Suddenly all bookmarks/extensions/passwords vanished.

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
FrankSMS

Re: Suddenly all bookmarks/extensions/passwords vanished.

Post by FrankSMS »

Does a new release mandate a new profile? Its seems odd they wouldn't just use the old profile with all our settings/extensions/passwords. I've never had this happen with any software before. It upgrades and everything you've done with that program is set aside. Bizarre. I sure didn't notice any notification of this. Imagine if businesses did that all the time. Imagine our productivity. "Oh, we upgraded. Remember all your stuff? Its gone. But you can hunt it down over here."
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

Hi FrankSMS, you realize that a failed migration is not intentional, right?

It definitely is difficult to discover all the changes in a new release. In this case, the release notes link to this blog post: https://blog.nightly.mozilla.org/2019/0 ... hitecture/
FrankSMS

Post by FrankSMS »

Well its good to understand what happened. Its exactly as before so all is good. Now if it happens again I know where to check the profiles. Thank you all for your help. Hopefully it will help others in the future.
therube

Post by therube »

you realize that a failed migration is not intentional, right?
You realize that the migration did not fail, it worked as expected (in Mozilla's eye), the user is the issue.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
FrankSMS

Post by FrankSMS »

therube wrote:
You realize that the migration did not fail, it worked as expected (in Mozilla's eye), the user is the issue.
You think its good that an upgrade switches a profile so all settings/extensions/bookmarks vanish? That's not what happens normally in my world! I don't think many people would appreciate that happening either.
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Why do you care?
You're using Oprah....
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

therube wrote:
Is there a bug, wiki or blog post indicating that Firefox 67 is not supposed to migrate all of the previous profile data when creating "default-release"?
therube

Post by therube »

I did not say that I think it is good - it is not, but for the best I can tell, in Mozilla's view this (I suppose when something goes wrong), it, Mozilla, performed correctly, & the user is at fault.

Well the bug, IMO, is all this crap with 67 & how it handles (of which I cannot discern) "Profiles", & that bug, Mozilla has resolved, INVALID.
And if the Bug is INVALID, then it cannot be a Mozilla issue, so then (in my thinking) must be an issue the user has brought upon themselves.

Which is obviously ridiculous.

As far as "migration", we still don't know (I don't think?) which version Frank "migrated" from or even if it was a migration & not simply "opening his browser"?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript