Not receiving emails from one site.

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
dfoulkes

Not receiving emails from one site.

Post by dfoulkes »

1st... I'm on TB 52.9.1 ... and no, not going to upgrade!

I normally receive an email from a site informing me that they are preparing a shipment. That first email allows me to modify that upcoming shipment before it ships... and then they send me an email notifying me that the package has shipped.

Just a FYI about that... I see in my older emails were they did that on 4/29 but I just received a shipment and never received any emails ... and I needed to make some changes to it.

Anyway, I called the company and resolved the items in the shipment and while on the phone I asked the lady to send me an email as a test... never got it, and she read off my email address in their system and it was correct. She is checking here end of things.

- I called my ISP to check to make sure that they are not blocking their company for some reason but they had just closed...so, I'll call tomorrow...but they don't normally block things anyway... they leave it up to the user.

- I checked Avast and could not find anything in it that would have anything to do with this problem... looked at logs and found nothing.

- Checked TB settings and the only area that seems to have anything to do with this is in Options and I check the Security area and I don't have a Junk folder nor do I have that box active... I do have the Antivirus section active where it allows AV software to quarantine but that has always been that way and I see nothing in the AV logs.

So, is there anywhere in here that anybody can think of where something is hiding?

Thanks all.

EDIT: BTW the company is Chewy.com ..so it's not a fly-by-night company.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
tanstaafl

Re: Not receiving emails from one site.

Post by tanstaafl »

Log into webmail using a browser and see if it has a copy of the message. Look in both the inbox and your email provider's equivalent of the junk folder. It might be called bulk mail.

Are you using a POP or IMAP account? If its POP is "leave message on server" in the server settings checked? Is the nearby "for at most X days" unchecked?
cecr

Post by cecr »

I had something similar to this some time ago. The emails in question were being put into a spam folder by the email provider/web UI. TB had it's own junk folder that was different to the one used by the provider. As a result, the messages were invisible in TB. as tanstaafl says, check your email provider to see if there is anything there. every mail you receive should be in the webui somewhere.

Also, do you have any filters in either TB or server side? Filters can find matches that are not obvious at first so a new sender's email (eg info@ rather than new@) or a new phrase in the mail (eg despatch rather than dispatch) could lead to your filter moving/not moving the mails, if that happens server side, you won't see the mail unless you've subscribed (I'm assuming you use IMAP) to that destination folder. The same thing could happen if the email provider suddenly identifies the email as spam - it'll be moved and you'll only see it if you have subscribed.

Be particularly careful if you have any filters that delete mails on arrival if the filter is based on keywords. If a change in the notification email has casued it to fall foul of the filter and its been deleted, you won't see it.

As a precaution, perhaps you can disable filters when you expect mails from them.

One company I used to get mail from regularly use to change their subject heading or their email address so it bypassed my filters that were designed to move those emails into their own folder to be read later. It was a constant pain editing the filters to keep them working and their mails were frequently overlooked until I did so.

Of course, if the sender didn't actually send an email, you're barking up the wrong tree. so I'd go back to them and check. She may have said she was sending the email, but did she actually click send, and did it leave their server?

Does the company have an info or enquiries email with the same domain as the ones you normally receive mail from? If so, if you were to send an email to that, and you received a reply, it might help narrow things down - it would show thr domain isn't being spammed/filtered. The only thing with that is that it can take days to get a reply, but that may be ok if you're not planning on ordering anything soon.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

tanstaafl wrote:Log into webmail using a browser and see if it has a copy of the message. Look in both the inbox and your email provider's equivalent of the junk folder. It might be called bulk mail.

Are you using a POP or IMAP account? If its POP is "leave message on server" in the server settings checked? Is the nearby "for at most X days" unchecked?
Checked with my ISP company and they said that they don't block anything... I check within my account in their system and there are no filters in there... plus, nothing in Spam ... and if there was Spam it stays in there for 10 days... so, nothing to do with that...

I use POP and I don't have 'Leave messages on server' ... I want them cleared as soon as I receive them...which I never did receive them. I'm kind of leaning towards Chewy having an issue of some sort (and not TB) because I also have my tablet set up to pull emails from my ISP so that I know what might be coming in...and never received any in my tablet...BTW, my tablet is set to 'leave' stuff on the server. So, it's looking more and more like Chewy is the issue. I'll update this subject as soon as I find out what's going one.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

cecr

Thanks both for responding... I have zero filters in TB nor in my ISP account... just called them up to verify that they do/don't do any filtering... and they don't.

I called Chewy again this AM and asked them to email me again to my main provider... and the email did not come in... then I asked her to email me a test email to my Yahoo account (of which I have TB set to pull that stuff in too) and the email came in within 10 seconds. So, sounds to my like 'maybe' the issue is at their end?? The rep (again) notified Tech of the problem so may I'll here something back soon. Also, double/triple checked that my email data in their system was correct... and it was.
cecr

Post by cecr »

Doesn't sound like a TB problem, either your ISP, or the sender. Could you talk to your ISP and ask them to check their logs to see if may be they rejected the mails on receipt? Also getting an email from the sender's enquiry line is still a valid check. It'll confirm if all mail from the domain is lost or just from the particular department.

The other thing is, are they definitely still sending the advisory emails you're expecting?

dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Still working on this... called my ISP about possible blocking of some of my stuff... they said that they don't block anything... but that will somehow have to be proven to me... because I received a letter from Ameritrade stating that an email sent by them was bounced back as undeliverable ... so, another call is to be made to my ISP... also Chewy's tech dept stated that my ISP server was blocking the email that they sent... I suppose that they (Chewy) have tools at their disposal that tells them that. When I called my ISP the first time it seemed to me that their concern was a little 'light' if you know what I mean...now I wonder how many other emails are not getting in here. Thanks for the continued thoughts.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

ISPs are normally poor email providers because they view it as just a cost center. I suggest you think about getting a free Gmail IMAP account. Google stopped scanning messages to create personalized ads a good while ago. The Thunderbird developers also go out of their way to provide good gmail support due to its popularity. For example, they are adding support for gmail labels (not to be confused with tags) this year.

To make the transition easier you can even configure Gmail webmail to automatically fetch mail from your ISP's POP server, and merge it into the inbox (where Thunderbird will automatically see it).

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Gmail
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Thanks for that info... I did not mention that I also have Gmail coming into TB.... When I finally got connected with somebody at my ISP they did some checking and found that they have Chewy as a scam site... which is weird because they are a legit company and AFAIK do not create spam emails to people... I'll be contacting Chewy today to notify them... and if that doesn't resolve the issue I change my Chewy account to go to Gmail... and I'm thinking of killing off my Yahoo account... to many junk emails via sites that stole Yahoo accounts. I'll post back here when/if I get it all resolved.