G Suite Doing Strange things to TB

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
ep2012
Location: If you aren't fighting in this war, YOU are part of the problem!

G Suite Doing Strange things to TB

Post by ep2012 »

Hi all,

So when I open a search window, & I'm searching for anything, e-mail in the body, etc., the dates are out of order. Yes I can click on the date column, but I shouldn't have to & I don't have this problem with any other inboxe's search window.

Also, when I search on gmail's folder called "All Mail," I get completely different search results than when I search the inbox for my domain's addy, & I also see a totally different amount of e-mails both in the search results window & next to the inbox & all mail folders.

What's up with that?

Thanks
Ignoring the Truth about what is going on will NOT make it go away, it will only help those who are destroying US!
DanRaisch

Re: G Suite Doing Strange things to TB

Post by DanRaisch »

First, please be a bit more specific about how you initiate the search process. Are you using Ctrl+Shift +K, which is actually a filter process for the currently displayed folder, or Ctrl+K which is a Global Search and will include results from all folders in all accounts of the profile?

When you access GMail's All Mail "folder" you are not looking at the Inbox for that account. That displays exactly what it says, all messages in that Gmail account. That's an anomaly of Googles email system and not controlled by Thunderbird.
mgagnonlv

Post by mgagnonlv »

In Thunderbird, you should look at your "subscribed to" folders and remove "All mail" from the list, as it includes mail you have in the "inbox", the "sent" messages, and all the other tags in Gmail (that become folders in Thunderbird). Even deleted but not purged mail is listed amongst "All Mail"!
Michel Gagnon
Montréal (Québec, Canada)
JYLD

Post by JYLD »

Not just uncheck the [Gmail] > "All Mail" folder but also uncheck the [Gmail] > "Important" and "Starred" folders, in my opinion anyway.
ep2012

Post by ep2012 »

DanRaisch wrote:First, please be a bit more specific about how you initiate the search process. Are you using Ctrl+Shift +K, which is actually a filter process for the currently displayed folder, or Ctrl+K which is a Global Search and will include results from all folders in all accounts of the profile?

When you access GMail's All Mail "folder" you are not looking at the Inbox for that account. That displays exactly what it says, all messages in that Gmail account. That's an anomaly of Googles email system and not controlled by Thunderbird.
I don't use shortcuts, so I don't know what those are.

I right click on a folder & click on search messages.

No, there is no inbox for this Gsuite thingy like there is with regular gmail. The inbox folder I have (I assume) is based on what I had there before I switched to gmail as the e-mail server.

Here's what it looks like. https://mega.nz/#!d9V0TQrR!QVXbweO5ls04 ... -2uCOQh54A

Thanks
Ignoring the Truth about what is going on will NOT make it go away, it will only help those who are destroying US!
ep2012

Post by ep2012 »

mgagnonlv wrote:In Thunderbird, you should look at your "subscribed to" folders and remove "All mail" from the list, as it includes mail you have in the "inbox", the "sent" messages, and all the other tags in Gmail (that become folders in Thunderbird). Even deleted but not purged mail is listed amongst "All Mail"!
You mean under Account Settings, Copies & Folders & Message Archives under "Other?"

That's the only place I see the "All Mail" even mentioned.

I don't know what you mean by "subscribed to". I've never seen that in TB before & I've been with TB since 2004, although I admit I use what I use & never really look around at things I don't know about :)

Thanks
ep2012

Post by ep2012 »

JYLD wrote:Not just uncheck the [Gmail] > "All Mail" folder but also uncheck the [Gmail] > "Important" and "Starred" folders, in my opinion anyway.
You mean within the gmail account settings, NOT within TB, right?

Yeh I was going to ask my website coder to tell me what this "important" folder is for.

I'm not a lover of gmail. The ONLY reason I use it (and I wish I didn't, as I HATE G) is b/c their spam filters are very efficient. And I decided to use this Gsuite thing b/c I'm on a shared hoster & this means when I send biz e-mails the odds of my e-mail ending up in new people's spam folder is very high. If I use gmail, it decreases that risk.

If anyone knows of a better e-mail service out there, LMK pls. Not for biz per say, but just overall.

I know there's all these really obscure ones, but I'm not sure how great they are & I won't use Yahoo or hotmail/live.

I tried to use Rackspace for their e-mail server & I had nothing but problems with them. One of the sites I'm a member of, first all of their mail went into their spam folder, then once they whitelisted them they didn't show up at all.

Thanks
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

No, there is no inbox for this Gsuite thingy like there is with regular gmail. The inbox folder I have (I assume) is based on what I had there before I switched to gmail as the e-mail server.
Yes, there is an Inbox and it's listing 1,493 messages. The grayed out "[Gmail]" entry four folders below it is just an indicator that the folders below it are folders subscribed to in Thunderbird from the Google server.
You mean within the gmail account settings, NOT within TB, right?
No, that's not what is meant. With an IMAP type account, which is how this Gmail account seems to be set up in Thunderbird, one can choose which server folders are visible in folder list in Thunderbird. https://www.pcworld.com/article/250202/ ... tions.html
ep2012

Post by ep2012 »

Thanks for that.

Ok, so this is all done now.

Another issue:

There is the gmail spam folder (which I kept so I know when there's spam & I can train it in gmail webmail), but when I logged into webmail gmail to see the spam, spam mail is MISSING !!! :(

This makes no sense at all. Why is it showing up in TB & not on Webmail?

This is IMAP
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

If the SPAM "folder" (it's actually just labeled messages, not really a folder) is emply, it will appear far down on the list of fodlers/labels and you may have to scroll down a ways to see it in the web mail interface.
ep2012

Post by ep2012 »

DanRaisch wrote:If the SPAM "folder" (it's actually just labeled messages, not really a folder) is emply, it will appear far down on the list of fodlers/labels and you may have to scroll down a ways to see it in the web mail interface.
I checked the spam folder in gmail's webmail, there's no e-mail in there.

There's only one spam folder in gmail, not two.
ep2012

Post by ep2012 »

Also, did anyone come up with a reason why when I use search in TB it's not putting the e-mails in chrono order?

Thanks
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

As I said, if there are no spam messages, Gmail will put the SPAM "folder" way down on the list of "folders" in the left hand panel of the web mail page.
There's only one spam folder in gmail, not two.
No one has mentioned two spam folders in Gmail so I don't know that is supposed to mean.
Also, did anyone come up with a reason why when I use search in TB it's not putting the e-mails in chrono order?
Is the folder you are searching sorted in chronological order before you initiate the search?
ep2012

Post by ep2012 »

DanRaisch wrote:
As I said, if there are no spam messages, Gmail will put the SPAM "folder" way down on the list of "folders" in the left hand panel of the web mail page.

You didn't understand what I said. In TB there WAS spam, just not in webmail.

Anyway, I logged in just now & the spam is now showing up & yes I know that the folder is lower down in the left nav, but I never said I couldn't find it, I said the spam messages weren't there.

Thank gawd gmail is working now.
Is the folder you are searching sorted in chronological order before you initiate the search?
Of course it's sorted by chrono. I mentioned that I even went & tried sorting it again & it still didn't work.
ep2012

Post by ep2012 »

So even though the spam is now showing up in gmail (I think Google was down that day as I had other issues with Gsuite, not just that), I've noticed that the spam folder in TB isn't updating unless I click on the folder, then the amount of spam changes, so it's giving me the wrong number/total.

As for the chrono problem, it may be fixed now. I'll have to test it in the next week or so.

That may have been an issue with gmail/Google again, who knows.

Thanks