[SOLVED] New or refreshed profile?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
ineuw

[SOLVED] New or refreshed profile?

Post by ineuw »

Which is better, creating a new profile or the refresh option to repair a possibly corrupted profile?
Last edited by ineuw on August 26th, 2019, 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Firefox 124.0.2 (default install) in Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon 64 bit, updated on 240425:1419
malliz
Folder@Home

Re: New or refreshed profile?

Post by malliz »

New - no if but or maybe
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
ineuw

Post by ineuw »

malliz wrote:New - no if but or maybe
Thanks.!!!!!
Firefox 124.0.2 (default install) in Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon 64 bit, updated on 240425:1419
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

ineuw wrote:Which is better, creating a new profile or the refresh option to repair a possibly corrupted profile?
Refresh. It saves all your bookmarks, passwords and other items.
Important: Since Firefox will revert to its original state, your own configurations and customizations, including extensions, extension data, and about:config preference configurations are removed. If you've made accessibility configurations, you may need to change them back after refreshing.
It's easy to restore extensions from the Old Firefox Data folder created on the desktop, or it was the last time I used it.

Try both, or do you have a magic way of restoring all your bookmarks, passwords, cookies and other items kept with a refresh?
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
ineuw

Post by ineuw »

I have many backups of Firefox profile data. When refreshing, or creating a new profile, I always install new extensions from Mozilla extensions. This time I noticed two corruptions. One was the "Wiktionary" extension which stopped working (an important tool for me), and the other was the (places.sqlite) which displayed two of every bookmark, but the integrity test in the Troubleshooting page showed that the data file was OK. So, I knew that it was time.