Can't locate my profile

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
cgbjr67

Can't locate my profile

Post by cgbjr67 »

I installed TB on a new tablet, ran profilemanager to set up a folder for my profile on the D drive, copied the profile folder from my old computer, and the new install doesn't see it. No old messages, no accounts. I thought I did everything right, but obviously not. Can anyone point out any possible mistakes?

Thanx in advance - CGB
tanstaafl

Re: Can't locate my profile

Post by tanstaafl »

The profiles.ini file is used to tell Thunderbird where the profile is. Thunderbird expects that file to be in a specific location on the boot drive, based on what operating system you use. Is drive D: your boot drive?

I'd expect you to use the profile manager to create a profile (which basically just registers a profile location, Thunderbird creates the profile's files if they don't already exist at that location when you run it), not a folder. I'm not sure what you did if you "ran profilemanager to set up a folder for my profile on the D drive".

See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Moving_your_p ... hunderbird
cgbjr67

Post by cgbjr67 »

My error saying it was the D drive on the tablet. My current profile sits on the D drive on my desktop and I have no problems. I tried to duplicate this setup on the tablet, using the E drive because there is no native D drive (a USB drive becomes a D drive when inserted), where the E drive is also not the boot drive. The profiles.ini file has the proper address that was created when I used profilemanager to "create" a profile on the E drive. I copied the desktop profile folder into the new "created" location on the E drive.
cgbjr67

Post by cgbjr67 »

Dear Free Lunch - your link showed me how to fill in the path to the profile in my shortcut. I had not seen that before. It worked. Thanks much!