New arrow symbol

Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds
Gone Postal

New arrow symbol

Post by Gone Postal »

Thunderbird 68.0b1 (64-bit).

I am now seeing a new symbol at the right end of the Thunderbird header beside the calendar and task icons. It is a white upward pointing arrow in a green circle. I'm assuming I've missed a note somewhere about the purpose of this arrow so can anyone tell me what it signifies, please?
tanstaafl

Re: New arrow symbol

Post by tanstaafl »

I have 68 beta 2 with the Lightning add-on installed. I don't know what icons you are talking about as I'm not used to seeing a calendar or task icon in a message toolbar. The only place I noticed a calendar icon is in tools -> options.

Please give me more details about where they are. On my PC the right upper corner of a message window (same line as the From: header) has icons in a toolbar for reply, forward, junk and more actions.

It might help if you posted a screen shot. See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Posting_a_scr ... _the_forum

In the future, please ask questions about beta builds in the Thunderbird Builds forum. The Thunderbrid Support forum is meant for questions about production releases.
Gone Postal

Post by Gone Postal »

tanstaafl wrote:It might help if you posted a screen shot. See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Posting_a_scr ... _the_forum

In the future, please ask questions about beta builds in the Thunderbird Builds forum. The Thunderbrid Support forum is meant for questions about production releases.
Thanks for the response.

Icon appears and disappears and is not showing at the moment. When it reappears I'll get a screen shot and post it.

In the meantime, I have the Menu Bar and Mail Toolbar showing. Below the Mail Toolbar are the open tabs. At the right hand end of the tab bar are the Task and Calendar tab icons. The new arrow symbol appears beside those two icons.

Are you going to move the topic to the Builds Forum?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

"Are you going to move the topic to the Builds Forum?"
I'm going to interpret that as a request to do so.

"Below the Mail Toolbar are the open tabs. At the right hand end of the tab bar are the Task and Calendar tab icons. The new arrow symbol appears beside those two icons."

I see them now. I right clicked on the main windows toolbar, selected customize and looked at the possible icons. I didn't spot one whose shape matched "white upward pointing arrow in a green circle". There aren't many add-ons that support the version 68 beta. Are you using one?
DN123ABC

Post by DN123ABC »

I'm guessing it is either an addon, or maybe a notification that something needs an update. Did you try clicking on it?
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

Gone Postal wrote:Thunderbird 68.0b1 (64-bit).

I am now seeing a new symbol at the right end of the Thunderbird header beside the calendar and task icons. It is a white upward pointing arrow in a green circle. I'm assuming I've missed a note somewhere about the purpose of this arrow so can anyone tell me what it signifies, please?
That is probably the Update notification icon for the update to 68.0b2 which was released on June 14th. Which should have a door hanger like Firefox, indicating an update is available for download, or a restart is needed.

Unfortunately the door hanger didn't appear, but I believe that bug is now fixed.

68 Beta Notes

Bug 1549242 Add doorhanger notifications for app update
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
Gone Postal

Post by Gone Postal »

DN123ABC wrote:I'm guessing it is either an addon, or maybe a notification that something needs an update. Did you try clicking on it?
I did and there was no response.
Gone Postal

Post by Gone Postal »

WaltS48 wrote:
Gone Postal wrote:Thunderbird 68.0b1 (64-bit).

That is probably the Update notification icon for the update to 68.0b2 which was released on June 14th. Which should have a door hanger like Firefox, indicating an update is available for download, or a restart is needed.

Unfortunately the door hanger didn't appear, but I believe that bug is now fixed.

68 Beta Notes

Thanks for the response (and to tanstaafl). Haven't seen the icon since the update so quite possibly you've nailed it. We'll have to wait and see for the next update.
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

It really isn't working properly.

You get the doorhanger in Thunderbird Daily, click on Update and the update downloads and installs, but I still have to go to Help > About Thunderbird to click the Restart button.
Gone Postal

Post by Gone Postal »

WaltS48 wrote:It really isn't working properly.

You get the doorhanger in Thunderbird Daily, click on Update and the update downloads and installs, but I still have to go to Help > About Thunderbird to click the Restart button.
Now been offered update to v68.0b3. The green circle with the arrow has appeared although nothing happens when I click on it.
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

Gone Postal wrote:

Now been offered update to v68.0b3. The green circle with the arrow has appeared although nothing happens when I click on it.
Nothing is going to happen when you click on it. It is still a WIP.

A doorhanger should appear with "An update is available" message under the circle as the screenshots in the bug I linked to shows.
If the user does see it and clicks "Download Update" the update downloads and there is no notification prompt to "Restart.
I still have to use Help > About and click on the "Restart to update" button.

Conclusion: Use Help > About to update until this works properly.

Reopen the bug and make a comment.

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.c ... 549242#c20
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

Gone Postal wrote:

I did some testing and reopened the bug.

gunrunnerjohn

Post by gunrunnerjohn »

WaltS48 wrote:Nothing is going to happen when you click on it. It is still a WIP.
I had the same question. Explain to me why you'd stick a non-functional icon up with no explanation and no function? At the very least, it could have simply said it was a WIP, not just sit there like a deaf/mute with no explanation of why it was there.