Google Blocks Outgoing Google.com mail

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
orealius

Google Blocks Outgoing Google.com mail

Post by orealius »

I notice that unless I turn on "Allow less secure Apps" through my Google, I can't send mail out from my Google.com account on TB.
Is this as it should be?
tanstaafl

Re: Google Blocks Outgoing Google.com mail

Post by tanstaafl »

Not sure. It would have helped if you had provided the full text of the error message.

There are two different authentication methods for Gmail if you use a IMAP account - OAuth2 and "normal password". If you use normal password you need to enable "allow less secure apps" or it normally will not let you log in and displays an error message that tries to convince you to use their webmail or gmail app instead.

Your error is different from what I would expect, but I'm used to seeing this problem with the IMAP server (not the SMTP server), so perhaps it fails differently. Perhaps you have OAuth2 set for the Gmail IMAP account and normal password set for the Gmail SMTP server? I suggest you enable "allow less secure apps" and write this off as yet another Gmail quirk.

"Using a password is just as secure as OAuth2, except for the possibility for somebody who can access your PC to use Tools -> Options -> Security -> Passwords -> Saved Passwords to view your saved password. This is really just an attempt to increase use of OAuth2, which supports their business plan by supporting logging into third party web sites such as Facebook or Twitter without exposing the users password. After a while some other email providers such as Yahoo have started doing the same thing to encourage people to use their apps or webmail (instead of a 3rd party email client)."
Noah Werka

Post by Noah Werka »

Yes it is true. You have to go to the Gmail web page and go to Settings. Form there you can find the box to check Allow less secure apps to access Gmail. Check the box and all should be good. I had to do the same for Seamonkey mail.

Noah W
orealius

Post by orealius »

Gracias!
DC_CPR

Post by DC_CPR »

Deeply frustrating not being able to receive domain emails in Thunderbird using IMAP.Gmail.com
Keep getting authentication errors https://support.google.com/mail/answer/7126229
Have followed all the guidance (i think) and set up App Password for Thunderbird but still can't verify that am owner of domain to Gmail because i don't receive the verification email to my domain email
Not quite sure what has changed. This had worked fine for 5 years +.
Am now considering going down the "allow less secure apps" route rather than OAuth2. Appreciate all the good advice am seeing on this Forum. Found some of help on Gmail Forums was contradictory
Urgently need to be able to receive email again for my wife's business. Can send them OK
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

The main reason for creating a app password is if you want to enable two step verification for your smartphone to use Gmail. Otherwise, IMHO its not worth the additional hassle.

Using OAuth2 usually has less hassles than using normal password/configuring "allow less secure apps".

You state you can't receive domain emails using a Gmail IMAP account. I assume webmail is working okay, you just have problems configuring IMAP/SMTP.

1) Are you really using GSuite, rather than Gmail?
2) The GSuite Setup has as one of its steps "To complete your domain verification, follow your host-specific instructions"
Is that where you are running into the problem?
3) Who is hosting your domain? Are they on the list at https://support.google.com/a/topic/1409901 ?

https://support.google.com/a/answer/105 ... ic=4456189
https://support.google.com/a/answer/60216?hl=en
DC_CPR

Post by DC_CPR »

Really appreciate your thoughts on this.

Your questions are helpful because I'm realising my deep confusion might be compounded by how I'm accessing the GMail IMAP/SMTP service.

I set up domain email via Gmail many years ago when it was free (pre GSuite) and mostly only accessed by Thunderbird (accessing via webmail on very few occasions many years ago)
Have just logged into the domain account on Google for first time (rather than the .....@gmail account) and I see a GSuite logo top right so am clearly using free version of GSuite

Recently I did change domain host to one.com and had manually edited the MX record to imap.gmail.com and am now thinking this is where problem lies. I'll follow the guidance you kindly linked to and update you anon. Thanks again
DC_CPR

Post by DC_CPR »

All sorted now. Have now manually edited the MX records appropriately and am getting the email in Thunderbird
Thanks