2.53 unofficial and gecko version

Discussion about Seamonkey builds
Rob_S

Re: 2.53 unofficial and gecko version

Post by Rob_S »

Yes, using exactly that version.

So, when the two files "a single audio .m4a & a single video .m4a." show up, are you able to select one of them and download it?

On mine, I cannot get any selection checkmarks to appear in the first column, and when I click "OK" at the bottom of the dialog, it creates correctly named zero byte files in the download folder, but does not start the download manager, and does not download anything.

If it is working for you, are you using the 64 bit or the 32 bit version of seamonkey 2.53?
therube

Post by therube »

Hmm.

I've only ever used an external download manager.
(Which did successfully download the .m4a, .mp4.)

No checkmarks.
Sure enough.
Does that only happen in 2.53 or in 2.49 also?
2.53 only.

The checkmarks are there, I'm guessing, you just can't see them ;-).

2.53 only.
2.53 & the default theme.
If you change to the Modern Theme (then after clicking once into the dialog box) the checkboxes do turn up.

(I'll note that this works as expected in FF 56.)

https://forums.informaction.com/viewtop ... 11&t=25604
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

You are right, I do see the checkmarks in the modern theme

However, I still get either zero byte files, using "browser built in" or nothing at all.

What do you use for external download manager, and where do you get it from?
nickhog

Post by nickhog »

Has anyone found issues in 2.53 (64bit) with bookmarks? Bookmark This page doesn't add a bookmark for me.
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

nickhog wrote:Has anyone found issues in 2.53 (64bit) with bookmarks? Bookmark This page doesn't add a bookmark for me.
Works correct for me with latest build (Build identifier: 20190620141005). Make new profile (for test) and check if it works there.
--
nickhog

Post by nickhog »

nickhog wrote:
Has anyone found issues in 2.53 (64bit) with bookmarks? Bookmark This page doesn't add a bookmark for me.

Works correct for me with latest build (Build identifier: 20190620141005). Make new profile (for test) and check if it works there.
:oops: I've been messing with this for the past 3 days and couldn't get it to work... Well... Don't know if I may have done something differently but, After using MOZBACK to create a backup of my 2.49.3, uninstalling 2.49.3, installing 2.53 (Build identifier: 20190617130011), restoring 2.49.3 backup, everything seems to be working fine. (all these steps have been the same). Only thing I know for sure that I did differently was custom install in c:\program files (x86)\ folder vice the default c:\program files\ in the normal install. Don't see how that could have any impact. Oh well, sorry to waste your time but I do thank you for the effort...
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

nickhog wrote:After using MOZBACK to create a backup of my 2.49.3, uninstalling 2.49.3, installing 2.53 (Build identifier: 20190617130011), restoring 2.49.3 backup, everything seems to be working fine.
You can use "old" (2.49.x) profile under 2.53 but reverse situation is not recommended - newer SeaMonkey will change (update/upgrade) some files and e.g. bookmarks will not work.

BTW I stopped using MozBackup when I realized it was not making 100% copy of SM profile. Now I'm using 7-Zip to archive entire folder:

Code: Select all

c:\Users\[USER_NAME]\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\SeaMonkey\
It is easy for me maybe because I'm using Total Commander - navigating through and managing folders/files is way much easier then using "Windows Explorer".
--
frg

Post by frg »

nickhog Try setting browser.places.useAsyncTransactions to true. I need to make this the default. Was just afraid to remove the old non async api path but extensions using it are probably broken anyway. If you have any old extensions messing with bookmarks you probably need to deinstall them. Might be caused by one of them. The old bookmarks manager was completely broken in original 2.53 and I ported the Fx 56 library. Additional changes up to Firefox 62 did go into it.

I encountered this once a few weeks ago but a restart cleared it. I think I know where it breaks but this location is stock (badly designed) Gecko code and unless I see some more reports it needs to wait till I find more time.

You might also want to use the Places Integrity check in about:support.
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

Has anyone ever succeeded to get Flashgot to work with this version 2.53.

I just re-installed latest version of both 64bit 2.53 and it did offer to update flashgot.

I do have the selection boxes working in the modern theme, but clicking OK I still do net get any files downloaded.

Typically I use it to download mp3 files that play on certain sites, not so much for videos.

Any more suggestions? Could it be that it only fails in the 64bit version? I am a bit reluctant to install 32 bit over 64bit as I might lose my history again.
frg

Post by frg »

It is broken in post 52 versions and needs an update.

I looked it it briefly because I also used it but don't have the knowledge to fix it.
therube

Post by therube »

SeaMonkey 2.53 + FlashGot works fine when used with an external download manager.

It is only FlashGot (Browser Built In) where 0-byte files are "downloaded".
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

Great, at first I could not figure how to install a download manager, thinking it had to be an add-on for seamonkey

Then I installed free download manager, and it works - Thank you!!!
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

Ooops, spoke too soon.

Free download manager works on sites where there is a single file to be downloaded, but it does not work with multiple files like you might get on a Music page or a Youtube, where you could use flashgot to choose which file. It simply goes to download directly the first file in the list.

So, flashgot still not useable for multi-file downloads....

Looking at other free external download mangers, so far no luck with that.
therube

Post by therube »

I don't know FDM, but NoScript acts as an intermediary between "links" & a download manager.
So what NoScript "sees" (links it sees), it should be able to send the same to a download manager.

Now, as far as "Youtube" is concerned, FlashGot has not been updated in ages, YT changes, constantly, so FG does not work particularly well for "YT".

For multi-file downloads, there is FlashGot All, & FlashGot Selection (& FlashGot Tabs), but what is seen as "all, selection, or tabs" may depend on the particular site...
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

therube wrote:SeaMonkey 2.53 + FlashGot works fine when used with an external download manager.

It is only FlashGot (Browser Built In) where 0-byte files are "downloaded".
Can you run me through what you have to do to get this working with YT? I just get 0kb downloaded with Flashgot 1.5.6.14.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)