Unable to receive email in Thunderbird

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
bettis1

Unable to receive email in Thunderbird

Post by bettis1 »

In the last few days, when I attempt to receive my e-mail in Thunderbird 3.0.2 I receive the following error message: "The folder Inbox is full, and can't hold any more messages. To make room for more messages, delete any old or unwanted mail and compact the folder".

I have deleted the trash and excess messages and attempted to compact the files but I am sill getting the message and there is no longer any mail in my in-box.

In a "Help Message" several years ago I see that the advice was to delete the.msf file extensions from the profile folder, however, I haven't been able to access that folder in Vista.

Am I on the right track and can you help me?

bettis1
DanRaisch

Re: Unable to receive email in Thunderbird

Post by DanRaisch »

Is your account POP or IMAP?

The AppData folder is folder is a hidden folder; to show hidden folders, open a Windows Explorer window and choose "Organize → Folder and Search Options → Folder Options → View (tab) → Show hidden files and folders".
Shanny

Post by Shanny »

post deleted by Shanny
Last edited by Shanny on March 2nd, 2010, 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bettis1

Post by bettis1 »

Dan,

My acct. is a POP3.

Thanks for any suggestions you might have.

bettis1
bettis1

Post by bettis1 »

I have opened the profile folder, however, I don't find any .msf extension files to delete.

bettis1
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

bettis1, in what directory are you looking for the files with the .msf extension? It should be something like C:\Users\USERID\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird\Profiles\RANDOMSTRING.default\Mail\something.
bettis1

Post by bettis1 »

Dan,

Thanks to your direction I was able to find the file and delete the .msf extensions. However, each time that I open Thunderbird I still get the error message and when I return to the Profiles file I find that those files with the .msf extension have returned. Also when I try to compact the files, I don't get any indication that anything is happening.

bettis1
bettis1

Post by bettis1 »

Dan,
I have attempted to rename my Inbox to InboxOld so that I could go into the Profile folder and delete the large Inbox file, however I don't see the newly named InboxOld file listed so I am a little reluctant to delete the Inbox file without having a backup. Am I on the right track here and if so, where is the renamed file?

bettis1
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

1. The .msf files should reappear after restarting Thunderbird. They are index files are are rebuilt if they are not found upon program launch.
2. Don't rename the primary Inbox.
First, backup your Profile ( http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_backup )

Create a new sub-folder under Local Folders. Move all of the messages currently in your Inbox to that new subfolder.

Confirm that you have made the recommended backup of your Profile.

Close Thunderbird and navigate to your Profile folder. Delete both the file Inbox.msf and the file Inbox with no extension.

Restart Thunderbird and you should find a new, empty Inbox folder in place. Copy any messages you MUST have in your Inbox from the sub-folder created above to the Inbox. Compact the Inbox after those messages are copied in.
bettis1

Post by bettis1 »

Dan,

Beautiful!! Thank you!!! I certainly appreciate you staying with me and walking me through this. I'll know to keep the files compacted in the future.

Regards,
bettis1
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You're very welcome.

Post by Guest »

In the last few days, when I attempt to receive my e-mail in Thunderbird 3.0.4 I receive the following error message: "The folder Inbox is full, and can't hold any more messages. To make room for more messages, delete any old or unwanted mail and compact the folder".

It's the first time this happens and following the instructions I have deleted the trash and excess messages and attempted to compact the files but I am sill getting the message and there is no longer any mail in my in-box.

What can I do to solve this problem? Can you help me?

Stiffelio
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

* What kind of mail - POP, IMAP?
* Is your mail service from an ISP, corporate e-mail system or Web-based?
* Are you using an antivirus and/or a firewall program? Which ones?
* Do you regularly compact your folders? Weekly or more often is strongly recommended. Check http://kb.mozillazine.org/Compacting_folders for more information on compacting folders.
jasperdog

Re: Unable to receive email in Thunderbird/Eudora

Post by jasperdog »

Wow, thanks DanRaisch! I also hit the 4GB Inbox wall with Eudora OSE 1.0 aka Thunderbird 3.0.2. Dragging messages to a new folder worked, but the INBOX refused to compact so it remained at 4GB. I followed your easy instructions in the 12:02PM March 2, 2010 post above, and the problem was solved. When copying messages to new folder, you are wise to only do 10,000 messages at a time, and instead of copying everything back to the newly created empty INBOX, archive at least half the messages instead.

Thanks, John
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Glad to hear you found that post helpful. I'm locking this thread due to the age of the original posts. It will still be available to read but no new posts can be added.