Switch To Previous Active Tab & Reload All Tabs Avast Issue

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Wiggam72

Switch To Previous Active Tab & Reload All Tabs Avast Issue

Post by Wiggam72 »

I recently installed the extension 'Switch To Previous Active Tab & Reload All Tabs' https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... ctive-tab/ and I just got the following message from Avast. What can I do to prevent this from happening?

Is there a setting in FF that can prevent it? Or is it something the dev can do by contacting Avast, or do I have to figure out how to somehow disable the message in Avast (if that's even possible), or contact Avast myself to tell them to stop making the message pop up?

So far I don't see a problem with it. I notice that Avast will do this with a few of my extensions. I'm wondering what it's detecting to make it display the message for this extension and if the dev can do something different to prevent it from happening if there isn't a way to stop it via FF.

> http://i68.tinypic.com/vh3t5k.jpg
Last edited by LIMPET235 on June 15th, 2019, 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Image tags removed to restore the forum layout.
malliz
Folder@Home

Re: Switch To Previous Active Tab & Reload All Tabs Avast Is

Post by malliz »

Get rid of Avast. Pile of crap the dev has done nothing wrong and as usual Avast has screwed up
Just a heads up for you bye the way
https://www.ghacks.net/2019/06/14/if-yo ... read-this/
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
Wiggam72

Post by Wiggam72 »

Yeah, I know the dev isn't the problem. I don't understand what the program is detecting because I know the program isn't malicious and I haven't noticed any performance issues since installing it. Hoping to hear if he has input into this issue.

What free anti-virus programs won't do this that are good? I've seen someone mention in a thread somewhere using Windows Defender instead of other security software. I absolutely hate using W D. It blocks a lot of stuff that it shouldn't and doesn't tell you rendering many legitimate programs useless, and lets in stuff that it should block. I always have it disabled because that damn thing has caused me days and days of misery in the past.

Oh, and it isn't only me. I've dealt with it screwing up many other people's computers/programs as well. Once I disabled Windows Defender on their PC, the program(s) that wouldn't work began working again.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi,
Why not ask at the AVAST Support forum?
I suspect that it's down to one of the so called "Shields" that are the cause.
BUT, it's your choice as to whether you disable the errant one. (They will say not to but....?)
Maybe see if you can add an "Exception?"
Don't really know as I don't have a problem with AVAST.

They will be able to assist you with the problem.
ref; > https://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2.0
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
kerft

Post by kerft »

For a while Avast was detecting most of the built in system addons or extensions like foreign language packs and webcompat in Firefox as untrusted. Try their support forum to find out how to hide the warning or report to them the false positive. Avast and avg have merged as a company.
Some antivirus comparisons are here https://www.av-comparatives.org/consumer/ and here https://www.av-comparatives.org/tests/r ... factsheet/ they do perhaps agree with your idea that Defender has more false positives. I rarely hear anyone say anything good about anything other than defender.

Regardless of what you do for antivirus, you can run a manual scan with the free version of malwarebytes once in a while. The free version doesn't do much in the background so is pretty safe to install and can be installed along with another antivirus.
therube

Post by therube »

Unreputable
I bet someone in these parts would take issue with that ;-).
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Wiggam72

Post by Wiggam72 »

LIMPET235 and kerft, thanks for the info. kerft, according to the AV comparison links you posted, Avast came out fairly well and makes it hard for me to change my mind about changing to another AV since the others either performed as well or worse as a whole.
therube wrote:
Unreputable
I bet someone in these parts would take issue with that ;-).
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: That's why I'm still waiting to hear from said person!! Can't believe he's just gonna take that layin' down!!
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

Developer's response: "WTF"

(I'm not really interested in installing Avast to try to understand what it does.)
Wiggam72

Post by Wiggam72 »

jscher2000 wrote:Developer's response: "WTF"

(I'm not really interested in installing Avast to try to understand what it does.)
Oh, didn't expect that response. I would be concerned as the dev since it can potentially cause users to uninstall the extension without just cause. If I didn't get it from a thread you posted in, it's quite possible that I might have uninstalled it thinking something is wrong with it and it's quite possible that some have done it already.

Is it considered bad etiquette for a dev to contact a company that gives a false-positive, or is simply better for end-users to contact them? I hate to see a good product/software get a bad rap.
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Wiggam72 wrote:What can I do to prevent this from happening?
:idea: https://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
James

Post by James »

Both Avast and AVG has been having issues with Firefox.
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/pa ... y-software
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Wiggam72 wrote:Oh, didn't expect that response. I would be concerned as the dev since it can potentially cause users to uninstall the extension without just cause.
As you've found, there are only so many hoops that extension authors of completely free extensions are willing to jump through.

We are hardly motivated by fame and meaningless user numbers, you know.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

Just to be clear, "WTF" does not mean "whatever".

I posted on the Avast forums in the section for resolving false positives: https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=227825.0
Wiggam72

Post by Wiggam72 »

Great! =D> Now all we have to do is wait and see if Avast finds a remedy for the problem.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

If anyone cares to check the AVAST Support forums/fora, you will see that it does
report a heap of "False +ves" quite often after an update.
I keep an eye out there almost daily for the latest "errors" that users are getting.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)