Anyone else notice the removal of 2.53 builds from WG9s?

Discussion about Seamonkey builds
RDaneel

Anyone else notice the removal of 2.53 builds from WG9s?

Post by RDaneel »

To be more accurate, it is the Windows builds that have gone missing... Linux and Mac are both still present.

And I do mean "missing" - there are reasonably fresh (August 24) builds for Linux and Mac, but no 2.53 builds for Windows (not even "stale" ones") - I suppose it is good I had grabbed the last Windows ones (from the 24th also) while they were there. :|

OTOH, there is still a full multi-arch/multi-OS complement of 2.57 builds, like from yesterday...

So, assuming this isn't a temporary condition, my options going forward include?

Largely on the basis of the esteemed frg's comments on 2.53's usability, I had switched to the 2.53 builds a good number of months ago - is there any chance that "2.57 is the new 2.53"? ;)

Isn't it the case that 2.57 is further down the path of "Web Extensions" than 2.53 [was]? The only add-on I really care about is NoScript.

Inquiring Minds... and all. :mrgreen:
Bac_a_sable

Re: Anyone else notice the removal of 2.53 builds from WG9s?

Post by Bac_a_sable »

I just went now to WG9 and found 2.53 2.57 and 2.61a build for windows. :)
RDaneel

Post by RDaneel »

Sweet! Yes, the "missing" Windows builds have returned...

(edit: well, yes, further examination reveals that the primary builds are back as reported, but the "extras" like lightning, chatzilla, etc have not made a comeback [yet?])

This should (I suppose) just be added to the set of states we can observe this valuable resource to be in: Present, Missing, and Partial. :p

I still would appreciate a comment from someone familiar with what's inside these builds, comparing what one might expect from 2.53 vs 2.57... as in, roughly the same (or different) ported fragments from ESR60, how they stack up in terms of Web Extension support, etc.

Put another way, if one has been [more than] satisfied with the perf / functionality / stability of 2.53, might it be time to take 2.57 out for a spin?

We now return you to your regularly scheduled browsing.
Last edited by RDaneel on August 31st, 2019, 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4td8s

Post by 4td8s »

RDaneel wrote:
I still would appreciate a comment from someone familiar with what's inside these builds, comparing what one might expect from 2.53 vs 2.57... as in, roughly the same (or different) ported fragments from ESR60, how they stack up in terms of Web Extension support, etc.

Put another way, if one has been [more than] satisfied with the perf / functionality / stability of 2.53, might it be time to take 2.57 out for a spin?
perhaps you should contact WG9S and ask him about that (use the Feedback form on his web site)
RDaneel

Post by RDaneel »

And, in the spirit of "doing it yourself" rather than expecting / hoping someone else will do it for you ;), I actually tried 2.57... sigh.

This was after digesting portions of

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1433370

... which seemed to suggest that the "big" UI problems with the 2.57 email client had been addressed, but alas, not so much - or at least, what I saw was a functional-enough browser, but with a non-functioning email client.

Specifically, while the prefs showed that all of my server information was present and configured, there was NO display in either the "folders" pane or the messages pane at all - just blank whiteness.

Yes, it could just be some more work is needed on the Javascript-based "glue" that provides the outer shell of the email client, but at this point, it isn't there yet - so I need to stick with 2.53 a while longer.

So, while just now, 2.57 is not "the new 2.53", as soon as the email client is even "kinda-sorta" expected to work, I will jump on trying this again, of course. :)
frg

Post by frg »

As long as not at least https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=507601 is fixed the mail client won't work. Currently 2.53 gets the most attention. Bugs for it are ported to 2.57 and up too. 2.53 is more or less at esr60.4 with additional sec fixes.

Bills page lists the included patches. More than 2000 for 2.53 compared to the latest Nightly 2.53a1 from 2017. This is not the end :) An official Beta is planned for later. No estimate yet.

FRG