Remove "Visit" and "Search with..." from Firefox 68 urlbar

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
anewuser

Remove "Visit" and "Search with..." from Firefox 68 urlbar

Post by anewuser »

How to hide the "- Visit" / "Search with..." items from the Firefox 68 address bar?
DanRaisch

Re: Remove "Visit" and "Search with..." from Firefox 68 urlb

Post by DanRaisch »

I don't see those in version 68.0 under Win10. Please post a screenshot of what you are seeing. http://kb.mozillazine.org/Posting_a_scr ... _the_forum
anewuser

Post by anewuser »

The "Visit" suggestions are based on my bookmarks. If there are no matches, it turns into "Search with...":

This works on the browser toolbox, but does nothing after I add it to userChrome.css:

Code: Select all

#urlbar-results .urlbarView-row:first-child{display:none !important}
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

It's simpler to use the id of the first element:

Code: Select all

#urlbar-results #urlbarView-row-0 {
    display:none !important;
  }
Note: The new drop-down uses mostly HTML elements, so you should not have the XUL @namespace line at the top of your rules.
anewuser

Post by anewuser »

@jscher2000 Thank you. Removing the @namespace line did the trick. I was afraid that was going to break my other rules, but everything seems to be working.
therube

Post by therube »

(I'd seen that "Visit", & never really understood its' connotation & simply ignored it.

And looking now, I realize it only shows 10 search suggestions, no scrolling or such. That seems ignorant, but then, why not [screw things up even more].
edit: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14837356
Changed it to 99. Ugly.
And then its far from smooth at that; display 12 or so entries, noticeable pause, then displaying the rest of the [screen full].)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
m.rumble

Post by m.rumble »

Removing the blue search bar using: browser.urlbar.maxRichResults: set to 0 / browser.urlbar.oneOffSearches: set to false
leaves a white strip across the top of the tabs bar. Any way to get rid of it?

Image at: https://imgur.com/a/Dad8TBc

Note: Can't figure out how to have the image appear in the forum.
therube

Post by therube »

(
And looking now, I realize it only shows 10 search suggestions, no scrolling or such. That seems ignorant, but then, why not [screw things up even more].
edit: viewtopic.php?p=14837356#p14837356
Changed it to 99. Ugly.
And then its far from smooth at that; display 12 or so entries, noticeable pause, then displaying the rest of the [screen full].
Ah, didn't realize but what I described, is this, Scrollbar missing from suggested results when typing in URL.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

m.rumble wrote:Removing the blue search bar using: browser.urlbar.maxRichResults: set to 0 / browser.urlbar.oneOffSearches: set to false
leaves a white strip across the top of the tabs bar. Any way to get rid of it?

Image at: https://imgur.com/a/Dad8TBc
You can either revert the changes to the drop-down by switching Firefox back to the old one, or add a rule to your userChrome.css to hide the new drop-down.

Reverting

(1) In a new tab, type or paste about:config in the address bar and press Enter/Return. Click the button promising to be careful or accepting the risk.

(2) In the search box above the list, type or paste URLB and pause while the list is filtered

(3) Double-click the browser.urlbar.quantumbar preference to switch the value from true to false

CSS

I think it's this, but I don't use it myself:

panel#urlbar-results { display: none !important }
m.rumble

Post by m.rumble »

Thanks jscher2000,
I used the last line in your post (also suggested in another thread) and it worked for me. I don't know why Mozilla has to keep playing around with things that don't need fixing. If they do change something, at least they should give us a way to decline the change.
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

m.rumble wrote:I don't know why Mozilla has to keep playing around with things that don't need fixing. If they do change something, at least they should give us a way to decline the change.
The weird and proprietary XUL and XBL language used to build the user interface is gradually getting replaced with HTML and CSS. For the time being, you can easily switch back to the old code using a preference in about:config as I described in post.