bookmark location when right-click

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
vampyren

bookmark location when right-click

Post by vampyren »

Hi,

I have had need for this simple feature and started testing Brave and found it there so i thought i add a request here so it can be added to my favorite browser.
Simply when i search for a bookmark i like to rightclick on it and find where its located or better yet select to go the location/folder of the bookmark.

Hope this is added soon.
LIMPET235

Re: bookmark location when right-click

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi,
I doubt very much that your request will ever come to fruition.
Since "they" changed the code that the old/er extensions used,
a lot of the old, very useful extensions were just not updated.

The best I can suggest is to try this extension that may suit you.
> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... ch-plus-2/
It's function/options are available via the Side Bar.

Moving this to Firefox Support...
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
vampyren

Post by vampyren »

Thanks for the suggestion but i'm confused by your answer.
What i request is basic functionality, not an extension. Why would "they" not be able to do this?
And doesn't the dev members visit the forums now and then? How else can people request useful features otherwise?

I can use the extension as the last resort but this is really a simple thing to do (i'm a developer myself :) ).

Thanks again for the tips. It will come handy.
baerd

Post by baerd »

You can use bugzilla.mozilla.org to request new features or enhancements. Here's one that is a close match: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=469441

Here are a couple others that might be of interest:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=469421
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=196509
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

What i request is basic functionality
sorry, is not - otherwise mozilla had it implemented.
the legacy extension is no longer usable, a sequel is not present.

"Bookmark search plus 2" hast issues since firefox 68 and lead to OOM.
and "bookmarks manager and viewer" is very slow.
vampyren

Post by vampyren »

baerd wrote:You can use bugzilla.mozilla.org to request new features or enhancements. Here's one that is a close match: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=469441

Here are a couple others that might be of interest:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=469421
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=196509
Thanks for the links. Reading the comments makes me cry. So many years and no one has added a "simple" Show parent in the context menu. There are others mentioning it in the threads like
"...adding a Context Menu item, "Show Parent". In the Library via a sortable column. While it would be nice if the Parent column could provide some means to toggle between column and list view (similar to MacOS's Finder dialogue window), just having the immediate parent folder would be sufficient."
Brummelchen wrote:
What i request is basic functionality
sorry, is not - otherwise mozilla had it implemented.
the legacy extension is no longer usable, a sequel is not present.

"Bookmark search plus 2" hast issues since firefox 68 and lead to OOM.
and "bookmarks manager and viewer" is very slow.
Sorry i dont believe this. No disrespect but FF knows where the bookmarks are already. Its a matter of representing it. Also it could even be only available in "Bookmark Manager". There are useless columns like "Last modified". Instead there could be folder location there.

Anyway considering how old the request goes i agree that this wont be fixed anytime soon or ever.
Lastly remember Netscape? Unless simple requests that bring big value for users are not addressed i dont think FF will have a bright future sadly. I love FF but i see it loose ground more and more.Anyway i stop here.

Thanks for the support. I do appreciate it and sorry for the negativity.
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

vampyren wrote: ... Simply when i search for a bookmark i like to rightclick on it and find where its located ...

... or better yet select to go the location/folder of the bookmark ...

Hope this is added soon.
Doubtful that either will ever be added as a default feature. IMO, the developers don't "think" like the 'average user' does with regards to knowing where within a user's bookmarks are located. That type of feature falls in to what I consider the "most requested list" of features; a few extensions did "add" such a feature to Firefox many years (as already stated), but those fell by the wayside with the release of Quantum (Fx 57) when certain features were no longer allowed in Firefox. I did use 2 of those extensions myself for many years; but they went defunct with Quantum.

And this support forum is not the place to ask for new features, you're "singing to the choir" here - long term Firefox user's helping other Firefox user's and sharing commiseration of the faults that "we" perceive with Firefox. And really no better at SUMO - the official Firefox / Mozilla support fora.

Within Firefox use Help > Submit Feedback ... - that is where you can "get the ear of" Mozilla support staff and make your case for new features. Using Bugzilla to request new or changed features is a waste of developer triage time, and the typical request gets blown off in short order most of the time. Been there, done that a time or two over the last 17 years that I have been using Firefox.
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
vampyren

Post by vampyren »

the-edmeister wrote:
vampyren wrote: ... Simply when i search for a bookmark i like to rightclick on it and find where its located ...

... or better yet select to go the location/folder of the bookmark ...

Hope this is added soon.
Doubtful that either will ever be added as a default feature. IMO, the developers don't "think" like the 'average user' does with regards to knowing where within a user's bookmarks are located. That type of feature falls in to what I consider the "most requested list" of features; a few extensions did "add" such a feature to Firefox many years (as already stated), but those fell by the wayside with the release of Quantum (Fx 57) when certain features were no longer allowed in Firefox. I did use 2 of those extensions myself for many years; but they went defunct with Quantum.

And this support forum is not the place to ask for new features, you're "singing to the choir" here - long term Firefox user's helping other Firefox user's and sharing commiseration of the faults that "we" perceive with Firefox. And really no better at SUMO - the official Firefox / Mozilla support fora.

Within Firefox use Help > Submit Feedback ... - that is where you can "get the ear of" Mozilla support staff and make your case for new features. Using Bugzilla to request new or changed features is a waste of developer triage time, and the typical request gets blown off in short order most of the time. Been there, done that a time or two over the last 17 years that I have been using Firefox.
Thanks for the information. I will anyway send a feedback through Help > Submit Feedback .... Been also using FF as long as i remember to be honest (15+ years atleast). Sadly thanks to the excessive CPU usage, disconnect from dev team, lacking basic functionality (other things i have in mind) i'm slowly shifting to Brave (sadly). I'm still using FF on the side but i do see that others are slowly passing FF.
For me sadly extension is not the answer to everything. Usually extensions require to many permissions or permission they need due to bug/missing API etc etc. They can break, they need continuous update. Unless the core team brings in valuable things into the base code the product will get worse and outdated. Even if the dev team themselves are not good at seeing these things i had hoped they had people for this sort of things.
Look at Brave, they build adblock into the browser and suddenly everyone are talking about it like its a NEW thing. Actually i did send in a feedback to FF about it long ago now that i think of it. This is a no brainier to add. People are lazy and even if there are extensions they dont use it. Same with mouse gesture, download bar showing progress and the list goes on.