POP3 (Hotmail) and security alerts

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
rigsby999

POP3 (Hotmail) and security alerts

Post by rigsby999 »

Firstly, apologies if this is answered elsewhere. If so please redirect me.

There is another post similar to my issue but not exactly the same, so I'm posting here.

I used 'mozbackup' to backup everything in T'Bird from my Windows 7 (32bit) PC. I installed T'Bird on Windows 10 (64bit same PC) and ran 'mozbackup' doing a restore (obviously).

I have a 'hotmail' account and a popup 'security exception' window continually appears asking me to confirm - 'pop3.live.com' being the culprit. (The window also appeared once for each of the other accounts I have, namely yahoo & gmail, but these don't keep recurring).

I deleted the account and tried to re-add but it kept telling me the password was wrong (which it wasn't). Another thing I noticed when I was trying to re-add the account was that the server names it automatically provided were different from the origin. I can't remember exactly, but it contained 'outlook.com' as opposed to 'live.com'.

Any help would be appreciated.
tanstaafl

Re: POP3 (Hotmail) and security alerts

Post by tanstaafl »

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Hotmail

pop3.live.com is a legacy address that still works. The new server address is pop-mail.outlook.com (what Microsoft now documents). They made that change a long time ago.

Try deleting the saved password, exiting, (since the deleted password is still in memory) and restarting . Another possibility is that you might need to delete the pkcs11.txt file (a new one will be created when you restart Thunderbird). It's a security module database that sometimes causes problems when moving to a new PC.

If none of this helps, what is the error message (for example: "Security Error: Domain Name Mismatch")? See http://kb.mozillazine.org/SSL_Security_Error
rigsby999

Re: POP3 (Hotmail) and security alerts

Post by rigsby999 »

Deleting the password made no difference and the file 'pkcs11.txt' didn't exist, but when I read your link and spotted 'Avast' I pursued that avenue.

Upon following the steps re. Avast, it appears that was indeed the culprit. And finally the file 'pkcs11.txt' did eventually appear in the profile folder.

Many thanks for your help.