issue, based on own experience or reliable information? Tks
frg

Re: Upgrading MacBookPro to Mojave 10.14 - effect on SeaMon

Post by frg »

2.49.4 has known problems. 2.49.5 is in the works and should fix this. Test builds on the new infrastructure are done but some things like uploading the builds to the official location still need to be sorted out.

If you still want to upgrade now you can run the unofficial build:
http://www.wg9s.com/comm-esr/

2.53 is also available. There is one report of 2.53 crashing macOS 10.14.5 but this uses a non standard setup and in any event is probably an apple bug.
abe-ariel

Post by abe-ariel »

Thank you.
As there's no real urgency in that matter it seems I should wait a while with the upgrading and check again in, say, three months.
By the way, does the keyboard shortcut for changing direction (Left-to-Right and Right-to-Left) work for 2.49.5 and 2.53, or this is gone for ever since 2.40?
Best
therube

Post by therube »

What is/was the shortcut?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

abe-ariel wrote:I am considering upgrading my MacBookPro (OS 9.5.5 late 2013) to Mojave OS 10.14. While this is OK as far as Apple is concerned, I wonder if the new OS will support SeaMonkey. Can anybody please comment on this issue, based on own experience or reliable information? Tks
If your Mac is from 2013, how did you come to have OS 9.5 on it? My first Mac was bought in 2006, and it came with OS 10.4.
I cannot say anything about MacOS Mojave, since my 2010 Mac will not support it, so I stopped at OS 10.12. SeaMonkey works with that.
abe-ariel

Post by abe-ariel »

therube wrote:What is/was the shortcut?

Please remind me how to attach an image and I'll come back with the answer.
LordOfTheBored

Post by LordOfTheBored »

Anonymosity wrote:
abe-ariel wrote:I am considering upgrading my MacBookPro (OS 9.5.5 late 2013) to Mojave OS 10.14. While this is OK as far as Apple is concerned, I wonder if the new OS will support SeaMonkey. Can anybody please comment on this issue, based on own experience or reliable information? Tks
If your Mac is from 2013, how did you come to have OS 9.5 on it? My first Mac was bought in 2006, and it came with OS 10.4.
I'm assuming that was a typo and he meant 10.9.5.

By 2013 Apple had transitioned to making Intel-based "Macs", so only OSX can run on a 2013 Mac due to very fundamental differences in the hardware.
Also, Wikipedia says the last release of "classic" MacOS was 9.2.2.
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

Actually, in 2006, Apple began making Intel Macs, and my first Mac was an Intel Mac. I have never used a PPC (Motorola) Mac.
abe-ariel

Post by abe-ariel »

Anonymosity wrote:
I cannot say anything about MacOS Mojave, since my 2010 Mac will not support it, so I stopped at OS 10.12. SeaMonkey works with that.

Sorry, mea culpa. It should have read OS 10.9.5.
BTW, My first Mac was the "Fat Mac", 1986. It had a 512 KB memory. No HD, of course, only 800K floppies. It cost then, at University of New South Wales (with printer) AUD 5500 after academic discount. Was great machine, I wish I would have kept it. Helped me to be admitted to the degree of PhD two years later. I think I am on my 12th Mac Now, not counting 2 iPads.
abe-ariel

Post by abe-ariel »

abe-ariel wrote:
Anonymosity wrote:

Sorry, mea culpa. It should have read OS 10.9.5.
BTW, My first Mac was the "Fat Mac", 1986. It had a 512 KB memory. No HD, of course, only 800K floppies. It cost then, at University of New South Wales (with printer) AUD 5500 after academic discount. Was great machine, I wish I would have kept it. Helped me to be admitted to the degree of PhD two years later. I think I am on my 12th Mac Now, not counting 2 iPads.
I wish to reply to THERUBE supra, Can anybody please help by instructing me how to attach an image to my reply?
Tks.
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

abe-ariel wrote:I wish to reply to THERUBE supra, Can anybody please help by instructing me how to attach an image to my reply?
FAQ:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/faq.php#f3r3
Can I post images?
Yes, images can be shown in your posts. If the administrator has allowed attachments, you may be able to upload the image to the board. Otherwise, you must link to an image stored on a publicly accessible web server, e.g. http://www.example.com/my-picture.gif. You cannot link to pictures stored on your own PC (unless it is a publicly accessible server) nor images stored behind authentication mechanisms, e.g. hotmail or yahoo mailboxes, password protected sites, etc. To display the image use the BBCode [img] tag.
You must find some host service, upload image(-s) there and post URL here using BBCode:

Code: Select all

[img]URL_TO_IMAGE[/img]
Remember that image URL must end with e.g. ".jpg" otherwise BBCode will not recognize it.

https://www.lifewire.com/free-image-hos ... es-3486329

Free hosting usually means they can remove your pics after some time.

If an image is too big then don't use BBCode and just paste URL in your message - it will not break forum (rules/view/mods' mood) and if somebody wants to open it they'll click it.
--
abe-ariel

Post by abe-ariel »

Thank you.
Those procedures seem to be very cumbersome indeed. In this particular case I wanted to attach the pic of the Pilcrow signs cum arrows on the horizontal menu bar, indicating switch from Left-to-Right to Right-to-Left. Eventually I have found them in my Character Viewer. Will copy them from there instead of attaching them.
abe-ariel

Post by abe-ariel »

therube wrote:What is/was the shortcut?
The "shortcut" for changing direction (Left-to-Right and and Right-to-Left) was by clicking on the pilcrow sign (¶ ) cum arrow on the horiziontal menu bar. This was last operative in Ver. 2.40 .
Believing in miracles, my question was: Is it operative with OS 10.14 ?
As I understand this feature is an add-on and at the time it stopped functioning I traced its source to an Israeli guy living in Holland (name forgotten). I spoke to him on the phone several times. He did not know it's gone, but expressed no desire to revive it.
I am bilingual and that “shortcut” is very important to me. Changing direction from the pull-down menu is too cumbersome, hence I am still on 2.40.
I wonder if this matter will be ever fixed.

Tks
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

abe-ariel wrote:Thank you.
Those procedures seem to be very cumbersome indeed. In this particular case I wanted to attach the pic of the Pilcrow signs cum arrows on the horizontal menu bar, indicating switch from Left-to-Right to Right-to-Left. Eventually I have found them in my Character Viewer. Will copy them from there instead of attaching them.
You just search for any symbols you need in Google, etc. it's not hard - ¶ ¶ ¶ No character viewer required ¶ ¶

....and no, uploading an image in not very cumbersome, people do it all the time.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
therube

Post by therube »

As I understand this feature is an add-on
Oh, so it is an extension - not something native to SeaMonkey.
(And in that case, no screenshot needed.)

So... what is the name of the extension?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript