Tbird hangs while downloading new messages

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
garyfritz

Re: Tbird hangs while downloading new messages

Post by garyfritz »

No, I didn't think to save the profile from the fizzled laptop. But I copied my profile &etc from the old laptop to populate the new laptop, so I don't think anything was different on the new one?

As for the IMAP problem: I couldn't connect to IMAP to download messages or upload Saved/etc. I could still read my old messages using the local cached copy.

The problem started immediately after the update, so I assumed the update was the cause. But just as I was reading your posts here, 2 hours after the problem started, several messages popped into TB!! Now it's working just peachy. Go figger. I didn't touch anything in the TB configuration.

Not only that, but the 300-400kB test messages I tried even downloaded quickly -- with no hangup problem. Maybe the update fixed it??? Fingers crossed...
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

Do you get an error message when you try to connect to the IMAP server? If so, copy/paste the error message here (if your email address is shown, X out the part before the @, no problem giving us tbe server name).

[Sorry didn't see your recent reply before posting, was on page two for me.]
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 115.0.02 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 115.2.0/115.0.1 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
garyfritz

Post by garyfritz »

When I tried to download mail it said (at the bottom of the TB window) "<<email>> IMAP: Connected to <<mailserver>>..." and then a popup said "Connection to server <<mailserver> timed out." That's all I got.
garyfritz

Post by garyfritz »

garyfritz wrote:Not only that, but the 300-400kB test messages I tried even downloaded quickly -- with no hangup problem. Maybe the update fixed it??? Fingers crossed...
No such luck. I sent 5 test messages totaling about 2MB. Downloaded them instantly, no hangup. But 2 or 3 small messages will hang it up for 15-20 seconds. It's pretty annoying.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

If you disable global search/indexing and uncheck "keep messages for this account on the computer" (which refers to the optional offline folders with a copy of the messages) in synchronization & storage and restart Thunderbird does it have any effect? Note: Temporarily disabling those features doesn't delete the files they use.

You had previously said you had three accounts - your main one, gmail and outlook. Previously you had said the problem only occurred with the main account. Is that still true?

Who is your email provider for the main account? You should keep your email address, username and password secret but I'm not aware of any benefit in hiding who your email provider is and what server you are using. If this problem only occurs with your main account knowing something about who that email provider is might help.
garyfritz

Post by garyfritz »

It's a small regional ISP. Nobody you've ever heard of unless you live in Colorado. I've had this email address for about 24 years now.
garyfritz

Post by garyfritz »

I disabled global search/index, unchecked "keep messages," and restarted. No improvement. I reset the settings and restarted again.

Today it's gotten worse. I've had trouble with IMAP downloading of messages, with TB hanging maybe 10-15 seconds for each message. Today I'm having trouble with IMAP in general. Most of the time I can't connect to IMAP at all. I can send a test message, and another mail client shows that it arrives immediately. So SMTP seems OK. But TB can't download my Inbox or other folders, can't write to my Outbox, etc. My Android mail client, my iPad mail client, and a webmail client have zero trouble.

I don't know if today's total inability to connect to IMAP is related to the hanging-on-download problem. But they're both pretty **** annoying.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

So you don't have this problem with gmail and another one based on outlook, just the account from your regional ISP? You could enable IMAP logging, post the results on a web site such as https://pastebin.com , and post a link to it. That would give somebody (such as myself) a chance to try to identify what Thunderbird doesn't like about that IMAP server. That doesn't guarantee that you can do anything about it though other than file a bug report at https://bugzilla.mozilla.org .

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Session_logging_for_mail/news

A temporary workaround might be to configure your Gmail account in webmail to automatically fetch mail from the ISP's inbox and insert it in the Gmail inbox. Your Gmail IMAP account would see and use those messages. See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Replace_sever ... ne_account for more details.

Have you tried the latest beta? You could do a custom setup where it gets installed in a separate directory. It would use your existing profile, and you could still keep and use your current version of Thunderbird. After trying the beta then you could get rid of one version.

https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/channel/
garyfritz

Post by garyfritz »

Well that's interesting. It had been doing the "can't IMAP" behavior all day, 4-5 hours at least. Now it's not. And in fact I didn't notice any download-hanging on my most recent test attempt. (EDIT: but I did see a hang on the next genuine messages coming in.)

I don't think I have the problem with other providers. Normally gmail forwards directly to my main IMAP account, but the last time I tried turning off forwarding I didn't see a problem. It can be tough to duplicate on demand, though.

The other (Outlook) account has been dormant for some time, but I just tried sending some test messages and didn't have any issues.

The IMAP logging might be a good idea. I'll try that if it does the "can't IMAP" thing again. Do you think it would be worth trying it on the "hanging while downloading" issue?

The beta might be a good option, as long as it transfers over all my settings &etc. (And local messages?) I temporarily had a new laptop last winter, and it had no problem. Then there was a problem with the new laptop and I reverted back to my old one. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling and that didn't help. Maybe a whole fresh new beta would work better.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

The beta uses your existing profile, so there is no need to transfer anything.

If the hanging while downloading issue comes back I think enabling IMAP logging would be worthwhile. It can take you a while to figure out how to get that working though. I'll update the KB article with some examples that should help, tomorrow.
AsokSmith

Post by AsokSmith »

Hi.

Is the Colorado ISP zingserve? because we've just started having the exact same problem ... worked for years ... no changes and boom INBOX won't fully load beyond some arbitrary date for our main business account ... tried deleting the account on zingserve and re-creating it from scratch ... nothing will make it work ... all other email accounts are fine ... basically zingserve refuses to help.

you can email me at xxxxxx @ reliancepc.com

thanks.
Last edited by DanRaisch on July 27th, 2019, 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Email address obscured per forum rules. http://forums.mozillazine.org/faq.php?mode=rules#f4r4
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You've replied to a message that died more than a year ago. Please check the date of prior posts before replying. If you continue to have this issue and require support, please create a new topic.

Locking this thread due to the age of the original posts.