(Resolved) Export one mailing list/how many members in list

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Swarup

(Resolved) Export one mailing list/how many members in list

Post by Swarup »

After creating a mailing list, can that single mailing list be exported? Or can the members be copied collectively and then pasted somewhere, for example into a text file?

Also: Is there some quick way to check how many members there are in the mailing list without counting them manually?

I am using Thunderbird 60.8.0 (64 bit), in Ubuntu 18.04.
Last edited by DanRaisch on September 7th, 2019, 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Thread marked resolved per OP's last post.
DanRaisch

Re: Export one mailing list / check how many members are in

Post by DanRaisch »

To export the contents of a mailing list simply open the Address Book window of Thunderbird and select the name of the mailing list in the left hand pane. Then use menu path Tools->Export->select "Comma Separated (System Charset)(*.csv)" from the "Save as type:" drop down list. Give the file a name and select the target folder for saving the file then click on the "Save" button.

As for counting the number of members in list, if the number is large it may be easiest to export the list to a CSV file and then view that file in a spreadsheet where the number will be easily found.

Note that the above menu paths are for Windows and those in Linux may be slightly different but the basic process will be the same.
sfhowes

Post by sfhowes »

The number of contacts in an address book or mailing list is shown in the Status Bar in Address Book. View/Toolbars/Status Bar.
Swarup

Post by Swarup »

@DanRaisch: I was able to do the export as you directed. Thank you! However, I counted manually the number of members in the list in the TB list itself, and there are 49 members. When I export it, it only exports 32. There are no duplicates. What could explain the failure to export all the members of the list?

@sfhowes: What you are describing sounds very useful, but perhaps it only shows up like that in Windows. In Ubuntu TB, the view/toolbars/status bar does not seem to show me anything.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You will have to do some detective work to determine what's going on with that count issue. Identify one of the members of the list, shown in Thunderbird but not included in the exported data. Can you find anything different in that record from the records that were properly exported? Compare the two records within Thunderbird. Does the "missing" record have an email address in the appropriate field or is some other field populated or not populated in one records vs the other?
Swarup

Post by Swarup »

In TB Ubuntu, there are no such varieties of fields. It is just one field, to which one adds the email address. And one may also include the person's name, as in "John Brown <jbrown@gmail.com>"
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

I don't believe we're speaking of the same place in the program.

Are you opening the Address Book window of Thunderbird?

Are you looking at the specific contact record for a member of the list (below), or only at the list itself (second image below) ?
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

Swarup wrote:@sfhowes: What you are describing sounds very useful, but perhaps it only shows up like that in Windows. In Ubuntu TB, the view/toolbars/status bar does not seem to show me anything.
Don't know about Ubuntu, but in the standard Windows installation, checking view/toolbars/status bar places a "status bar" at the very bottom of the window. When a mailing list is selected in the left pane, the name of the email list and the number of entries is shown at the left end of the status bar at the bottom of the screen.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 115.0.02 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 115.2.0/115.0.1 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
Swarup

Post by Swarup »

@DanRaisch: OK, I see now yes, there exists an individual record for each member. Of the 53 current members of the list I did a random check of around ten, and all had the email id listed in the proper field. Would have to check more specifically as per your suggestion for those not in the output. But it looks like all are in the right place so far.
@ makaguy: Great, yes now I see it-- all the way at the very bottom of the screen!
Swarup

Post by Swarup »

Update: problem solved. Everything is exporting perfectly now. Not sure what the problem was earlier. Problem solved!