I upped FF to 68, now what and how to delete

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
bob c

I upped FF to 68, now what and how to delete

Post by bob c »

upgraded to 68. Can anyone suggest a way to delete the recommended themes, and recommended addons that now reside in the addons section, that FF decided I would want there. no delete button anywhere, on any menu that I can see. what a jumbled page now.
jscher2000

Re: I upped FF to 68, now what and how to delete

Post by jscher2000 »

Try this:

Go to the Options/Preferences page:

* Windows: "3-bar" menu button (or Tools menu) > Options
* Mac: "3-bar" menu button (or Firefox menu) > Preferences
* Linux: "3-bar" menu button (or Edit menu) > Preferences
* Any system: type or paste about:preferences into the address bar and press Enter/Return to load it

In the search box at the top of the page, type recommend and Firefox should filter to all the various places the word "recommend" appears on the page.

Scroll down to the Browsing section and uncheck the box for "Recommend extensions as you browse"

Scroll down to the Firefox Data Collection and Use section and uncheck the box for "Allow Firefox to make personalized extension recommendations" (see: https://support.mozilla.org/kb/personal ... mendations)

Success?
bob c

Post by bob c »

I already had those unchecked, and FF68 went right by those settings.

I have 4 four words on my addons page, on left side, recommendations, extensions, themes, plugins.

FF68 let these recommended extensions and themes, show in the (extensions and themes section) with what I had installed and what I was using, besides showing them in the "recommendations section." What a mess to have to look at my and there junk in those 2 sections which were just for what was running in FF.

I found 4 lines in the config file, that I set to false from true, and now they don't show in the 2 sections for extensions and themes, that is just what I have put in FF. They only show in the recommendations section, where they should be, there just recommendations. I would still like to delete them, but have not found a way yet.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Moving to Firefox Builds where pre-release versions are discussed.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

You can check this pref on the about:config page:
extensions.htmlaboutaddons.recommendations.enabled = false
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Note that Firefox 68 will likely be released tomorrow (currently RC3).
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

The settings in Options/Preferences are about CFR (Contextual Feature Recommender)
https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2018/12/1 ... ble-today/

Recommend extensions as you browse:
browser.newtabpage.activity-stream.asrouter.userprefs.cfr.addons

Recommend features as you browse:
browser.newtabpage.activity-stream.asrouter.userprefs.cfr.features

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/re ... ns-firefox
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/re ... ns-program
bob c

Post by bob c »

I have 7 items in the "Recommendations" under tools-addons. 3 themes- and 4 addons that can be installed, that I do not want, that Mozilla gave Firefox when FF68 was upgraded, not a single way to delete these out of that "Recommendations" heading. How do I delete them, if Mozilla can't provide a remove or delete button on them or in that heading.

edit--I have always had the appropriate buttons unchecked to not allow recommendations-- and FF68 still did it, with noway to delete them out of there.
Last edited by bob c on July 9th, 2019, 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
therube

Post by therube »

So that's what you're talking about, (the new poc) Addons Manager, about:addons.
And these are "recommendations", not anything that has actually been installed.

Well, that was mighty clear.

extensions.htmlaboutaddons.enabled

Themes, I'd never even looked there to see what crap is there (& there is), so not sure offhand?

Oh, that handles both extensions & themes.
It didn't seem to zap the theme crap when I first looked. (Probably a bug in there, no doubt. But hey, it's release day, so let'r go!)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

bob c wrote:I have 7 items in the "Recommendations" under tools-addons. 3 themes- and 4 addons that can be installed, that I do not want, that Mozilla gave Firefox when FF68 was upgraded, not a single way to delete these out of that "Recommendations" heading. How do I delete them, if Mozilla can't provide a remove or delete button on them or in that heading.

edit--I have always had the appropriate buttons unchecked to not allow recommendations-- and FF68 still did it, with noway to delete them out of there.
Did you want to delete them when that heading was "Get Add-ons" instead of "Recommendations"?
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
bob c

Post by bob c »

Yes I want to delete them. If I go to Tools-Addons-(as said in my OP)

I have 4 four words on my addons manager page, on left side, recommendations, extensions, themes, plugins. These 7 items are all listed in the recommendations page--they were listed also in the extensions and themes pages since that 's what they are, but the config lines I turned to false from true got rid of them there.

Now they just show up in the recommendations page, all 7, with absolutely, on my FF, noway to delete them, which is what I want, since I don't care about any of them, and I certainly don't want to take a chance of FF installing any of them, since it put them on my computer in the 1st place without asking me. No menu to get rid of them, no button, no nothing. How do I delete them. All 7.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

they new addon managaer shows on bottom (after activ/deactivated section) recommendations, thats NOT "get addons". anyhow if you have read carefully here you already got the solution!
theses recommensdations are NOT show in the old XUL addon manager:

extensions.htmlaboutaddons.enabled <-- false

now, where is the problem?

btw, you cant "delete" the recommendations, thats rubbish.
if the posted line above dont work - your profile is damaged, whatever, go repair it.
bob c

Post by bob c »

what the hell are you talking about

those 7 extensions and themes showed in , recommendations, extensions, themes, in my FF68, all 3 places, and I had the boxes unchecked to recommend anything.

and why can't you delete the recommendations in that section, when I upgraded to FF68, it took one of those new themes it recommended and installed it on my system, and took out my Royal 2 theme, so I had to uninstall it and put back my Royal 2 theme. So where did it tell me I could not delete them. I did not read that anywhere. Anywhere. I didn't see you sitting here by me at my computer when this happened.
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

dickvl wrote:You can check this pref on the about:config page:
Thanks Dick, I was looking for that pref and bada bing ....
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

mightyglydd wrote:
dickvl wrote:You can check this pref on the about:config page:
Thanks Dick, I was looking for that pref and bada bing ....
Doesn't appear to work in Nightly 70.0a1, even after a restart.

Still curious as too why the OP didn't want to remove the extensions from Get Add-ons when that was the name of the tab.
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5