FF vs Chrome

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
tnffuser

FF vs Chrome

Post by tnffuser »

No biggie, but curious.

What is the difference in how FF vs Chrome works. I use Win10.
When I load FF it loads 4 - 5 processes and all is well even with multiple tabs.

When I load Chrome it loads 12 - 16 processes and the pc goes wild with my hard drive thrashing.
The HD will calm down then the hard drive will start thrashing with multiple tabs then calm down then start thrashing again. This continues the entire Chrome session it.
Both FF and Chrome seem to be using approximately the same amount of CPU/Memory resources. That is if Chrome stays calm. I rarely ever using it for this reason.
jscher2000

Re: FF vs Chrome

Post by jscher2000 »

Firefox content processes can host more than one tab. Chrome uses more processes. This may or may not be a problem depending your system and your browsing style.
tnffuser

Post by tnffuser »

At 80 my browsing style is S L O W with news sites, eBay, Amazon, etc. type browsing.
My system is most adequate. Actually have a degree in computer science among others. Been a long time ago but I think is was Abe Lincoln who handed me the diploma after his commencement address.

It is just that using FF the CPU/Memory usage stays pretty level, no violent HD thrashing.
Chrome on the other hand the memory and CPU usage will spike at 90 - 100% at times with the HD going wild thrashing about.
No need to use Chrome actually, just find strange the difference.
therube

Post by therube »

I think is was Abe Lincoln who handed me the diploma after his commencement address
LOL.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
kerft

Post by kerft »

If the reason you don't want hard drive access is the noise, solid state drives make no noise and the prices have come down a lot.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

chromium has no load here, same as firefox, all quiet. maybe your used antivirus (other than windows defender) is going wild.
Exoteeth

Post by Exoteeth »

Don't use Chrome. Once a week it probes your HD supposedly to find and remove programs that give it trouble. (Look up swreporter) It will do this whether you run the program or not. I was a Chrome junkie until I found out why my PC would slow to a crawl once a week. Google has gone off their rocker.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

well, thats a "chrome" problem (which ofc opt-out, go searchengine), i use "chromium". dont know why people still use "chrome" instead "chromium" which is the base of all.