Continuous crashes

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Brummelchen

Re: Continuos crashes

Post by Brummelchen »

SuMO is your steady friend, please read.

Viewing crash reports: To view your crash reports from within Firefox:
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/mo ... sh-reports
petergo

Post by petergo »

thank you Brummelchen

I have not been receiving that dialog box, sorry FF crashed etc

What's been happening to me is that FF simply "not responding" appears in the menu bar at the top of the page
The only thing available to me, is to start the task manager, and exit the program.
I wait a minute or so, then start FF again

Forgive me, old age makes for my poor memory, I think what happens when I restart, a window opens asking if I would like to restore previous session, and I select yes

Tjhank you so much for persisting with me, it's appreciated
cheers
peter
TheVisitor

Post by TheVisitor »

petergo wrote:about:crashes

I went back to this link, and see they all are dated Feb 2019 there abouts

Kindly let me know where do I select that a current crash report be made?

I looked under "Help", and checked for health report, and it shows everything with green dots

so happy to provide you with a current and valid crash report, just how do I get it please?

thanks, cheers
Most recent ones should be at the top of the list. If your last crash was in Feb then your not crashing that much, or.... you are restarting the browser as a preventive/proactive approach. If you would do not do any restarts and just go till it crashes then post that link as I instructed above:

Right-click->Copy Link Location...
Paste that link here
Thanks again
petergo

Post by petergo »

hi again

I have eliminated the problem being due to malwarebytes

It froze again, the 'not responding" thing
I restarted via Task Manager

A window opened called Session Manager, telling me FF crashed, and I could choose which session to recover.
I could not see any choice about starting a report

Before this event FF was using about 20% of CPU and about 1,000 Mb memory ( I have 8Gb memory , new )

The strange thing is this happens daily around 4pm my time, and after I have left the desktop in hibernate for about an hour
Could this be a clue?

thanks, regards
peter
James

Post by James »

Brummelchen wrote:read more carefully!
Yet you read a report from Aug 24, 2018 and thought that peter was still using a old version of Java plugin and 52.3.0esr now instead of the 52.9.0esr mentioned in first post. :wink:
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

that what my first sentence in that answer is about:
no current crash-rep reported, that one i comment is from 2018-08-24 (!)
and i (also me) explained why - because the other crash report is not valid or never was submitted.
not my fault - neither nor. should submit a new crash and put the link here.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi Peter,
Just an idea or two here...
You mentioned that you set the PC to Hibernate.
This is not really recommended, as it has caused Window's problems.
( I haven't got a link to any but I remember seeing it reported elsewhere.)
You may like to change your Hibernate pref to Sleep & try it that way for a while.
Not saying it's the cause but it can't hurt to try.

&...
You said...
"I have not have avast for years & my java is up to date."

Q?
Did you use AVAST's Un-install tool?
Because Window's normal program removal does not remove all the bits
that are left behind by AVAST.
> https://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility

&, to see all that is noted in the Crash Reports,
open it/them & go to the "Telemetry Environment" & "Extensions" tabs &
take a look at what is reported.

There are a couple of AVAST entries...
"Avast Online Security" & "Avast Passwords".
These are the left-overs that need to be removed using their tool.

& remove "Malwarebytes Browser Extension".

It may just be better to create a new Profile but don't add anything to it for a while other than your bookmarks.
> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Creating_a_ne ... on_Windows
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
kerft

Post by kerft »

As you seek further support, it may help to say that the program hangs or is "not responding" instead of crashes. A crash is only when the Firefox process closes itself, or when it or the OS show a you crashed message before you close the program (not after it restarts). As mentioned, sometimes but not always if you wait long enough, a hang may turn into a crash and that could provide a crash report that would help you.
If the problem is severe enough that you get hangs once a day or it sounds like even more, I would take significant steps to try to fix it instead of using a browser that broken. I would recommend making a new profile and trying it out. Do not delete the old, and make backups of your old data. http://kb.mozillazine.org/Creating_a_ne ... on_Windows
If the new profile works, data can be copied to it.

Note that since you are on an old version, your own computer may be the only place where some legacy extensions exist. If you do not backup your profile and lose it, or if you use the "refresh firefox" feature or the "welcome back do you want to clean up" feature you may lose them forever. Some can be downloaded from legacycollector.org .

If any of your hard disks are almost full, that can make programs unstable, or if you have changed the virtual memory settings in Windows. Also, as above any use of antivirus software other than defender can cause problems. The next link is a page of suggestions but do not attempt them without giving it some thought. http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_hangs

If you don't have a good reason to need old extensions, you may have a better experience using current Firefox. It is possible to have both versions installed, but that takes some expertise. It is also possible to use Firefox portable to try out a new version. If you (for the portable version) do not set it to allow simultaneous, and do not set it as default browser, and are careful to always start it with the firefoxportable.exe launcher and never by running the firefox.exe contained inside a subfolder it may let you try out the new version. Do not pin it to the taskbar. A recent feature that is meant to automatically manage multiple profiles in Firefox is making using multiple versions buggy for many users, so if you have problems it is not necessarily because you are doing something wrong.
petergo

Post by petergo »

Mr.L and Kerft

thank you guys so very much for your time and effort to try to resolve my problem

It's a little overwhelming, but I intend to work my way through your advice and suggestions over the weekend
thanks again
peter
petergo

Post by petergo »

hi again

I copied the folder Mozilla firefox to a new temp folder to keep as my backup copy.

I created a new profile using the profile manager, and called it "My New Profile"

then I ran into nightmares when I opened it. Firstly it upgraded my version, next, when I copied the old profile info into it, I got an error message ( sorry I did not write it down )
I tried to start pprofile manager again from the run command, and was told there is a parameter missing.

Kerft

I do have extensions that I can't live without, so I do not want to upgrade, sorry.

thanks again, hve a grand weekend
peter

sorry for being a coward, I uninstalled FF and reinstalled the older version, and copied the profile into it, and at least I am in business again, so far.

Mr. L

I used the avast uninstall utility
I REMOVED the vast and malwalwarebytes extensions that were previously just disenabled

I checked the last crash report, and could not find any tabs you mentioned

I have since yesterday used 'hibernate' several times, no problems when I returnn to use

I will use 'sleep; funbction next time if there is a problem again
petergo

Post by petergo »

hi, an update............

well I have been problem free until just now when I returned back to my computer and woke it up from hibernate.
It has been working perfectly for a few days now, even using hibernate frequently
The task manger says about 30% CPU and about 1200MB Memory

It seems to be a time of day thing. Because it happens at this time of day, it must be more than a coincidence
Tomorrow when I go out at this time I will use the 'sleep' function instead of the 'hibernate', and report back then

thanks for your patience
best wishes
peter
kerft

Post by kerft »

It is true that a new profile turns on auto-update, I apologize. If you decide to make a new profile again do this - disconnect from the internet, then make the new profile, then run it and turn off updates, then close the browser. Then connect to internet and the new profile will not auto-update.
If you get new crash reports someone may be able to help you with Firefox 52. When the browser is not responding, if possible leave it alone for 15 minutes or as long as is practical and see if it crashes.
petergo

Post by petergo »

update + not good news

hi again,

1.. during the day I have three browser windows open and about 10 tabs in each, and there are no issues.
2.. I restart every 3-4 hours so I think that FF should be 'fresh'

3.. I departed again about 3pm as I do daily, my 4-legged furry friends take their old man for his walk, and I return about an hour or so later
4.. I put the computer to sleep this time rather than what I usually do, 'hibernate'

when I woke the computer FF "not responding"

5.. I wiated 15 minutes to see if it would respond or maybe crash so I could have a report to send to you
6.. I ended FF after 15 minutes using task manager, and recovered and restored my previous sessions

so, I am open to further suggestions please

Question: If I upgrade FF to the latest version which I have avoided because I need and want to keep certain extensions, can I go back to the FF ESR version I am using now if I do not like the latest FF version?
I do have the FF ver 52.9.0 ESR 64 bit in a saved folder, and I would copy my profile as a backup

thank you again, you folks are wonderful
cheers
peter
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi Peter,
It may just be that at that specific time, (4 PM?), that there's a "Scheduled Task" that runs.
Maybe check in your Task Scheduler for anything that's programmed to run?

If you want to see what the latest version, errr, looks & performs like,
why not try the Portable version?
> https://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable
Scroll down to the Support section for assistance...
"For help with this app, please see the following:

Downloading a Portable App
Installing a Portable App
Using a Portable App
Upgrading a Portable App
Copying local settings, Second profiles, Private Window, Helper apps, ESR schedule, and more...

Let us know how it goes.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
petergo

Post by petergo »

thanks Mr.L

unfamiliar with task scheduler, so looked it up, and crikey m8!, I have 90 active tasks enabled, and that have not expired.
None of them have a time that is anywhere close to the time I seem to have the problem with FF

I will research later, about how to get rid of these tasks, at least some of them.

I will check out the portable version on the weekend <smiles>

all the best
peter