Message filters don't work automatically

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
DanRaisch

Re: Message filters don't work automatically

Post by DanRaisch »

If the filters are properly defined, and if the problem is that the .msf (index) files are not properly in synch with the message files, there is no easier way to make Thunderbird's filters work properly.
b3d0u1n

Post by b3d0u1n »

DanRaisch wrote:
I never compact the folders,
First backup your profile -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_backup
Close Thunderbird and navigate to your Profile Folder ( http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Folder ). Find the files with the extension msf, such as Inbox.msf. Note that there will be sets of two files with the name but only one of these will have the MSF extension. Delete the files with the MSF extension. Restart Thunderbird, compact all folders, and see if things are back to normal. Note that the MSF files do NOT contain your messages. They are, for lack of a better term, an index file and will be recreated by Thunderbird as required.
Thanks. This issue was driving me nuts all morning. I could run the filters manually, but they were not being applied to my inbox automatically. Deleting all of the MSF files solved the problem.

What preceded this was my employer's email server crashing. They restored from a backup and a bunch of folders I deleted many months ago began to reappear. I think this caused Thunderbird to freak out somehow.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Locking this thread due to the age (four years) of the original posts. It will still be accessible for reading but no new posts can be added.