[Solved]Cant delete folder

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
k.grigorakis

[Solved]Cant delete folder

Post by k.grigorakis »

This happens only on my imap yahoo accounts, i have deleted the account and recreated it still there is an extra draft folder while Thunderbird uses the folder drafts... how can i delete that extra folder?
Thanks.
Last edited by k.grigorakis on June 11th, 2019, 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
tanstaafl

Re: Cant delete folder

Post by tanstaafl »

Thunderbrid won't let you delete a folder that is specified in "copies & folders". You might need to switch which folder is the drafts folder. Normally you want to use the one created by your email provider, not one that Thunderbird creates .
k.grigorakis

Post by k.grigorakis »

tanstaafl wrote:Thunderbrid won't let you delete a folder that is specified in "copies & folders". You might need to switch which folder is the drafts folder. Normally you want to use the one created by your email provider, not one that Thunderbird creates .
The thing is that i logged in to my yahoo account via Web Browser to check if there is a Draft folder and there wasn't one so then i checked "copies & folders" and Thunderbird saves in Drafts not Draft so...
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

On my system I changed "copies & folders" for my yahoo IMAP account to use "draft" (via Other:) for drafts. That let me delete the "drafts" folder.

Check that server settings -> advanced has "show only subscribed folders" UNchecked. You want it unchecked (for the moment) so that you can see all folders without having to use webmail. I'm using the normal free yahoo account, not one provided by a ISP or "Y! mail". What type of yahoo account are you using?
k.grigorakis

Post by k.grigorakis »

tanstaafl wrote:On my system I changed "copies & folders" for my yahoo IMAP account to use "draft" (via Other:) for drafts. That let me delete the "drafts" folder.

Check that server settings -> advanced has "show only subscribed folders" UNchecked. You want it unchecked (for the moment) so that you can see all folders without having to use webmail. I'm using the normal free yahoo account, not one provided by a ISP or "Y! mail". What type of yahoo account are you using?
Same as you a free yahoo mail, firefox created a "Bulk mail" folder which i can right click and delete unlike "Draft" folder which i can only hide it by unsubscribing.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

You don't want to delete "draft" as that is what yahoo webmail uses. You want to configure Thunderbird to use "draft" instead of "drafts". You also don't want to delete "bulk mail" as that seems to be yahoo's version of the junk folder.

What yahoo folders do you have?
k.grigorakis

Post by k.grigorakis »

tanstaafl wrote:What yahoo folders do you have?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I just have templates and bulk mail under Folders Hide. In Thunderbird, bulk mail is subscribed (so its visible) and templates is unsubscribed (so its not visible). Why doesn't webmail show those folders?

You appear to have two drafts folders (both with a 's').

Perhaps the best workaround would be to temporarily configure copies & folders to use folders in "Local Folders" so that you can then delete anything you don't want using webmail. Then re-assign copies & folders to use what webmail is using.
k.grigorakis

Post by k.grigorakis »

ok thank you, you can mark it as solved if such feature exists i am gonna check if its something i can do myself.