History max size?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Xirix

History max size?

Post by Xirix »

I've noticed today some pages in my history have dissapeared, can I stop Firefox from deleting history completely, or is there just a max amount of pages or something I can set?

Anything in about:config I can do to stop history being deleted / up the max amount it'll store? I'm using the latest version.
dfoulkes

Re: History max size?

Post by dfoulkes »

I don't use the latest version but in my experience Firefox keeps all history but that is based on how you have the History-Option set up... and/or perhaps you have an extension messing with stuff? ...

You might want to post a screen-shot of your Options stuff that relates to all history settings and its related cleaning out a Firefox closing... also, maybe a list of your extensions?

Others who use the latest version may have better suggestions for you.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
kerft

Post by kerft »

I don't know for sure, but your user agent has WOW64 which means you are using 32-bit Firefox on a 64-bit operating system. It could be that 32-bit Firefox is quicker to trash stuff since the amount of memory it can access is so much smaller.
Plugin support except for Flash was already terminated long ago so other than higher memory usage 64-bit Firefox doesn't really have any disadvantages. 32-bit Firefox tends to be more likely to crash with modern websites because of running out of memory (it can't use much virtual memory either the way 64-bit can).

Also data loss is always possible, if you backup your Firefox profiles (automatically and frequently is best) http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &start=525, you could restore places.sqlite and get back what is lost.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

kerft wrote: It could be that 32-bit Firefox is quicker to trash stuff since the amount of memory it can access is so much smaller.
Yeah... kind of hard to figure this out... since history is stored in a data file one would think that if that file got large for Firefox the displaying of that data would be just to show it and move on to more history data... not remove it... know what I mean? ... sounds like some other random thing going on... that is, unless the new FF has an issue.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
Xirix

Post by Xirix »

Oh... how weird, I did not realise I was using 32 bit firefox (Using portable, if that's relevant). If I install the 64 bit version can I just move all the other files over and they'll work with it?

As for the other things, I only have a pop-up blocker and adblock installed. And my history setting is just "Remember browsing and download history" ticked. That should be remembering websites right? The other one is just search/form history.
kerft

Post by kerft »

For switching to 64-bit, normally *not* with portable, you can just uninstall and install and it will find the profile and be ready. With portable firefox, what I recall is that portable always includes both 32-bit and 64-bit, and runs the one it should normally. There is a setting in firefoxportable.ini that can override that and make it run 32-bit only. Check the .ini for that setting. With portable, changing that and restarting the browser is all you have to do.
ghot

Post by ghot »

Xirix wrote:I've noticed today some pages in my history have dissapeared, can I stop Firefox from deleting history completely, or is there just a max amount of pages or something I can set?

Anything in about:config I can do to stop history being deleted / up the max amount it'll store? I'm using the latest version.

In about:config do a search for "history" without the quotes. It returns about 15 entries in FF 68.0.1 64 bit. Some of them look promising.
We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have been doing so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.
morat

Post by morat »

I would play with the following preferences.

* places.history.expiration.max_pages (hidden)
* places.history.expiration.transient_current_max_pages

Places Expiration - Preferences
http://developer.mozilla.org/docs/Mozil ... references

More info
http://superuser.com/questions/1269516

Reference
http://dxr.mozilla.org/mozilla-release/ ... %3APlaces*
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Downloads and long URLs expire in 60 days.
Some visits can be expired more often than others, cause they are less
useful to the user and can pollute awesomebar results:
1. urls over 255 chars
2. redirect sources and downloads (visit_type=7)
aborix

Post by aborix »

Maybe the extension Expire history by days is useful for you.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Note that places.history.expiration.transient_current_max_pages is a read-only pref that keeps the current value of the maximum history visits, so you can't modify this pref.
You can create a new Integer pref named places.history.expiration.max_pages if you want to modify the automatically calculates number of pages as stored in places.history.expiration.transient_current_max_pages.

See also:
https://developer.mozilla.org/Places_Ex ... references