Unable to download e-mail with SSL/TSl

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
abrucewebb

Unable to download e-mail with SSL/TSl

Post by abrucewebb »

Hello,

Until the last week or so I had no problem. Then all of a sudden Thunderbird connects to my e-mail server (on Hostwinds) and that's all. It stays connected for a long time and then disconnects. I can get my e-mail using the none setting for security.

I have also noticed that in the stored passwords section that the username it stores for the POP 3 is my old user name that I had before I switched hosts. It used to be bruceweb@--- and now it's just bruce@---. I created all of the same accounts on my new host, but have them all forwarded to the bruce@--- e-mail address. However, the smtp password had the correct username of bruce@---.

Also, if I delete the passwords and restart Thunderbird and try to get my e-mails using SSL/TSL, I'm not asked for a new password. It connects to the Hostwinds server and does nothing. If I do the same and connect with no security, it asks me for a password. However, in the saved passwords it shows the bruceweb@--- username. It does download the messages. I can't find anyway to change the username.

I also use MailWasher and it has no problem accessing my e-mails using a secure connection.

So, I'm really stumped and would appreciate any ideas or suggestions you may have.

Thanks.

bruce
tanstaafl

Re: Unable to download e-mail with SSL/TSl

Post by tanstaafl »

"Also, if I delete the passwords and restart Thunderbird and try to get my e-mails using SSL/TSL, I'm not asked for a new password."

That doesn't make sense unless somehow the authentication method got changed to "no password". Please copy and paste just the "mail and news accounts" section (the rest of the sections won't help, and will just create clutter) from help -> troubleshooting information so that its clearer what your settings are.

https://www.hostwinds.com/guide/setup-e ... in-cpanel/ seems to state you can use port 995 with ssl/tls with a POP account, set the authentication method to 'normal password', use bruce@domain.com (replace 'domain' with your domain) for the username and use the cpanel accounts password.
abrucewebb

Post by abrucewebb »

Thanks for your reply. Here is that section: (I couldn't get it to format correctly copying and pasting so I copied it by hand)

My account is account 2. Account 3 is an old one of my wife’s.

This is with the security set to none:

ID Incoming server

Name Connection Security Authentication Method
Account1 (none) Local Folders None Normal password
Account 2 (pop3) pop.brucewebb.net:110 None Normal password
Account 3 (pop3) pop.brucewebb.net:110 None Normal password

ID Outgoing servers

Name Connection Security Authentication Method Default?

Account1 (This one is blank) (This one is blank) (This one is blank) (This one is blank)
Account 2 sea-shared-14.hostwindsdns.com:465 SSL/TLS Normal password true
Account 3 sea-shared-14.hostwindsdns.com:465 SSL/TLS Normal password true

This is with it set to SSL/TLS:

ID Incoming server

Name Connection Security Authentication Method
Account1 (none) Local Folders None Normal password
Account 2 (pop3) pop.brucewebb.net:995 SSL/TLS Normal password
Account 3 (pop3) pop.brucewebb.net:110 None Normal password

ID Outgoing servers

Name Connection Security Authentication Method Default?

Account1 (This one is blank) (This one is blank) (This one is blank) (This one is blank)
Account 2 sea-shared-14.hostwindsdns.com:465 SSL/TLS Normal password true
Account 3 sea-shared-14.hostwindsdns.com:465 SSL/TLS Normal password true

Thanks again.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

"However, in the saved passwords it shows the bruceweb@--- username. It does download the messages. I can't find anyway to change the username."

The username is set in the accounts settings (top pane). You want to mimic the same username and password that the SMTP server uses, in the POP account. No idea why it doesn't prompt for a password when using SSL/TLS, yet does for "none".

Do bruce and bruceweb use the same mailbox on the host? If so I suggest you get rid of the old account (bruceweb) in Cpanel so that you just have your wifes and your bruce account.

If that doesn't help I suggest you see if a bruce IMAP account has the same problem. You can create one without deleting the POP account.
abrucewebb

Post by abrucewebb »

I'm not sure to where you are referring when you say in account settings (top pane). When I open the Account Settings, I see Account Name which I have as bruce. Your name which I also have as bruce. And then my e-mail address. Which of those would I change? No where in my settings can I see any reference to bruceweb@brucewebb.net. It only shows up when my password is saved in the saved passwords window.

In the manage passwords window, it refers to "username". That is where is has bruceweb@brucewebb.net for the POP3 and bruce@brucewebb.net for SMTP.

bruceweb and bruce are separate e-mails. I have 4 e-mail accounts with the other 3 being forwarded to the bruce account. My previous host allowed unlimited aliases and Hostwinds doesn't, but I have unlimited mailboxes. Not wanting to miss any e-mails transitioning to Hostwinds, I mirrored the mailboxes I had on the old host and not wanting to check each individually, I forward the others.

I will try the IMAP account this weekend.

Thanks again for your help. I don't know why this just started happening as I haven't changed anything and it's worked fine for years.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

You deleted the contents of the password cache, restarted and it has saved passwords for bruceweb@brucewebb.net so something (either the account or a multiple identity) added it when you were prompted for a password. If you can't spot it in the pane I suggest you search for that address using the config editor at tools -> options -> general.

Your username for the SMTP server is correct. I suggest you compare it against the one for the account.
abrucewebb

Post by abrucewebb »

I don't see a config editor in general. This is what I have:

Thunderbird Start Page
When new messages arrive with a customize button
Add-ons with a Manage Add-ons button.

That's it.

What pane are you referring to?

I did look at the error console. There are a lot of warnings, but only one error:

Timestamp: 7/4/2019 2:45:02 AM
Error: uncaught exception: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsIObserverService.removeObserver]" nsresult: "0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://messenger/content/search.xml :: :: line 156" data: no]
abrucewebb

Post by abrucewebb »

Hello again. I updated Thunderbird at Hostwinds tech support's suggestion and I can now download my e-mail with a secure connection.

However, I now get this message when leaving the server settings window:

The Local Directory path "E:\Program Files\Thunderbird\Profiles\jw703ju3.default\Mail\pop.brucewebb.net" is not suitable for message storage. Please choose another directory.

I have no idea what directory I should choose and my e-mail downloads and I can read it so don't know what to do with this error.

Thanks again.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Its complaining because you are not supposed to have profiles in the same directory tree that apps are installed in. In your case you might lose your profile if when Thunderbird is updated it decides to delete a child directory that it doesn't use.

The easiest solution would be to move your profile somewhere safe. See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Dangerous_dir ... hunderbird and http://kb.mozillazine.org/Moving_your_p ... hunderbird