Mail wrongly routed to Junk

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
IanBrooke

Mail wrongly routed to Junk

Post by IanBrooke »

My Hotmail account gets a lot of mail from various YouTube posters, they always come from the same email address (noreply@youtube.com), about 75% of the time they end up in my junk mail and I have no idea why. I've been thru my filters, nothing. The email address is in my address book. This problem only seems to affect email coming from that YouTube email address. There's no commonality that I can make out, it's not always the same YouTube poster, the same poster will sometimes end up in the Inbox but often in Junk.
Any suggestions why or how to fix it?
Thanks

*Edit: I don't have any addons installed.
I've also marked hundreds of them as "Not Junk" and they are moved to my Inbox, but new emails still end up in Junk
tanstaafl

Re: Mail wrongly routed to Junk

Post by tanstaafl »

It might be Outlook that is moving them to the junk folder, not Thunderbird. You might need to whitelist that email address (add them as a safe sender) with Outlook webmail.
IanBrooke

Post by IanBrooke »

Thanks for your reply Tanstaafl. I don't think I have any form of Outlook installed on my system, I certainly can't find it on my Win 10 Start menu. The only other mail system I have is Windows Live Mail which I haven't used for years.
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

I think tanstaafl misspoke and meant "Hotmail", since that's your email supplier.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 124.0.2 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 124.2.0/115.9.0 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

By Outlook I meant the Outlook.com web site which is used nowadays for both hotmail and outlook email addresses, though pop3.live.com is still supported for POP accounts.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Hotmail
IanBrooke

Post by IanBrooke »

I looked on Hotmail.com as suggested, I wasn't able to find a specific "white list" but I finally found a feature which allowed me to specify that all mail from Youtube should go to the Inbox. We'll see how that works out.
IanBrooke

Post by IanBrooke »

I only got 4 emails from Youtube last night, 3 of them went into Inbox, 1 into Junk, so that's a better % but still not right.
IanBrooke

Post by IanBrooke »

The previous change I tried didn't result in any real improvement. I've now searched further and found a whitelist on the Outlook site, adding the Youtube address to that list seems (so far) to have fixed the problem.
However, that suggests a further problem. Why is Thunderbird seemingly accepting everything that Outlook is sending to each folder? What's the point in entering filters in TBird if they are overridden by where Outlook is saying an email belongs?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

The filters in Thunderbird are run after your email provider runs its filters. They are not overridden, they just occur later in the checking for new mail sequence. If your email provider adds headers that specify the spam score etc. you can configure Thunderbird to make use of that. For example deciding that if the spam score is less than X its not spam despite your email provider moving it to the spam folder. Or you could apply your own white list based on a dedicated Thunderbird address book.

The best solution is to get a email provider that does a great job of detecting spam, and not bother with Thunderbird's junk mail controls (which are pitiful compared to something like a well tuned SpamAssassin configuration on a mail server). Gmail does a great job for example. But if you use something like Outlook then you need to supplement / second guess its decisions using Thunderbird's junk mail controls.
mozurkewich

Post by mozurkewich »

tanstaafl wrote:But if you use something like Outlook then you need to supplement / second guess its decisions using Thunderbird's junk mail controls.
I think you mean if the server is using Outlook?

My server does use Outlook. So can I get Thunderbird to examine the messages the server puts in Junk Email and send them to either Inbox or a separate junk folder? If so, how?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

"I think you mean if the server is using Outlook?"

Yes.

See the use custom headers section and the trusting spamassassin section (I know you're not using spamassassin but you can customize it for any anti-spam program) in http://kb.mozillazine.org/Junk_Mail_Controls . You can use message filters to automatically move a misfiled message to another folder (select new mail AFTER junk mail classification in the top of the message filters). That's not just for the inbox, you can do that for any folder. See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Custom_headers for how to define custom headers used by your email provider, so that you can use them in message filters, searches and junk controls.