number showing in browser tab

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
brynn

number showing in browser tab

Post by brynn »

Hi Friends,
I'm sure I don't know the right terminology so I'll just have to explain this. On some websites - I've seen it in a Discourse type of forum, and also in a RocketChat. Sometimes there is a number in the browser tab, in parentheses. It somehow is indicating messages that it thinks I should see.

And when I say "it", I'm not sure if it's the browser which thinks I need to see something, or the website (forum or chat). Or somehow, both?

Can someone explain what these numbers are or mean? How can I configure them so they can be useful?

I don't have any showing right now, but I can sort of show you. See the tab in the red rectangle, in the attached screenshot. Where it's just a black dot in parentheses right now, sometimes there's a number in the parentheses. After I've looked at all my new messages, that number goes back to a black dot. However, in the chat, I can't always take the time to look at every new message, so I want to find out what the number refers to specifically. And how to use it.

Oh...no attachments? Ok, hold on.... Here:

I've just spent some time trying to find answers in RocketChat support, but with no luck. So now I'm coming at it from the browser preference end. Can I configure how these....I guess it's a sort of notification, although it's not email. Can I configure it through the browser? I can't seem to find any preference to control it, in RocketChat.

I was just looking at SM Prefs, but I don't see anything obvious there. Probably I just don't know the right terminology.

Let me know if I can provide any additional info.

Thanks for your help :)
brynn

Re: number showing in browser tab

Post by brynn »

Oops.... I might have just found the controls in RocketChat.... I'm not sure, but I'll post again as soon as I'm sure.
LordOfTheBored

Post by LordOfTheBored »

I believe, in your example, that the () portion is actually a part of the page's title. The page uses a script to change the title as the number goes up.
From the browser's perspective, it is indistinguishable from the rest of the tab label. Seamonkey has no idea that the parentheses indicate anything special, just that the script changed that from a bullet point to a 1 or a 2 or a whatever. The title is just "(*) chatsite" or "(1) chatsite" instead of simply "chatsite".

For what it is worth, the only site I use that does that sort of thing doesn't have a "zero notifications" indicator, so it is more obvious what is going on under the hood when it shifts from "chatsite" to "(1) chatsite" than your example does.

Not a lot of client-side control over page titles. Honestly, I don't think there's ANY controls over the title presentation in Seamonkey.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Not a SeaMonkey specific issue. Moving to MozillaZine Tech.
brynn

Post by brynn »

No, I didn't fix it after all. I changed something, and the parentheses disappeared. But apparently they disappeared because I had marked all the channels read. As soon as a new message gets posted, the parentheses comes back with a black dot.

If I could just figure out which kind of message puts a number in the parentheses, the feature might be more helpful than annoying.

Since it seems to be some kind of notification, I thought I might be able to control it through SM. But I guess not.

Thanks anyway!
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

I get that recently on Youtube with both Firefox and Waterfox. I haven't figured it out.
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

I don't know about your Rocket Chat etc., but see if this recent thread explains
it a little clearer.
NB: It pertains to Ad Block Plus...& it's notifications.
> http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14835428
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

LoveMyFoxy wrote:I get that recently on Youtube with both Firefox and ******** I haven't figured it out.
Which version, screenshot ?
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

Not related to any of my add-ons. They're on the regular tabs or the tabs in the Taskbar, sometimes in the Bookmark too. Maybe not the same thing that the OP has
https://postimg.cc/XrY9x8JJ
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

mightyglydd wrote:Ever used Google+ ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bV0QNuhN9fU
I use no Google services except for Youtube, after which I scrub my computer with bleach. Oof, someone replied under a knitting question I asked 8 years ago.

Thanks