Go to latest email

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
perkin5

Go to latest email

Post by perkin5 »

When I click on a folder, I expect the Message pane to scroll to the latest email. Sometimes it does but sometimes it doesn't.
Am I missing a setting or what?
Mike S Heath
tanstaafl

Re: Go to latest email

Post by tanstaafl »

Do you prefer ascending or descending sorting? Both seem to work okay on my configuration without doing anything other than click on the Date column or change view -> sort by though I prefer descending sorting (newest at top of folder, so no need for it to scroll)

See if you have the same problem if you temporarily disable all add-ons using "help -> restart with add-ons disabled".
perkin5

Post by perkin5 »

Thanks for responding. I have been using ascending but I like your idea and changed the default sort order to descending. I did this in about:config but annoyingly I still had to go into the individual folder settings and change those as well as they appear to override the default.

I hope that's fixed it for me.
Mike S Heath
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

If you click the weird little widget at the far right of the column headers, at the very bottom of the list box is "apply columns to -> folder and its children". That might reduce the amount of work next time.
perkin5

Post by perkin5 »

Fascinated by the little widget which I had not noticed before but it only seems to apply the same columns and doesn't change the sort order for me. My version is 60.7.2 32-bit Windows 10 by the way.
Mike S Heath
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Whatever the folders sort order is set to gets inherited in the child folders too (at least last time I tried it) when you use "apply columns to -> folder and its children".