2.49.5 test

Discussion about Seamonkey builds
frg

2.49.5 test

Post by frg »

Anyone here who wants to test a 2.49.5 version done on the new SeaMonkey builders? I did Windows x86 and x64 tests builds yesterday. I did all supported languages. Unlike the previous official 2.49 versions 2.49.5 will include Lightning, DOMi and Chatzilla again. They are very very close to the expected release builds. We might just need to include another minor patch or two for uploading them to the official location.

I am mostly interested to see if MAPi aka send to email works from Microsoft Office, Explorer or other programs especially with non en-US Windows and SeaMonkey and if attachment handling is still ok. The backports for MAPI needed changes there. I did some testing myself and they are ok for me but you never know :)

They are identical to Bills latest builds minus a few private work in progress fixes. They will not heal bad google and facebook websites among others.

Send me a pm or post her and tell me which version you want. 2.49.5 will be available in x86 and a brand new x64 version for Windows.

FRG
TPR75

Re: 2.49.5 test

Post by TPR75 »

frg wrote:Anyone here who wants to test a 2.49.5 version done on the new SeaMonkey builders?

Where to download it? It must be set as "default" in OS to make it work with "send MAPI function", right?
--
frg

Post by frg »

> Where to download it?

Let me know which version x86/x64 and language you want and I send you a link. I don't want a public download site yet. Would be one more unofficial version floating around and this honor should belong to Bills versions.

> It must be set as "default" in OS to make it work with "send MAPI function", right?

Yes. Should do it when you install it but in Win 10 you might need to go into settings.

FRG
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

frg wrote:> Where to download it?

Let me know which version x86/x64 and language you want and I send you a link. I don't want a public download site yet.
Both. I'll test it under VirtualBox (WinXP 32-bit and Win10 64-bit). If i'll have some more time then I'll risk and will check x64 on physical machine (Win7).

I hope PM is active for me...
--
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

Well, I tested it.

1) Windows XP Professional 32-bit (VirtualBox 6.0.8)

Installs correct over older 2.49.x. "Mailto" works (new "Comose" window opens) but Explorer's "Send to email" doesn't work - it will start SeaMonkey only (in not running) or will do nothing if SeaMonkey is already running. It must be something with WinXP because older 2.49.4 behave the same.

2) Windows 10 Professional 64-bit v1809 (VirtualBox 6.0.8)

Everything seems working correct. I didn't noticed anything wrong with SeaMonkey 32-bit and 64-bit.

3) Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit (physical machine)

"Send MAPI" and "mailto" functions works correct for both x86 and x64 versions.

I noticed one strange thing with Lightning Calendar. When I run for the first time my default profile there was LC... but after some time it disappeared "Add-ons manager" was showing "Remove" only for LC extension. I'm not sure what caused this. I think it was after I disabled "Lightning advertising" (without touching any LC settings). I've restored profile from copy and after first start LC was installed. After some test (similar to previous) LC didn't disappeared.

More strange thing is not all profiles get LC - the oldest "Test" profile didn't get it even after restoring copy of profile. There are two non-standard (for me) extensions (for test only): DownThemAll and Mega (for Mega.nz download website; but this one is not active). All "test" profiles are run with extra command like this:

Code: Select all

"C:\Program Files\SeaMonkey\seamonkey.exe" -no-remote -P "Test"
... but some newer profile run like this did get Lightning Calendar.

Regardless of LC problems SeaMonkey 2.49.5 (x86 and x64) did run well and all my extension works correct (including modded Cookie Monster).

Now I'm waiting for l10n version (with Polish language).
--
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

OK! SeaMonkey 2.49.5 PL tested.

1) Windows XP Professional 32-bit (VirtualBox 6.0.8)

Everything seems to work correct like for en-US version. When "updating" from en-US to PL "Lightning Calendar" didn't get translation - everything related to Calendar had English language. When I restored profile and I've run old profile with SM 2.49.5 PL for the first time then Calendar had Polish language.

2) ...

Damn! ISP is making some "maintenance/modernization" so I lost remote connection to my PC with Win VMs (because of licenses I can't move them to all PCs). So far no more testing. In my present location I have Linux VMs only (openSUSE and Mint).
--
frg

Post by frg »

Thanks for testing.

Download the VS2015 to VS2019 x86 runtime to fix the MAPI issue in XP:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... -downloads

Should work afterwards if not deinstall and reinstall SeaMonkey. It is in the release notes under known issues :) See https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1356902

We are bundling the needed runtime files but the MAPI dlls are controlled by the OS and are not picking up our redistributed files. Might even occur up to Windows 7. Windows 8 and up should have all the files already in place.

Wrt Lightning. The Gecko extension handling is a mess. If you just switch languages and the version does not change you get the old one already installed. Same if you deinstalled it some time ago and an unchanged version.

You can usuallly fix this by deinstalling the add-on and removing
any extensions.installedDistroAddon keys in about:config.

During the next start the latest bundled version should magically reappear.

We can't do this during startup because any deinstalled add-ons we bundle would show up again then. Goes for Chatzilla, DOM Inspector and Lightning. debug-qa too but it is not bundled with 2.49.5.
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

frg wrote:Download the VS2015 to VS2019 x86 runtime to fix the MAPI issue in XP:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... -downloads

Should work afterwards
OK. Versions PL (x86 & x64) tested (on VMs and physical system) and it works correct for "MAPI things". Installing older VC2017 did the trick for WinXP and it works there too.
--
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

frg wrote:Anyone here who wants to test a 2.49.5 version done on the new SeaMonkey builders?
Some more tests?
https://mozilla.logbot.info/seamonkey/2 ... #c16380856

Please, write more about bugs and what to test specifically.
--
frg

Post by frg »

Most changes were in the mapi part. If you want to help out again we have one other for the downloads manager now in progress. But I don't have a server build yet.

And thanks again for testing. Great that you help out here.

FRG
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

frg wrote:Most changes were in the mapi part. If you want to help out again we have one other for the downloads manager now in progress. But I don't have a server build yet.

And thanks again for testing. Great that you help out here.
Send me PM when it's ready.

I could but I don't want to imagine world without SeaMonkey... 8-)
--
frg

Post by frg »

PM sent. New x64 tests builds including the fix for https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/security/ ... sa2019-18/ are done if someone else wants to take a test drive. They are basically release builds. x86 is currently compiling.
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

frg wrote:Wrt Lightning. The Gecko extension handling is a mess. If you just switch languages and the version does not change you get the old one already installed. Same if you deinstalled it some time ago and an unchanged version.

You can usuallly fix this by deinstalling the add-on and removing
any extensions.installedDistroAddon keys in about:config.

During the next start the latest bundled version should magically reappear.
I think there is some bug in 2.49.5 and 2.53 related to Lightning extension. Or two.

It started with "update" of 2.49.5 - downloading new ZIP version, removing old and unpacking new to the same folder. There is dedicated profile to this version (2.53 ZIP and 2.57 ZIP have their own profiles).
After some "update" (I don't know which one) I realized that Lightning extension is reported as "not compatible with this version of SeaMonkey". I did above procedure with "deinstall and remove" and after next restart extension was present. Brilliant!

But then I decided to check "Options":
Menu -> Tools -> Add-ons Manager -> Extensions -> Lightning 5.4 -> click "More" and then "Options" button
... and SeaMonkey was "blocked". Not "freezed" because Win7 didn't reported it as "not answering" - I was able to minimize using system's command (Task Bar icon) and switch to it again. SeaMonkey looked like some "small window" was opened and it is waiting to be closed by user but it was "invisible". I was able to close it using Task Manager or just clicking SeaMonkey launch icon (with message that SM is already running and must be closed first). If I click "Options" but without "More" then I can see, use and close "Preferences" small window. The same situation for SeaMonkey 2.53 (Build identifier: 20190626130007).
--
frg

Post by frg »

> Menu -> Tools -> Add-ons Manager -> Extensions -> Lightning 5.4 -> click "More" and then "Options" button

Known old bug. I just need to find the number. Nothing helps but closing down so as a workaround just don't click on it :)