Page navigation won't work 68 /64bit Linux (Solved)

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Grumpus

Page navigation won't work 68 /64bit Linux (Solved)

Post by Grumpus »

Previously-Doesn't appear to work with default theme. Dotted line shows but text does not change.

To Fix:
Open about:config
toolkit.legacyUserProfileCustomizations.stylesheets if true toggle to false for Linux
Kudos to Diorser for the fix

Tested on other non-working site (Ubuntu Search) various values - worked there as well.
Last edited by Grumpus on July 25th, 2019, 6:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
therube

Re: Page navigation doesn't appear to work 68 /64bit Linux

Post by therube »

Explain?
You click a link, you get a dotted line, but the page doesn't go anywhere?

And this is with a Mozilla release version?
And you (AFAIK) are the only one to run across this?

You've tried Safe Mode?
You've tried a new, clean Profile?

Using Private Browsing?
Have a mouse with a bad clicker?
All links or only some? Are they "javascript" links?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

@therube - the forum navigation list at the bottom right does not change contents but the GO works to get back to the same forum.
When clicking on the box to select a forum a dotted outline shows within the panel but will not change.
Tried in safe mode with the same result.
This with Linux Mint 18.3 and FF68. Default Firefox theme
I seem to remember something like this happening before and there being a toggle in about:config which fixed it but can't find it.
Apparently also the same for some page selectors on Mozilla.org, maybe something relative to content.
Looking at themes after a search for space fantasy selection of system, extension type and relevance box non-operative.

Update: apparently the direction keys work, once the box is clicked the keyboard keys can be used to toggle between forums but you have to be quick as the time runs out with the page script.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
therube

Post by therube »

So here we are in, where are we, in Firefox General land.
In the Jump to: dropdown, select, SeaMonkey Support... is that the idea?

On my end, FF 70, Win7, I'm teleported to SeaMonkey Support, as expected.

I seem to remember something like this happening before and there being a toggle in about:config
So... try:
You've tried a new, clean Profile?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

What's not visible is the list of forums.
Hitting the block or arrow which normally drops the list isn't dropping the list.
Using the direction arrow keys, up or down, moves the list inside the box and will change to the forum listed.
However it does not hold during the scan of the lists and time runs out leaving what ever forum was there when the script time runs out.
If you have the forum of choice in the list and hit go with the mouse arrow, you go there but for some reason the mouse action isn't stalling, scanning or moving the list, showing the list or allowing forum selection for the script to take over.
You have to find the forum by scrolling with the direction arrows and hit the go button with the mouse click.
New profile does not change. Safe Mode does not change, numerous items in about:config do not appear to have affect
therube

Post by therube »

To be clear, we are talking about this:

No issues whatsoever on my end, regardless of browser or extensions or anything else.
No timeouts, no closing, nothing blank.
It scrolls, it selects, it changes.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

Still no fix. There's a number of items in About:config which appear to be Windows related metrics for the mouse wheel but nothing appears to be related to the mouse.
Tried a number of mouse, page and content items, looking at accessibility now. Tried changing the preferences with regard to use of arrow keys, no change.
therube

Post by therube »

Well I'll be...

I "know" I tested in FF, but could it be I didn't do it "correctly".
I have NoScript & uBlock Origin installed (in the Profile I've loaded, currently).

With that configuration, all works as expected.

But, restarting FF in Safe Mode...

the dropdown persists,
I can scroll up/down,
I can select any forum I want

- but selecting a forum does not cause it to load.

I have to select it, then actually hit the GO button to have it change.
therube

Post by therube »

FF 56 works as expected (with no extensions, & also in Safe Mode).
FF 66 works as expected...
therube

Post by therube »

Oh, take whatever I've said with a TON of salt.
I can no longer figure out FF - Profiles & what not, have no clue what to expect, have no clue how to do anything I have done in the past (or even a month ago).

The only thing I can expect is to EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED!
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

I think it's some form of script conflict or content issue. Tried Standard for Content Blocking and it did not affect it.
Tried some of the xul content items, toggled with a restart, no joy.
No response elsewhere. :-k

This is only with the latest Firefox 68 for Linux Mint.
therube

Post by therube »

So actually 68 does work, as does 70.
Appears to be Profile related, but afaict, not prefs.js.
therube

Post by therube »

I am so confused.
You can no longer be sure of what version of FF will open, nor what Profile.

Anyhow, try clearing your /cache2/ directory.
(And whatever you do, don't tell me that that made it work.
It might have, but them as I am so confused...)
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

I'm thinking it's something beyond the "somewhat better than average" user's ability that can only be fixed by the developers.
Regardless of OS. Crossed wires.
Did some looking for Mouse in the dconf-editor and there may be a possibility there but I'm thinking not since all other software appears OK..
If running Linux check you cache before online and after updates there's some Cyrillic characters trying to load, doesn't work if you're not allowing Cyrillic Alphabet.
Files disappear if trying to open the files or copying. Maybe one of those pesky key logger breaches recently warned about at the Register.
Not working on the Register site either

PS: it isn't userChrome either, tried remove and restart, remove and close and restart..
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

Wild guess is there is some css code conflict but haven't been able to pinpoint it,
Noted one of the items in the layout code appears in italic and is unchangeable. layout.css.font-variations.enabled;false Noted as locked.
Also several toggle changes freeze the forum navigation block completely.