sudden, long, long page loading

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
brynn

sudden, long, long page loading

Post by brynn »

Hi Friends,
If any of you has some spare time, could you help me to troubleshoot this problem? Suddenly today, I'm having extremely long page loading time or refreshing pages. Some pages never load, because I get tired of waiting after 5 minutes. Some eventually load in 15 to 30 sec. Or they appear to be loaded, but the arrow keeps going around and around, and I click the red X button (which I use in my personal customized browser setup) to stop whatever loading hasn't happened yet. Any pages which load relatively fast (15 to 30 sec), after repeated refreshes, get slower and slower.

Eventually all pages are affected, so I'm really hobbled on the internet, until I can get this fixed.

My first thought was to upgrade the browser, which I just finished doing. That didn't solve the problem. Since I open the same tabs that I had open yesterday, again today, and day after day, I thought maybe somehow the tabs needed to be renewed. So I closed some tabs, and reopened them fresh, but that didn't help.

Then I thought maybe a cookie problem. But not when every website I either visit or have open is affected. All the cookies couldn't go bad, could they? Plus, don't new cookies get downloaded when the page is refreshed?

I cleaned all the temp files, using a deep cleaning tool, not just the browser cache. Including restarting computer. Those didn't help either.

Do you think it could be some problem with my internet service? I haven't called them yet, because arrggh, it's always a nightmare, because no one knows what they're doing, and they're all reading through scripted flowchart type of process, and no one knows how to think independently. But I guess I might have to call them.

Do you all have any other ideas?

Oh....wireless router maybe?? It's fairly new....within a year, I'd say.

I've checked my local security logs, and don't see any evidence of security issue. I've looked at Task Manager, which since windows 7, doesn't show much of anything. Now I have Process Explorer, but it's so complex, it's hard to understand what I see. In general, cpu and memory seem acceptable, although they do seem elevated from normal, somewhat. (Both hovering around 20%, but usually cpu around 5% and memory around 8 to 10%)

After I post this, I'll try to watch the Process Explorer while a page is trying to load. Maybe that could tell something? Oh, and I can check WinPatrol too. It's a very handy tool which might have some info.... Oh, maybe check Event Viewer and system logs too....

OH!! I do have an old version of Firefox, and IE11, so I'll test with those too.

SM 2.49.4 (approx 8 extensions, 7 plugins)
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
ESET Internet Security 12.2.23.0
Temp File Cleaner by Old Timer v 3.1.9.0
Process Explorer 16.12

I'd appreciate any brainstorming you might have some time to offer. More info coming shortly.

Thank you very much!
frg

Re: sudden, long, long page loading

Post by frg »

If in doubt suspect your antivirus software.

https://support.eset.com/kb2217/
brynn

Post by brynn »

Thanks. I may look into that eventually. I've been using ESET for several years, and this problem started suddenly today. It's not like something's being blocked....at least not in the way I understand what that kb is about. Plus, it's happening on http and https sites alike. Although I fully understand that it could be related to some ESET update, in some way, and I may eventually get back to ESET.

I tested all my browsers, and they are all behaving like this. So I'm thinking it's either not related to the browser, or it's globally related to all browsers, somehow.

I found a Warning in Administrative Events log (something about the speed of processor) But it's not happening with each page load. It looks like it's happening 4 times in a row, about every 8 to 12 hours. I have no clue what it means. But it's been happening since before the problem started. So maybe not part of the problem.

I don't see anything in Process Explorer that looks like it shouldn't be there. Although as I said, it's hard to understand a lot of it. Didn't find any clues in WinPatrol either.

Guess I might have to break down and call ISP....

One clue, that I think is probably important....although I haven't figured out exactly what it means yet. Even if I leave it alone and let the page try to load for 5 minutes, it never times out. It's like it's just stuck trying to load but can't. Hhmm....could that mean that the delay is not related to....the internet or DNS? It's not like it can't find the address or page. It's about loading it. Hhmm....

All I know about what happens after the browser finds the page/address, is that it reads the html (or whatever the code is) and displays it. But I have no idea what programs or services or processes are involved, or exactly how it reads it. I guess it reads the html (and css or whatever) files.

If this is not the best place to get help with this, can someone recommend a better place?

Thanks again :)
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

brynn wrote:If this is not the best place to get help with this, can someone recommend a better place?
Oh! It's horrible place to ask for help. Rookies are tortured here with irrelevant answers, additional questions and sometimes silly suggestions or even demands... :wink:

Run CMD and then:

Code: Select all

ipconfig /flushdns
Did you update Windows 7 with latest August "fixes" from Microsoft?

Check permissions for "seamonkey.exe" under ESET Security (especially for SSL).

Create completely new profile (just for test) under SeaMonkey and check it then.

You could disable Safe Browsing:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3037361

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14787837

:-"
--
therube

Post by therube »

Are other browsers affected; Firefox, IE ...?

Can you connect wired?

Test with a new, clean Profile.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
brynn

Post by brynn »

Thanks for you comments!

Yes, Firefox and IE are both affected in the same way. I could connect wired.....oh no wait. I recently lost my old desktop tower. I guess I could connect directly to the router, but I'm not sure if I have the right kind of cord. I'll have to look around.

I did not install August Windows Updates yet. They're waiting for me though.

I'll have to look at your link, but I don't think I use Safe Browsing.

Meanwhile, the problem might be easing up some. Page loads are coming a little faster, although not back to normal. What a weird problem!!

I have to log off shortly, but I'll continue testing with your suggestions, and report back tomorrow, or whenever I get back online. Sure didn't get much done today though :roll:

Thanks again for your help!
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

brynn wrote:I'll have to look at your link, but I don't think I use Safe Browsing.
By default SB is always enabled. If you don't want it then you must disable it.
--
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

"brynn" wrote...
I tested all my browsers, and they are all behaving like this.
Moving this to the Tech. forum...
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
morat

Post by morat »

therube

Post by therube »

Yes, Firefox and IE are both affected in the same way.
Then that tends to point to something external (of SeaMonkey).
Possibly a proxy, or mode, router ...
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Virus /Malware
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
brynn

Post by brynn »

Fyi, the problem is improved, but not back to normal. But since it's not restricted to SM, I should probably find a better place to get help.

If I find the answer, I'll post again, but otherwise, this can be considered closed.

Thanks again for your help!
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

You might want to read this.. http://support.eset.com/kb3126/
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
therube

Post by therube »