Lightweight themes (personas) gone from thunderbird.net

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
gracious1

Lightweight themes (personas) gone from thunderbird.net

Post by gracious1 »

For some reason, all the lightweight themes (personas) have been purged from addons.thunderbird.net

Today I went here:
https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-us/seamonkey/themes/

And all the personas/skins/themes are gone!

The complete themes are still there.

Is this a mistake, or were they deliberately purged?

And... is there any other source for these?
WaltS48

Re: Lightweight themes (personas) gone from thunderbird.net

Post by WaltS48 »

Not a mistake.

They will be converted to WebExtension themes.

See Thunderbird 68 beta notes

Those are the new features, fixes, changes and known issues going into the next Thunderbird release.
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
Snake4

Post by Snake4 »

@frg ,

do you know anything about this? where are people supposed to get themes for SM an or Extensions nowadays?
Nightly Blog
Release Calendar
Posted With Chrome Or Firefox
frg

Post by frg »

> do you know anything about this?

No. Read about it but I thought the old themes would just stay there. Wonder how TB pre 68 users can get them after conversion?
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

Mouse4 wrote:@frg ,

do you know anything about this? where are people supposed to get themes for SM an or Extensions nowadays?
Users still get extensions from SeaMonkey as long as the extension developers support SeaMonkey.

Don't know about themes.

Isn't there an old extensions archive somewhere?
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

frg wrote: Wonder how TB pre 68 users can get them after conversion?
By going here, I would imagine - https://addons.thunderbird.net/EN-us/th ... /abstract/

Does help to go to a T/Bird link, instead of a SeaMonkey one, when looking for T/Bird stuff. Also explains why T/Bird users haven't been complaining.
WaltS48 wrote:They will be converted to WebExtension themes.
They already have been.

They are now using a manifest.json instead of an install.rdf....which is not a problem for T/Bird 60 users, but it is for Seamonkey users. However, what becomes of 'personas' is not my problem.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
LuvKomputrs

Post by LuvKomputrs »

Did notice this link in Firefox.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/themes/
I am using an older persona which I made when Firefox still had the Personas feature for both my SeaMonkey browser and Firefox browser.
It hasn't disappeared from the Add-ons which I have in use for SeaMonkey i.e. appearance in Add-ons manager.
It's just disappeared from the link to get the lightweight themes for the SeaMonkey browser. Weird. :? I don't use Thunderbird.
Am wondering if SeaMonkey may have their own version of Personas(lightweight themes) for the SeaMonkey browser? :-k
Am thinking that would be a very nice idea. :D
Also, there is a way of getting some extensions to work for SeaMonkey even though it sometimes says you can't for your current version of SeaMonkey. I have done that for Sea Fox 0.4.6 by Patrick Dempsey and am still using it for SeaMonkey even though it says I cannot. :wink:
And it is possible there could be an archive file for those Personas that were created before the change to WebExtensions.
For instance at the Wayback Machine
https://archive.org/web/
frg

Post by frg »

> Does help to go to a T/Bird link, instead of a SeaMonkey one, when looking for T/Bird stuff. Also explains why T/Bird users haven't been complaining.

Sad that they were taken down but don't have time to see something done about it. With TB 68 most of the old code add-ons there will probably no longer working too. Hope they are not taken down too.

FRG
LuvKomputrs

Post by LuvKomputrs »

Came across this from the site Legacy Collector:

http://www.legacycollector.org/firefox- ... index.html
A whole list of legacy Firefox Add-ons/Extensions which perhaps could be maintained/modified for use for SeaMonkey.

http://www.legacycollector.org/firefox- ... index.html
This is for Personas Plus which perhaps could be maintained/modified for use for SeaMonkey.

And of course with permission from those who created those.
gracious1

Post by gracious1 »

The old extension archives out there do not include personas (lightweight themes), only extensions. I know of nobody who bothered to archive the personas. :-(

Having Personas Plus or Persona Switcher is pointless if you don't have personas.
gracious1

Post by gracious1 »

Frank Lion wrote: Does help to go to a T/Bird link, instead of a SeaMonkey one, when looking for T/Bird stuff. Also explains why T/Bird users haven't been complaining.
The question is about personas for use with SeaMonkey, however. It was great that Thunderbird was making this available for SM users all this time, but it would have been nice if there had been a warning on the page that SM users would have used, specifically https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/se ... ic-themes/ since non-Thunderbird users would not necessarily have known that changes were coming and that these personas would no longer be available.

I have several profiles with the personas installed, but I do not have the technical know-how to extract them from my cache to make them installable in other profiles.

If you download the Thunderbird versions (the XPI archives), is it possible to write an install.rdf or some other appropriate file that would replace the JSON file to make these work? Does anyone have the know-how to do this?
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

gracious1 wrote:
Frank Lion wrote: Does help to go to a T/Bird link, instead of a SeaMonkey one, when looking for T/Bird stuff. Also explains why T/Bird users haven't been complaining.
The question is about personas for use with SeaMonkey, however.
Not the question I was directly replying to it wasn't -
frg wrote: Wonder how TB pre 68 users can get them after conversion?
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
LuvKomputrs

Post by LuvKomputrs »

gracious1 wrote:The old extension archives out there do not include personas (lightweight themes), only extensions. I know of nobody who bothered to archive the personas. :-(

Having Personas Plus or Persona Switcher is pointless if you don't have personas.
Respectfully disagree.
The point of having Personas Plus is to create your own Personas with making them by creating the header with and image(a certain width) and the footer(a certain width) and the colour to click on the clickable links like File, Edit, View, History, Bookmarks, Tools, Help and adding it in Personas Plus (your creation has a certain file name and you save your creation on your computer). And again perhaps SeaMonkey can have a similar program and host those Personas made by SeaMonkey users for the SeaMonkey browser on a site for easy access to dress up their browser if they wish to do so. IMHO it's doable.
As for archiving those Personas before the change I'm wondering if there might be someone who actually did that. Surely there are copies of those with the.xpi files out there somewhere. I'm still looking. :-k
LuvKomputrs

Post by LuvKomputrs »

gracious1 wrote: I have several profiles with the personas installed, but I do not have the technical know-how to extract them from my cache to make them installable in other profiles.
Try looking for the file that ends with .xpi It's in the folder with the name extensions.
Copy that file and see if you can install that.
Note: the file should still have the original Persona name it should not be modern@themes.mozilla.org.xpi mine is cutekittensnoozing in part of the name.
Took a look at the Persona (lightweight theme) that I had created and found out this information:
Older versions
Version 1.0
Released Jan 26, 2019 - 33.62 KB
Works with firefox 53.0 and later, android 65.0 and later
Source code released under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0

Also, I have found a folder in one of my backed up profiles named lwtheme. It contains the lightweighttheme-footer 800x600 and lightweightheme-header 1360x768
Try copying that entire folder and pasting it into whichever profile you wish. Try it with a new profile to make sure it works.
Hopes this information helps you. :)
LuvKomputrs

Post by LuvKomputrs »

Just figured it out! :D
Here are the steps.
1. Go to %appdata% navigate to SeaMonkey and then to your profile folder and place your copied lwtheme folder by pasting into *.default (a different one from your other * default profile where you copied if from) (it begins with a numeric sequence)(this is done for a brand new profile that you are creating)
An example:
%appdata%\Mozilla\SeaMonkey\Profiles\
lwtheme folder is located in a folder that has a name in it like this
9dzurqvb.default
*Note: only add these files to a brand new profile. Existing profiles already have them if you have added a lightweighttheme*
2. Make sure these two files are in that profile folder this is separate from the lwtheme folder
lightweightheme-footer 4KB
lightweighttheme-header 32KB

These files are located in the *default folder.
*Note: only add these files to a brand new profile. Existing profiles already have them if you have added a lightweighttheme*
3. Next go to about:config
*Note: You copy these from another profile that you have previously created and are using with and added lightweighttheme.*
*Note: These are added in about:config in a brand new profile. Profiles that you have already created with and added lightweighttheme are in about:config and don't need to be added*
Right click and add a new boolean lightweightThemes.persisted.footerUrl set that to true click on OK
Right click and add a new boolean lightweightThemes.persisted.headerUrl set that to true click on OK
Right click and add a new string lightweightThemes.selectedThemeID set the value to 620366 Click on Ok.
Right click and add a new string lightweightThemes.usedThemes enter this for the value you need to copy this very carefully using about:config from another profile that you use for SeaMonkey It should look like this and it's a long one! Here is the one I am using with no issues in different profiles.
[{"id":"620366","name":"cutekittensnoozing","headerURL":"https://addons.cdn.mozilla.net/user-med ... 9194055081}]
Paste this in where you would normally type or add a numerical number in the string and then click on OK.
Close about:config and Voila! your browser should be wearing your lightweight theme. ;)
I've had no conflicts switching back and forth between profiles using this method. :D
*Note: This method only works for themes that are installed in SeaMonkey prior to the change to WebExtensions for Firefox Personas(lightweight themes)*
Last edited by LuvKomputrs on August 7th, 2019, 5:35 pm, edited 16 times in total.