Strike 3 For Firefox -- Finally Moving To Chrome

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
LameBrains

Strike 3 For Firefox -- Finally Moving To Chrome

Post by LameBrains »

I've been an FF user for many years, but I think I am finally ready to move on. It tried! But recently I find myself using Chrome more and more for things that FF doesn't do but Chrome does. The most recent example is getting messages about "Sorry Firefox doesn't support this, use Chrome instead" when searching for an extension... can't recall what type it was now but FF doesn't support it, so it doesn't have any extensions that do what it does. This was essentially strike 3 for me.

Strikes one and two were that FF doesn't properly download videos on links on certain sites even with the sites own download tool, whereas Chrome does, and FF ruined some of my most important add-ons when it made the change to "Quantum." Now, all the down-loader add-ons for example require you to have a separate program in order to download certain kinds of videos (like steaming content) because FF no longer supports what the add-on developers need to make it happen without a separate program running. RIDICULOUS!

And just generally, Chrome has been my goto browser every time something on a Web page doesn't work right. It always seems to work fine in Chrome. So at this point, I don't see any reason to use FF. Chrome seems to do everything I need and things seem to just work. Not only that but Chrome seems to use less memory when running when I do an apples to apples comparison. Seems like a no brainer at this point.

What exactly are the advantages for me with Quantum? Can't see any. I saw no improvement at all in speed or quality. The only thing I've seen is that some things that I could do before I can't do now. To me it was a move backwards.

FF served me well for many years. If Quantum had not come along I'd probably still be staying with it. But I think I have now found a way to do everything I need in Chrome and with some sadness think I will have to move on. There are too many annoying disadvantages to using FF and I can't find a reason to justify it. This is it, I am transitioning to Chrome as my primary browser.
Frank Lion

Re: Strike 3 For Firefox -- Finally Moving To Chrome

Post by Frank Lion »

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

I must be going to the wrong web sites. Every site I open works just fine in the release, beta and nightly versions on my Windows and Linux systems.
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

LameBrains wrote:I am transitioning to Chrome as my primary browser.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYoV0Uh9JPQ

@The OP was another of these Fx52/56 antique restoration project folks.. :roll:
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

Frank Lion wrote:[img.../img]
:mrgreen: +1

finally some1 else we dont need to serve/feed any longer.
LameBrains

Post by LameBrains »

The above arrogant, defensive and unconstructive attitudes are another great reason to leave FF.
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

So Lame Brains, which Firefox are you really using?
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

LameBrains wrote:The above arrogant, defensive and unconstructive attitudes are another great reason to leave FF.
Yep, because 2 comments from people using Safari and 1 from a SeaMonkey user are always great reasons for someone to 'leave' Firefox. Duh.

Seriously, just go. It is not a religion, nobody cares.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
therube

Post by therube »

things that FF doesn't do but Chrome does
Such as?
"Sorry Firefox doesn't support this, use Chrome instead" when searching for an extension...
Where are you searching, on AMO or elsewhere?
FF doesn't properly download videos on links on certain sites even with the sites own download tool
URL?
What do you end up with when using FF?
FF ruined some of my most important add-ons when it made the change to "Quantum."
True.
But the same holds true with Chrome.
FF no longer supports what the add-on developers need to make it happen
True.
But the same holds true with Chrome.
every time something on a Web page doesn't work right. It always seems to work fine in Chrome.
URLs that don't work in FF but do in Chrome?
Chrome seems to use less memory when running when I do an apples to apples comparison.
I think that to be difficult to say, to compare, but overall, I'm thinking they would be close with not enough to consider one "better" in that respect.
What exactly are the advantages for me with Quantum?
Quantum has Ctrl+Shift+Q (to Quit, saving your session) - which Chrome does not.
I saw no improvement at all in speed or quality.
I'md guessing that speed & quality (lack of it actually) are close between FF & Chrome.
things that I could do before I can't do now.
Such as?
And how is Chrome going to do it if FF cannot?
I have now found a way to do everything I need in Chrome
Again, just what is it that Chrome is doing for you that FF cannot?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

The above arrogant, defensive and unconstructive attitudes are another great reason to leave FF.
please leave, in anger or any thing - but leave. you have left firefox, there is nothing more to say or spend time on you.
Shut up, we are not your personal rant departement.
James

Post by James »

@LameBrains, whom are targeting this rant of yours to?

Just a note, this is a independent forum that is not a part of nor run by Mozilla http://www.mozillazine.org/about/ as Mozilla has their own community support forum at support.mozilla.org
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
4td8s

Post by 4td8s »

maybe this thread should be locked up since the OP has already left the building :D
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Locking due to lack of participation by the OP.