Firefox is already running, but is not responding ???

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
unbob

Firefox is already running, but is not responding ???

Post by unbob »

I recently upgraded to Release v67.0.1. Since doing so this problem has occurred.

Does anyone know what causes this message to appear?

This message appears in a pop-up window in Firefox when clicking on a URL outside Firefox (in email message for example).

Any explanation for why this is happening? Thx, Rob
Last edited by unbob on June 16th, 2019, 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kerft

Re: Firefox is already running, but is not responding ???

Post by kerft »

The message occurs when Firefox is running, and when something (a user, or a program) is trying to open Firefox, and one of two cases are happening. Either Firefox is in the process of closing, or the way the user / program is opening Firefox makes Firefox think it needs to use a different profile, and the -no-remote flag or -P is not set properly so it cannot open a second profile.
Some tweaks were added to Firefox 67.0.2 to which was released, but I don't know if they would help.
There are other threads where Firefox did open the links, but in a second profile that nobody wanted. See here: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3050560

I don't know a solution you will like. If you are willing to follow the rules, I would suggest you post a bug report to bugzilla.mozilla.org
What are you using as an email client? Thunderbird? If you switch to Seamonkey for email, it can act as a full browser and you can have it open its email links in itself. Or, if you set anything other than Firefox to be the default browser that may reduce some of the symptoms. You could add a -no-remote flag or a -P and the name of one or a second profile to the launch command for Firefox in your email client. If you do that, you may need to customize a second Firefox profile to be somewhat similar to how you like Firefox to operate. Again, this may not work.

I guess you are not using Firefox Portable, but if you are, try going to their support forum, they may be working on some of these issues.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

it is only -no-remote - this message appears when firefox wont accept further commands. -p or profilemanager dont change a bit.

if he is aware of only ONE profile then i would say his profile is damaged somehow, see his user agent here, which ofc is not regular, i would say he had screwed it
Mozilla/5.0 (en-us;)
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Rob,
You might like to try re-setting your UA. (User Agent)
> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Resetting_you ... in_default
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
unbob

Post by unbob »

LIMPET235 wrote:Rob,
You might like to try re-setting your UA. (User Agent)
> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Resetting_you ... in_default
Mine were already set to 'default'.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

It still shows a corrupted user agent: Mozilla/5.0 (en-us;)

You can start Firefox in Safe Mode to check if one of the extensions is causing this.
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_Mode
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/tr ... x-problems
unbob

Post by unbob »

Finally!! After upgrading to V68.0 this problem is resolved for me!!

I've been dealing with this problem for over a month since switching from ESR to Release upgrade.

During my research I discovered this has been an ongoing problem for 12 years!!

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=382477

How is it possible to have an unresolved problem for 12 years?? Something is seriously wrong at Mozilla for this to happen. Unbelievable.
therube

Post by therube »

So all along, you have been running Thunderbird with the -no-remote switch?

Come FF 67, there were wholesale (including any number of bug ridden changes) made to the concept of "Profiles" & how they work (or don't work). And now the same is absorbed into 68. Wonder just what fixes made it into 68 that fixes your issue? Or are you no longer using the -no-remote switch with FF?

(PS: The 68 update also fixed your UA string ;-).)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
unbob

Post by unbob »

therube wrote:So all along, you have been running Thunderbird with the -no-remote switch?
No, I have never used -no-remote in either FF or TB.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

-no-remote interferes with other Gecko based applications (e.g. Firefox launching Thunderbird via mailto or TB launching FF via click on link)
sorry, but those are too stupid to get the logic behind -no-remote.
So all along, you have been running Thunderbird with the -no-remote switch?
as you can read there is no other explanation as i did before. firefox wont accept further commands.

uninstall firefox please, delete all links and reinstall. your profile leave untouched. if the problem still exists its your profile.
therube

Post by therube »

Mark Banner wrote that.
I'd think he has a clue ;-).

Actually I never thought about that, all "Mozilla" products (& now offshoots) using the same environment variable.

But by the same token, setting the environment variable must be different, in some respects, from using the -no-remote switch - because I regularly run all types of "Mozilla", simultaneously, -no-remoted or not.

Actually, I've never set a "global" environment variable to do anything like that, instead starting from a batch file.
I've long used something like this, starting from times before the -no-remote switch even existed.
(And so my batch files [now] uses [maintains, actually] both methods.)

Code: Select all

set MOZ_NO_REMOTE=1
if exist "C:\Mozilla\SeaMonkey\seamonkey.exe" start "" "C:\Mozilla\SeaMonkey\seamonkey.exe" -profile .  -no-remote %1
if exist "C:\Mozilla\MOZILLA\mozilla.exe" start "" "C:\Mozilla\MOZILLA\mozilla.exe" -p "dumy"
set MOZ_NO_REMOTE=0
And I have similar for (current) FF & for any number of (older) FF versions.

Affords me the ability to open a new Profile, in an instant.

(Now, FF >= 67 made some changes in that respect, but we won't harp on that ;-).)

Anyhow, if the user was not using the -no-remote switch (or environment variable), then it would seem that particular bug is not applicable - even if the the symptoms are similar.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript