Right click has gone mad

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
mozurkewich

Right click has gone mad

Post by mozurkewich »

When I right click on a message to move it, it often opens the message in a new tab. It is starting to drive me nuts. It seems like there is a "far right click" and a "slightly right click" on my track pad. Is there a way to fix that and make Tbird go back to working like everything else?
DanRaisch

Re: Right click has gone mad

Post by DanRaisch »

The command at the top of the right click context menu in Thunderbird's message list display is "Open message in New Tab". It sounds as though your issue is not with Thunedrbird but with the track pad issuing a second click after right clicking That is, before you can point to the "Move to" menu choice, it's triggering the first menu item. Try playing with the settings for the track pad, perhaps decreasing the sensitivity.
mozurkewich

Post by mozurkewich »

DanRaisch wrote:It sounds as though your issue is not with Thunedrbird but with the track pad issuing a second click after right clicking That is, before you can point to the "Move to" menu choice, it's triggering the first menu item.
That makes sense except it never happens except in Thunderbird. And it seems to be inconsistent within Tbird. I will try to pay closer attention while keeping that in mind. I don't see too much point in messing with settings until I can get a degree of reproducibility.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Some users have had similar intermittent problems due to their mouse being too sensitive. That was fixed using the control panel. Is there a similar setting for your trackpad driver?
mozurkewich

Post by mozurkewich »

tanstaafl wrote:Some users have had similar intermittent problems due to their mouse being too sensitive. That was fixed using the control panel. Is there a similar setting for your trackpad driver?
Yes, there is a setting. It has three possible values. Setting it to more sensitive (sic) seems like it might work. But, giving the inconsistency of the problem what does that tell me?

But if it was the trackpad, why is there a problem in just one program?
mozurkewich

Post by mozurkewich »

I finally figured out just what is going on (I think) and how to work around it. I am a bit embarrassed it has taken this long, but the problem seems to be erratic.

The problem seems to be that when I right click, Tbird interprets that as a click. Then when I *release* the right click, T bird interprets that as another click. If the cursor is over an item on the menu, then that is executed. The solution seems to be to right click, hold the cursor down, move the cursor off the menu, then release the click. Then I can select the menu item I want. Pain in the neck.

The problem is specific to Tbird. It does not happen in any other of my applications.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

The problem is specific to Tbird. It does not happen in any other of my applications.
And doesn't seem to be happening to any other users. We've seen no recent reports of what you describe that have not been linked to a problem with mouse settings or a particular mouse.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Do you have the same problem with Firefox? Both Thunderbird and Firefox rely upon the Mozilla toolkit, so some types of problems occur with both applications.

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3049154 isn't about your problem, but might be useful. You might also experiment with a trial version of "BetterTouchTool" at https://folivora.ai/
mozurkewich

Post by mozurkewich »

tanstaafl wrote:Do you have the same problem with Firefox? Both Thunderbird and Firefox rely upon the Mozilla toolkit, so some types of problems occur with both applications.

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3049154 isn't about your problem, but might be useful. You might also experiment with a trial version of "BetterTouchTool" at https://folivora.ai/
Never a problem in FireFox. As in, the next time it happens will be the first time. Until a couple of months ago, it was not a problem in Tbird.

Might this have something to do with "tap to click"? I have that disabled. Actually, I have all the clever track pad stuff disabled.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Do you have the track pad itself disabled?
mozurkewich

Post by mozurkewich »

DanRaisch wrote:Do you have the track pad itself disabled?
No, of course not. In that case it would do nothing, wouldn't it? And I don't think that is an option, at least not one I would know how o do. I just have the simplest set of choices for what I can do with it.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

I assumed that you were using a mouse, since you had not mentioned a track pad prior to your most recent reply to tanstaafl. If that were the case, shutting off the track pad would not be an issue at all.
mozurkewich

Post by mozurkewich »

DanRaisch wrote:I assumed that you were using a mouse, since you had not mentioned a track pad prior to your most recent reply to tanstaafl. If that were the case, shutting off the track pad would not be an issue at all.
OK. Track pad appears in almost all the old messages, but I should have restated that when I restarted the thread today.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Actually, I apologize. I see that you have been referring to a track pad in your posts. I searched for that term but did not notice that the results were not displayed starting above your post of 3:45 but only at that point. Sorry.

This does suggest a diagnostic option, however, If you have access to a mouse compatible with that system, you could temporarily install and test right clicking with the mouse to see if the results differ from those of the installed track pad.