Simpleast way to change *ALL* fonts in TB?

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Rekrul

Simpleast way to change *ALL* fonts in TB?

Post by Rekrul »

I'm asking this for a friend who isn't very computer literate. She has the latest version of Thunderbird (I don't). She uses a monitor with a native resolution of 1920x1200. She has to squint at the screen to read the message titles and folder names in Thunderbird. The only thing she can increase is the message text size.

Keeping in mind that I have an old version of Thunderbird, so I can't test solutions myself, she's in a different country, so I can't just go over to her house to implement a solution for her and she needs a solution that is super-easy to follow, what is the easiest way to change the size of all the fonts in Thunderbird?

She needs the folder list font to be bigger, the message list font to be bigger, etc. And while not absolutely necessary, it would be nice if the fonts for the menus and the buttons for things like "Get Messages" were also larger. Can this be done?
sfhowes

Re: Simpleast way to change *ALL* fonts in TB?

Post by sfhowes »

The easiest way is to install Theme Font & Size Changer and set the Zoom factor in the add-on Options to something like 125 or 150.

https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-us/th ... ger-fixed/

This will work in TB 60 and lower, but not TB 68. If she can't install the add-on, I suggest you establish a remote connection with something like TeamViewer.

If she has TB 68, I recommend that TB 60 be downloaded and installed over 68.

https://archive.mozilla.org/pub/thunder ... 8.0/win32/
Rekrul

Post by Rekrul »

sfhowes wrote:The easiest way is to install Theme Font & Size Changer and set the Zoom factor in the add-on Options to something like 125 or 150.

https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-us/th ... ger-fixed/

This will work in TB 60 and lower, but not TB 68. If she can't install the add-on, I suggest you establish a remote connection with something like TeamViewer.
Thank you. I just spoke to her and she has version 60.8.0, which is what you recommended. She wasn't in the mood to do it right now (migraine), but says we'll do it tomorrow.

One question; Let's assume that she installs this and it does what she wants. Isn't it just going to be undone the next time Thunderbird updates itself and installs a newer version? Actually, I'm shocked that it hasn't already since as far as I know she has automatic updates turned on, even though she seems progressively less happy with each new version.

Or will version 60.8.0 (32-bit) not update itself any further? Also, I don't know why she has the 32-bit version when she has a 64-bit version of Win7. I know she originally installed it several years ago, but it's been updating itself right along.
sfhowes

Post by sfhowes »

The plan is that TB 60.8 will auto-update to the 68 branch when 68.1 is released. At that time, there may be a 68-compatible version of the add-on, but no guarantees. I would switch the update setting to 'check but let me choose' to avoid unpleasant side effects. In most cases, I don't see any compelling reason to update to 68 right now, especially until the add-on situation stabilizes. By the way, the 32-bit version is the official version, and while 64-bit TB is available, it's not yet officially supported. Besides, the performance gains are currently zero to minimal.

You can achieve the same effects as TF&SC with a custom userChrome.css file, and this method works in all versions of TB, but it takes a bit more effort to implement (search this forum for more info).
Rekrul

Post by Rekrul »

sfhowes wrote:The plan is that TB 60.8 will auto-update to the 68 branch when 68.1 is released. At that time, there may be a 68-compatible version of the add-on, but no guarantees. I would switch the update setting to 'check but let me choose' to avoid unpleasant side effects.
Unpleasant side effects are why I have and old version of Thunderbird.
sfhowes wrote:By the way, the 32-bit version is the official version, and while 64-bit TB is available, it's not yet officially supported. Besides, the performance gains are currently zero to minimal.
Thanks for the explanation.
sfhowes wrote:You can achieve the same effects as TF&SC with a custom userChrome.css file, and this method works in all versions of TB, but it takes a bit more effort to implement (search this forum for more info).
I figured as much, but trying to get her to find the proper directory to put the file in would be hard.
Rekrul

Post by Rekrul »

Just a quick update: She installed the extension and is pleased with the results. Thank you. :)