Thunderbird Web Browser Remote Access

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
Paul Melior

Thunderbird Web Browser Remote Access

Post by Paul Melior »

Hi all,

I have been using TB for over 10 years on a small LAN, and keep profiles and emails databases on a central file server for easy backup

This is great because I can access my email from any pc on the LAN, by just adding a path line to the target properties box in the TB icon.

But the world has moved on...

Can TB be converted to Web Broswer interface like Rainloop, or Roundcube ?

Does not need to be a full blown email server, just the TB app running normally on the file server, but presenting results on remote web browser.

Maybe future project ? :-k

Pseudo Webmail Client, Remote access, RDP
tanstaafl

Re: Thunderbird Web Browser Remote Access

Post by tanstaafl »

Why not run a free IMAP server such as hMailServer on your file server and store the messages in a public folder? Then any PC on the LAN could use a email client to access that mail without requiring any login information.

You could also archive the mail (you can add additional mail later on to the archive) in a .xml file on the file server using Mbox2XML and then view the mail using a modern browser.
Paul Melior

Post by Paul Melior »

Hi tanstaafl,

Thanks for the suggestion, I will research hMailServer ...

I have a dream of a TB webmail home server that can be accessed through a home LAN, or remotely over the internet through any browser.

If the internet is down, no problem, all smart devices ( LCD TV, smart phones, tablets etc ) at home can still access the central webmail home server through a standard web interface.

Most ISP's offer simple webmail access, and there is always GMail, but if your internet goes down or your monthly data is used up, you cannot access your email.

Hence we still use TB email client app, designed to download and keep the email "database" files on a local desktop PC, but it seems such an old way to do things....

Just a thought.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

If you use a IMAP account, Thunderbird by default creates offline copies (using mbox files, just like POP accounts use) of all of the remote folders. If your Internet connection is down, switch to working offline and it will display mail from the offline folders (stored on the hard disk), rather than the remote folders.

You could create an archive of the messages on a file server use Mbox2XML that you can view using a web browser. Or use message filters to have Thunderbird automatically copy all messages to your IMAP server (installed on your file server box). Thunderbird supports message filters for both fetching new mail and sending messages.
Paul Melior

Post by Paul Melior »

Thanks!

useful info

I think I will research and try this out, it looks better than what I am doing now.