(Resolved) Primary folder and secondary folder problem

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
larsonjean

(Resolved) Primary folder and secondary folder problem

Post by larsonjean »

Hello,
I have a primary folder in my name and I have created a sub-folder in my husband's name and we both belong to @tampabay.rr.com.
I have no problem receiving mail in my primary folder. When I log in to my husband's account I see that he is receiving all my messages also..I'm not hiding anything but I do not want to get these duplicate messages .

I would appreciate if someone can help me turn off this feature.
Thank you.
larsonjean
Last edited by DanRaisch on August 21st, 2019, 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Resolved added to subject per OP's report.
DanRaisch

Re: Primary folder and secondary folder problem

Post by DanRaisch »

Maybe it's just terminology but when you speak of a "sub-folder" are you referring to a second, separate account with a different term before the @tampabay.rr.com? https://products.secureserver.net/email ... erbird.htm
Can you each access your own mail independently through the web mail page of tampabay.rr.com?
larsonjean

Post by larsonjean »

Thank you for trying to help me.
As you know, my email address is xxxxxxxxx@tampabay.rr.com and my husband's is zzzzzzzz@tampabay.rr.com. His account is on the same server, Spectrum, as mine.
I can't seem to send attachments here but I will write down both server setting.
I just thought of something, the outgoing server is the same on both emails.
I will get back soon, I have to go now.
Thank you again.
Last edited by DanRaisch on August 19th, 2019, 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Email address obscured per forum rules. http://forums.mozillazine.org/faq.php?mode=rules#f4r4
larsonjean

Post by larsonjean »

Here are the Server Settings for each account:

Server Type: POP-server.tampabay.rr.com, Port 110
User Name: xxxxxxxxxxx@tampabay.rr.com
Connetion security: None

Server Type: IMAP Mail Server, Port 993
User Name: zzzzzzzzzz@tampabay.rr.com
Connetion security: SSL/TLS

Outgoing Server (SMTP) Settings
RoadRunner/TWC - mail.twc.com
Port 587
User name: xxxxxxxxxxxx@tampabay.rr.com
Authentication method: Normal password
Connection Security: STARTTLS

I HOPE THIS HELPS. THANK YOU.
JEAN
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

OK, lesson 1: I removed your email address from your post. Spammers harvest email addresses from public forums like this and you'd soon wind up with an endless stream of spam messages.

Lesson 2: You'll want to add a second SMTP server definition in Thunderbird so that those receiving messages from your husband see them as coming from him and not from your email account. http://kb.mozillazine.org/Thunderbird_: ... TP_Servers
Can you each access your own mail independently through the web mail page of tampabay.rr.com?
If you do, are the duplicate messages (your messages) also present in your husband's email when viewed on the web mail page?
larsonjean

Post by larsonjean »

Yes, I can access my own mail and also Paul's through the web mail.

When I go into Paul's on web mail I also get my mail too.
When I go into my email I only get mine.

I really think Paul's security settings are wrong but when I added him the system set up the configuration.

I am not sure what settings I put in when I create a new SMTP server definition for Paul.

Oh, I am so frustrated with this. I hope you are not.

Thanks again.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

If you see both Pauls and your mail when you log into Pauls webmail than you do not have truly separate accounts. I've read articles that claim that you can get up to four more email addresses under a primary account with RoadRunner. I suspect Pauls account is the primary account and your account is a secondary account (aka subaccount), managed by Pauls account.

Thunderbird is just mirroring what is available via webmail. You should first try to solve that via modifying what webmail does.

I suggest you browse Pauls webmail settings to see if there are any settings controlling whether it sees mail from child accounts / subaccounts etc. One place to start might be to see if your mail usage counts towards his mailbox quota. If you can't figure this out easily I suggest you call RoadRunner help and ask if there is any way to hide secondary accounts mail from the primary account. They might not support that feature.

If you can't prevent Pauls webmail from listing your email he could create a custom mail view in Thunderbird that only shows mail sent to his email address. This is different from a message filter (that would move the mail). Right click on the main toolbar, select customize, and drag and drop the "Mail Views" icon to the toolbar and press "Done". Click on the list box for the icon you added to the toolbar, and select Customize, and then New. You'll want to select "From, To, CC or BCC" "contains" "his email address". If he is on any mailing lists that don't send him a separately addressed message (they list the mailing list as the recipient rather than his address) he needs to add a second entry in that custom view for the mailing list name.
larsonjean

Post by larsonjean »

I think I found the solution to the problem. I went in web mail with my email address and searched settings. This is what I found:
Forward your email to additional email addresses. You can enter up to 5 email addresses

Current forwarding email addresses
xxxxxx.tampabay.rr.com

I hid remove to erase it. I know I never would have added that but who knows.

Thank you again so much for all this good help. Before I close this out I will check once more when more mail comes in and hopefully with prayers Paul will not get my mail.
larsonjean

Post by larsonjean »

Sorry to say, that didn't work. I am still getting messages in both accounts.

Do you think it would be a good idea to delete Paul's account in Thunderbird and then see if I still get My web emails in Paul's account. If so,wouldn't it be Spectrum or road runners fault?

Just thinking.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Deleting an account in Thunderbird won't help.

If somebody (other than Paul) sends you a new message after you removed the forwarding does that show up in Paul's account? The reason I ask is its not clear whether you had read all of the forwarded mail or not. Removing the forwarding doesn't make them disappear, it just stops additional messages from being forwarded.

"I am still getting messages in both accounts"
I thought the problem only occurred in your husbands account. Can I assume you misspoke and what you meant to say was the problem (your husband getting both his and your mail) still occurs?
larsonjean

Post by larsonjean »

Guess what? I do not know what I did except go on my webmail account and again paul's email address was in there, I took it out and made sure I saved it. When I went back into Thunderbird, Paul's account did not get any of my mail.

You don't know how grateful I am for your help. This was driving me crazy. Thanks a thousand times.
I will close out the question now.
larsonjean

Post by larsonjean »

I do not see where to close it out. Help please.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

You can add [Solved] to your 1st post by clicking the Edit button at the top.
If you want, the thread can be locked to stop any spam from accumulating.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
larsonjean

Post by larsonjean »

Sorry but when I clicked EDIT, I didn't see anything on the page to "Close".
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

There are no provisions for a user to close publicly-viewable posts/threads. What you CAN do is edit your initial post and add "[Solved]" to the title so people know no further help is needed.

Locking the thread can only be done by administrators.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 124.0.2 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 124.2.0/115.9.0 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers