Duplications

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
shakushinnen

Duplications

Post by shakushinnen »

Hi,
Thunderbird is duplicating the messages I send and receive. I don't know if it's sending two of the same, or simply saving two; but I am receiving duplicates from other people.
Any thoughts?
Thanks,
...... john
tanstaafl

Re: Duplications

Post by tanstaafl »

Duplicate copies of your copy of a message that you sent could occur if you use the Gmail SMTP server and also enable saving a copy in the Copies & Folders settings.

Do the duplicates (of new mail in your inbox) you receive have the same Message-ID header (use view -> message source or Control->U)?

Does this problem only occur for one account?

Does this occur with all new mail?

Did this start after a recent upgrade, occur for several months or more, or just occur out of the blue?
shakushinnen

Post by shakushinnen »

Hi tanstaafl,
I removed the check mark from 'place a copy in sent folder'; and sent myself a message. That seems to have done the trick. I still get a copy in the sent folder, but only one, not two. I'm using Hotmail, so maybe that's it?
..... john
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I've only read about that being a feature of a Gmail SMTP server. I have a Outlook IMAP account, have the checkmark checked to save a copy, and don't get duplicates. However, perhaps its due to some setting you enabled in hotmail webmail. In my Fastmail IMAP account I unchecked the checkmark to save a copy and rely upon a setting I enabled in Fastmail webmail to have the SMTP server automatically save a copy of the sent message. That's more reliable and quicker since it saves uploading a copy to the remote folder. I haven't browsed the Outmail webmail settings for years, perhaps it added a similar option.
BuddhaNature

Post by BuddhaNature »

I had the same problem with Hotmail when I transferred to Thunderbird years ago. The same solution fixed it. After I discovered the solution I never checked on the Hotmail website if there was any setting there that would cause this -- if it ain't broke (any more) don't fix it.
shakushinnen

Post by shakushinnen »

Thanks again tanstaafl/BuddhaNature,
It seems to be working fine now.
.... john