only a few pictures shown in google picture search

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
capello325

only a few pictures shown in google picture search

Post by capello325 »

I´m using seamonkey 2.49.2.
As of late, if I search by pictures with google, only a few results were displayed as pictures (about 20) - other search results were displayed by coloured tils and if you try to open such a results with no picture you get an empty window.
I suddenly had the same problem with seamonkey 2.49.4 and went back to 2.49.2, but the problem was still there.
Does anyone have an idea?
Many Thanks
Klaus
Anonymosity

Re: only a few pictures shown in google picture search

Post by Anonymosity »

My idea would be to use Startpage instead of Google for image searches. Images from a search with Startpage work fine.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

capello325 wrote:Does anyone have an idea?
Change the UA string of your Google override? http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14831936 (I didn't realise originally when I pointed you to that link that it was suggesting to use a Trident user agent string)

Yep, just checked, an I.E. Trident UA will cause this problem. it will also cause the Google Maps dragging maps problem that has also been seen recently. It's possible that this used to work on Google, but not now as those websites are being constantly rewritten. I use a Firefox 61 UA for Google and everything is working, Google-wise, for me.

I think people can now see why we don't recommend global overrides and only site specific ones - imagine if random sites all over the internet were behaving like this!

Maybe you should try something like - Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:61.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/61.0

But, there is also a whole list of sample User Agent strings online, like here. Just choose one that matches the Operating System you are on, or you'll get problems.

See also - http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14833380 and for history buffs - http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14806208
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
capello325

Post by capello325 »

Many Thanks once more, Frank.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

capello325 wrote:Many Thanks once more, Frank.
No problem.

Just remember that we only provide the know how here of how to create site specific overrides. The choice of the actual string value (the spoof User Agent string) used may well need to be changed over time as website change, to be effective without any unwanted side effects.

To recap, for other people -

#1. Put about:config in addressbar and press Enter.

#2. Right click any entry and select New > String.

#3. Enter general.useragent.override.google.com as the Name

#4. Enter User Agent string* of choice as the Value.

#5. Restart and you're done.

Notes : *Select a spoof User Agent string that matches the Operating System that you're on and, ideally, is fairly close to SeaMonkey, i.e. Firefox. You are looking for something that removes the problem, without giving you new ones, so some experimentation may be needed.

For example, in my case, I use Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:61.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/61.0 to get Google to behave.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)