SM Mail; reply above the text?

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
videobruce

SM Mail; reply above the text?

Post by videobruce »

I went thru the Preferences and I don't see where I can get my reply above/before the original text of the message I'm responding (unlike TB mail).

Why it defaults to after since most other e-mail clients place the response at the top of the page I have every used (including businesses).
Browsers that don't have a conventional horizontal Menu bar (where it's been for 25 years) are poorly designed. Period. Stop 'fixing' something that isn't broke!
TPR75

Re: SM Mail; reply above the text?

Post by TPR75 »

videobruce wrote:Why it defaults to after since most other e-mail clients place the response at the top of the page I have every used (including businesses).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etiquette_in_technology

Netiquette Guidelines (page no. 8)
If you are sending a reply to a message or a posting be sure you
summarize the original at the top of the message, or include just
enough text of the original to give a context. This will make
sure readers understand when they start to read your response.
Since NetNews, especially, is proliferated by distributing the
postings from one host to another, it is possible to see a
response to a message before seeing the original. Giving context
helps everyone. But do not include the entire original!
A: Because it is perturbing natural way of reading.
Q: Why?
A: Answering above original text (top-posting).
Q: What is most irritating in Usenet?

8-)

... but if you really want to change GOOD behavior to BAD then try this preference:

Code: Select all

mail.identity.default.reply_on_top
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Reply_above_quoted_message
In address bar type "about:config", search for above and change it to "1".

:roll:
--
videobruce

Post by videobruce »

It might be the natural way of reading, but with e-mail chains, endless scrolling down to the bottom is a pain, time consuming and unnecessary. When one gets dozens of e-mails over a day, one doesn't have time to 'dig' thru them for the last reply, especially in a work environment. Been there, done that. Besides, I know what the e-mail is about usually by the title.
All I care about is the most recent response, not the previous ones.

"good" behavior is an opinion, something that not everyone agrees with. The point is there should be a easy option to change (in preferences) what someone else 'thinks' is the way to do it. AKA; M$ mentality.

But, thanks for the answer.
Browsers that don't have a conventional horizontal Menu bar (where it's been for 25 years) are poorly designed. Period. Stop 'fixing' something that isn't broke!
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

videobruce wrote:I went thru the Preferences and I don't see where I can get my reply above/before the original text of the message I'm responding (unlike TB mail).

Why it defaults to after since most other e-mail clients place the response at the top of the page I have every used (including businesses).
Did you select the account name in the Folder Pane, click "View setting for this account", select "Composition & Addressing"?
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

WaltS48 wrote:Did you select the account name in the Folder Pane, click "View setting for this account", select "Composition & Addressing"?
Ah! Yes, indeed! I forgot about this:
(when SeaMonkey Mail is active) Menu -> Edit -> Mail & Newsgroups Account Settings -> [accout_name] -> Composition & Addressing -> in field "Composition" choose "start my reply above the quote"

#-o
--
videobruce

Post by videobruce »

I looked thru all of that more than once and for some unknown reason I never saw that. ](*,)

Thanks. I remember TB had that option. It's too bad SM doesn't have the flexibility to place tab bar below the web page using TM Plus.
videobruce

Post by videobruce »

The reason I never saw that entry was I was accessing "Preferences" under Edit/Preferences/Mail & newsgroups which I didn't know at the time those are "Global" settings (since nothing in the title states "Global").

Both "Preferences" are label the same.
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

videobruce wrote:The reason I never saw that entry was I was accessing "Preferences" under Edit/Preferences/Mail & newsgroups which I didn't know at the time those are "Global" settings (since nothing in the title states "Global").
There is only one "Preferences" regardless what windows ("Browser" or "Mail & Newsgroups") user will open.

Reply methods you can change are in an e-mail account settings window but this is accessible from "Mail & Newsgroups" window only:

--
videobruce

Post by videobruce »

The confusion is using different terms; Settings & Preferences that mean similar things.
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

TPR75 wrote:
... but if you really want to change GOOD behavior to BAD then try this preference:

Code: Select all

mail.identity.default.reply_on_top
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Reply_above_quoted_message
In address bar type "about:config", search for above and change it to "1".

:roll:
TPR75,

Much thanks. I too like it this way.
-N- Si vis pacem, para bellum
FrameWork, SeaMonkey(64-bit),Windows 10 Pro (X64- 21H2), WinPatrol, Malwarebytes & Panda Dome