Reset profile? Re-intall?

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Wonderful1

Reset profile? Re-intall?

Post by Wonderful1 »

I've used TB for years and always been happy. I'm now using Quantum, but I've made several changes to my email system such that my original settings don't totally work. What do I need to do to reset the original email settings? My provider says everything is working correctly from their end.
Daifne

Re: Reset profile? Re-intall?

Post by Daifne »

Moving to Thunderbird Support
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

I've made several changes to my email system such that my original settings don't totally work. What do I need to do to reset the original email settings?
More detail would be helpful before we offer any suggestions. What sort of things are not "totally work(ing)"? Do you know what changes you made?
How is the account set up in Thunderbird, as POP or IMAP? Find out using menu path Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->Server Type at the top right of the dialogue. Who is the email provider?
Wonderful1

Post by Wonderful1 »

provider is zoomtown (cincinnati Bell). The email on one of the emails had its password changed, and also I want to change from pop3 server to imap.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Well, you don't have to reset a profile or install to accomplish either of those things.

Go to TOOLS > OPTIONS >SECURITY > PASSWORDS tab> SAVED PASSWORDS button and there you can delete old passwords. Restart Thunderbird to ensure that the stored password is cleared from memory. The next time you "Get Mail" for that account, Thunderbird will ask for the password and you can check the box to remember the new password value.

See this article to switch you account(s) from POP to IMAP. https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/sw ... ap-account
Wonderful1

Post by Wonderful1 »

Re: the first step. I've deleted the saved passwords. When I try to sign in again, it tells me the sign in is wrong. I try to give it a new sign-in password, it rejects the new password. Which password do I need here? The old one or make up a new one?? The saved password box only shows the latest one, but when I try to use that it won't let me in..=
Wonderful1

Post by Wonderful1 »

How does TB recognize the password has changed?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

How does TB recognize the password has changed?
It doesn't. Thunderbird only sends the stored password to the server which is where it is evaluated.

Did you close and restart Thunderbird after deleting the saved password value?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

You want the new password. Keep in mind that you can't change what password the email provider expects from Thunderbird, all you can do is change what password Thunderbird provides to it. I suggest you sanity check the new password is valid by using it to log into webmail, using a browser.

When you delete a password in Thunderbird that deletes it from storage, but doesn't delete it from memory. You need to restart Thunderbird before it fully deletes/forgets a password.

https://www.cincinnatibell.com/help-cen ... /1327/7215 describes how to change your password (requires a security question and access code). Did you follow that when you changed your password using a browser?

https://www.cincinnatibell.com/help-cen ... /1327/7215 says to use imap.fioptics.com OR imap.fuse.net OR imap.zoomtown.com as the IMAP server, and SSL/TLS on port 993.