TB problems storing Sent message (Linux)

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
newtusmaximus

TB problems storing Sent message (Linux)

Post by newtusmaximus »

Apologies if I am posting to the wrong thread.
Linux Lite 3.6 Kernel 4.40-146 generic 64 bit 4GB RAM
Thunderbird V60.6.1 (64 Bit)

Problems Sending

Been using Thunderbird for mail for 6years+ on Windows and now LL since 2014.  been very reliable - updated etc. via LL updates.
Now and again started to get the following come up when sending emails.
"Your message was sent but a copy was not placed in your sent folder (Sent Items) due to network or file access errors. You can retry or save the message locally to Local Folders/Sent Items-xxx@yyyy.eu.
Your message has been sent and saved, but there was an error while running message filters on it"
Copies of emails fail to appear in sent folder for that email address although I press yes to save  if that message comes up on screen.
Also if I use browser to view sent emails (webmail) the corresponding email fails to appear, BUT recipients tell me they have received them???

I have checked both Thunderbird and my ISP and separate Mail host and have no filters set on any of them - blanks
Seems to happen if I have attachments to emails (Few MB) such as pdfs or jpgs.

Running SOPHOS in background -  Not aware that there are filters there that could be interfering- would not know where to look. No SOPHOS warnings in log

Stared BCC emails to a back up gmail account just to be sure.
The trouble is that this does not happen all the time, just now and again.   I have checked capacity on my email host server and I am about 60% of my allowable capacity.

Hope the above makes sense. Ideas / check routine welcomed.
DanRaisch

Re: TB problems storing Sent message (Linux)

Post by DanRaisch »

I split your post from its original location as your issue is entirely different from the one discussed there.

Please confirm how the account is set up in Thunderbird, as POP or IMAP? Find out using menu path Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->Server Type at the top right of the dialogue.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

If you have a IMAP account "Your message was sent but a copy was not placed in your sent folder (Sent Items) due to network or file access errors." means your SMTP server managed to send the message but Thunderbrid had a problem uploading the saved copy to the IMAP server. The two operations are done independently, not sequentially.

I used to have this same problem with just my Fastmail account, all of my others accounts were unaffected. Fastmail lets you configure the SMTP server to save a copy of the sent message, when using a email client. You just have to specify what From: address (personality) it should do this for. The settings were done using a browser in the webmail settings. After checking that worked I unchecked Thunderbird saving a copy of the sent message in Copies&Folders, to avoid the possibility of duplicates.

See if your email provider offers a similar feature. They will probably have a different wording/description but look for keywords such as personality, identity or From: address with any SMTP settings.
newtusmaximus

Post by newtusmaximus »

tanstaafl wrote:If you have a IMAP account "Your message was sent but a copy was not placed in your sent folder (Sent Items) due to network or file access errors." means your SMTP server managed to send the message but Thunderbrid had a problem uploading the saved copy to the IMAP server. The two operations are done independently, not sequentially.

I used to have this same problem with just my Fastmail account, all of my others accounts were unaffected. Fastmail lets you configure the SMTP server to save a copy of the sent message, when using a email client. You just have to specify what From: address (personality) it should do this for. The settings were done using a browser in the webmail settings. After checking that worked I unchecked Thunderbird saving a copy of the sent message in Copies&Folders, to avoid the possibility of duplicates.

See if your email provider offers a similar feature. They will probably have a different wording/description but look for keywords such as personality, identity or From: address with any SMTP settings.
Thank you for the reply. Emails with small attachments or without attachments seem to be sent to the "sent" folder without problems. It is only when attachments are of a few MB the problem seems to occur.
As a result I have set up a "dummy" gmail account to which I i sent a copy of such large emails. This confirms that there are no problems in sending.
However, if i then try to copy/move those emails from the bcc gmail accoint back to to the main email ( non gmail) accuint using Thunderbird, this also fails to take place.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

It sounds like there are numerous problems with your ISP's IMAP server. I suggest you consider using a message filter to automatically move any new mail to the Gmail inbox, and configure the ISP IMAP account to use the Gmail smtp server. The latter means that Gmail will automatically save a copy in the Gmail sent items folder. You could keep the ISP account collapsed in the folder pane so that its easy to ignore.

ISPs are typically poor email providers as they view email as just a cost center (something they have to do that has no upside for them). You might be able to register a different contact address (than the email address they provide you) with your ISP so that can still contact you about billing etc. , and then drop using your ISP as a email provider. This is typically configured using a browser in webmail settings. You'd have to notify people you gave that email address beforehand, but that might not be a big deal if you mainly used the Gmail account.
Skyzoomer

Post by Skyzoomer »

newtusmaximus wrote:Thank you for the reply. Emails with small attachments or without attachments seem to be sent to the "sent" folder without problems. It is only when attachments are of a few MB the problem seems to occur.
I'm having the exact same problem. "Emails with small attachments or without attachments seem to be sent to the "sent" folder without problems. It is only when attachments are of a few MB the problem seems to occur."

I'm running Windows 10, Tbird with latest update 60.7.0.

Any ideas?
(Tbird 9.0.1 running on Win7 (x64) on Intel i5 system.) (Tbird 9.0.1 running on Vista on Dell Core 2 Duo T6400 laptop.)
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

Skyzoomer wrote:
newtusmaximus wrote:Thank you for the reply. Emails with small attachments or without attachments seem to be sent to the "sent" folder without problems. It is only when attachments are of a few MB the problem seems to occur.
I'm having the exact same problem. "Emails with small attachments or without attachments seem to be sent to the "sent" folder without problems. It is only when attachments are of a few MB the problem seems to occur."

I'm running Windows 10, Tbird with latest update 60.7.0.

Any ideas?
Use WeTransfer file transfer.

TB 60.5.0 Release Notes

WeTransfer file transfer
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
Skyzoomer

Post by Skyzoomer »

WaltS48 wrote: Use WeTransfer file transfer.

TB 60.5.0 Release Notes

WeTransfer file transfer
Hi WaltS48,
Thanks for your reply. Testing using wetransfer, I discovered that my problem is not the size of an attached file being too large but instead that sending multiple large files (but all less than 5MB) is causing the error:

"Your message was sent but a copy was not placed in your sent folder (Sent Mail) due to network or file access errors."

I'll open a new thread describing my problem.
Thanks.
(Tbird 9.0.1 running on Win7 (x64) on Intel i5 system.) (Tbird 9.0.1 running on Vista on Dell Core 2 Duo T6400 laptop.)