We've noticed you're browsing in private mode

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Ztruker

We've noticed you're browsing in private mode

Post by Ztruker »

Trying to look at this article on washingtonpost.com.

Google Chrome web browser has become spy software

I get the subject notice: We've noticed you're browsing in private mode even in Safe Mode. I also added a useragent.override for washingtonpost.com but that didn't help either.

general.useragent.override.washingtonpost.com;Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.2; WOW64; x64;rv:68.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/68.0

Also tried general.useragent.override as well.

I have no idea what is causing this with Seamonkey. Vivaldi and IE work fine. Running in Seamonkey Safe Mode means no active Add-ons or Extensions and any user.css should not be in use.

Suggestions appreciated, thanks
Rich
Do, or do not. There is no try. - Yoda
Frank Lion

Re: We've noticed you're browsing in private mode

Post by Frank Lion »

Ztruker wrote:Suggestions appreciated, thanks
A site specific Chrome UA seems to do the trick.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Ztruker

Post by Ztruker »

Sho nuf, thanks Frank.
Rich
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Ztruker wrote:Sho nuf, thanks Frank.
Usually it's better to stick to a UA close to your real one, i.e. use a Firefox one. But sometimes, as here, you have to wildly depart.

If it's a JS driven popup on a page you don't intend to visit often, I find it quicker to use my JS toggle toolbar button, that turns off JavaScript and reloads the page.

That takes care of those 'Whoa! We see you're using an adblocker!!!' ones, as well. Turning JS off, temporarily, may sometimes mess the page layout up, but you can read the stuff and it keeps you in control of things.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

Considering the topic of the article, is it not ironic that WashingtonPost will stop complaining if you use a Chrome user-agent? I used User Agent Switcher to change my user-agent, and got a black page with faded text. No problem, if you have a bookmarklet that can change the colours. The normal page is yellow, though, so I wonder why they change the page colours?
Ztruker

Post by Ztruker »

Simpler to just use IE or Vivaldi for that one page but I was curious what the cause was. I never look at washingtonpost.com as they are not what I would consider a reliable news source, but this one article I found interesting.
Rich
LordOfTheBored

Post by LordOfTheBored »

If it is the article I think it is, it was a clickbait article that boiled down to "Chrome has cookies, therefore it is spyware!"