Daily Build Thread 2019-01-01+ (after Dawn)

Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds
Tin Smith

Re: Daily Build Thread 2019-01-01+ (after Dawn)

Post by Tin Smith »

Would anyone know if Thunderbird 60.8 updates to TB 68.0? And if yes would you know the proposed release date?
Snake4

Post by Snake4 »

yes it'll update to 68 , 68 will be released when ready. there is no Schedule for Thunderbirds releases
Nightly Blog
Release Calendar
Posted With Chrome Or Firefox
Snake4

Post by Snake4 »

WaltS48 wrote:
Mouse4 wrote:get Ready for Thunderbird About:Addons to be turned into Crapola just like Firefox's in Nightly 70
Once you go there and install all the extensions you are going to use. Who cares :?:

I also don't see anything different in my TB 68.0b4 or TB 70.0a1. Users probably won't have to worry about it until TB 76 is released and who knows what changes Mozilla will make to Firefox by that version. If it is still around.
about:addons just looks ugly , like it does in Firefox now.
Nightly Blog
Release Calendar
Tin Smith

Post by Tin Smith »

Mouse4 wrote:yes it'll update to 68 , 68 will be released when ready. there is no Schedule for Thunderbirds releases
Thank you.
Snake4

Post by Snake4 »

looks like there will be a Thunderbird68 Beta5 Made, get it from here when available https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/thunderbird/beta/all/ and the 68Beta5 release notes should be also here to https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/thund ... easenotes/

Thunderbird Beta5
Nightly Blog
Release Calendar
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

beta5 is live
Snake4

Post by Snake4 »

wsmwk wrote:beta5 is live
got it, thanks dude,
Nightly Blog
Release Calendar
Snake4

Post by Snake4 »

wsmwk wrote:beta5 is live
is Beta5 likely to be the last Beta before Final ?
Nightly Blog
Release Calendar
Tin Smith

Post by Tin Smith »

Do I understand it correctly, from other threads here, that Thunderbird 68.0 will only be released after 'the 50 most popular extensions are made into Web Extensions? Personally I use one and it has been, for a long time, been modified.

Is there, I assume there is, a list of these extensions? May we see it? May we see a list of the progress? A list of the possibility of this list being completed?
Snake4

Post by Snake4 »

thunderbird releases have nothing to do with Extensions whether there compatible with a release or not. , thunderbird 68 final will be released when 68 final is Ready, not when Extensions support 68.
Nightly Blog
Release Calendar
Tin Smith

Post by Tin Smith »

Mouse4 wrote:thunderbird releases have nothing to do with Extensions whether there compatible with a release or not. , thunderbird 68 final will be released when 68 final is Ready, not when Extensions support 68.

So this post, from this forum, is incorrect?

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3052279

There was another post but I can not find it at the moment.
Snake4

Post by Snake4 »

David1949 wrote:
Mouse4 wrote:thunderbird releases have nothing to do with Extensions whether there compatible with a release or not. , thunderbird 68 final will be released when 68 final is Ready, not when Extensions support 68.

So this post, from this forum, is incorrect?

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3052279

There was another post but I can not find it at the moment.
its up to the Authors of the Extensions to make them work with 68, not the other way around so yeah that Mod is wrong. 68 will be released whether extensions work with the final or not.
Nightly Blog
Release Calendar
Tin Smith

Post by Tin Smith »

its up to the Authors of the Extensions to make them work with 68, not the other way around so yeah that Mod is wrong. 68 will be released whether extensions work with the final or not.

Before the fight starts... :lol: I agree with you. In my past experience it has always been the extension devs that had to provide a product that worked with the software.

Peace?
Snake4

Post by Snake4 »

David1949 wrote:

Before the fight starts... :lol: I agree with you. In my past experience it has always been the extension devs that had to provide a product that worked with the software.

Peace?
the only Extension that has to work in TB68 final release is Lightning which is a Thunderbird Dev issue anyway, which has nothing to do with any other Extensions offered via Thunderbird addons site.
Nightly Blog
Release Calendar
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

David1949 wrote:Do I understand it correctly, from other threads here, that Thunderbird 68.0 will only be released after 'the 50 most popular extensions are made into Web Extensions?
This is incorrect. The person who stated this in http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3052279 misinterpreted what is written in https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1559628#c3 "I think we're hoping most if not all of the top 50 will get 68 versions before we go to auto-updates."

So many interesting words in that sentence: auto-updates, most, hope, think - three of those words are not absolute markers. Let's take two of those items:
1. Auto-updates is not the same as "releasing". Releasing is when 68 is made public for download. But auto-updates is when we set a rate of automatic notice in the product to users that a new version is available.
2. "Most" is not an absolute threshold.

As a release manager, I can tell you we seek the combination of product quality and other factors (which includes add-on availability) before releasing, and later when we enable auto-updates. Each has different considerations and goals. Add-on availability is only one consideration of many. (Users might also see at various times auto-updates enabled briefly at low rates because we want to slowly have more users exposed to the new version so we can gauge and if necessary improve the quality.)

Based on past experience I doubt that all the top 50 add-ons will be ready when we permanently turn on auto-updates - which we expect to be at least several weeks away.