SeaMonkey 2.49.5 has been released !!!

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
Peter Creasey

Re: SeaMonkey 2.49.5 has been released !!!

Post by Peter Creasey »

Is there any way to keep SM 32-bit with the version 2.49.5?

Or do I have to uninstall 32-bit and install 64-bit?
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
kerft

Post by kerft »

Both exist. On 64-bit Windows you can run either you prefer but it is best to not have both installed.
32-bit advantages: for a comparable workload uses less memory, has more testing by users, compatible with some 32-bit plugins
64-bit advantages: can use more virtual or real memory to prevent the most common crash - out-of-memory, may use DEP and ASLR to prevent some malware from running
LordOfTheBored

Post by LordOfTheBored »

Peter Creasey wrote:
Frank Lion wrote:
Peter Creasey wrote:You are on Windows 32bit.
Frank etal, nope, My system is Windows Home 64-bit.

If I have the SeaMonkey 2.49.4 32-bit, then I have to uninstall it first...is this right?

Thanks.
Your version of Windows is 64-bit. Your version of Seamonkey is 32-bit.
There's nothing wrong with "mixing bittage". You may continue to use 32-bit Seamonkey on 64-bit Windows just as you have been.

If you update to a "Windows x86" version of 2.49.5, you can just run the installer and go. If you upgrade to a "Windows x64" build, you will have to do the uninstall/reinstall dance.
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

LordOfTheBored wrote:
Peter Creasey wrote:If you update to a "Windows x86" version of 2.49.5
Ah, thanks so much.

I just went to SM Project and, yes, the Windows x86 version is the one shown there. It is a relief to know this can be the one to download for my PCs in the normal fashion.

Thank you.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
kerft

Post by kerft »

There is no reason to be afraid of uninstalling, cleaning up (only in program files and x86, not anywhere else) and reinstalling. It will not affect your profile which has your data. Making backups of your profile is valuable anyway.
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

k, granted, in theory what you say is true; however, many's the slip between the cup and the lip.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
Justinh

Post by Justinh »

Please fix the expired TLS cert:
This Connection is Untrusted

You have asked SeaMonkey to connect securely to www.seamonkey-project.org, but we can't confirm that your connection is secure.

Normally, when you try to connect securely, websites will present trusted identification to prove that you are going to the right place. However, this website's identity can't be verified.
What Should I Do?

If you usually connect to this website without problems, this error could mean that someone is trying to impersonate the website, and you shouldn't continue.

This site uses HTTP Strict Transport Security (HSTS) to specify that SeaMonkey only connect to it securely. As a result, it is not possible to add an exception for this certificate.
Technical Details

www.seamonkey-project.org uses an invalid security certificate.

The certificate is only valid for seamonkey-project.org

Error code: <a id="errorCode" title="SSL_ERROR_BAD_CERT_DOMAIN">SSL_ERROR_BAD_CERT_DOMAIN</a>
James

Post by James »

The certificate issue for http://www.seamonkey-project.org is known and should be fixed hopefully soon. http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3054846

Btw your post had nothing to do with this thread.
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

frg wrote:> mm the .tar.bz2 are not installers but more like a zip archive
Maybe package or archive. What do you think?
"tar" = "Tape Archive" - from the times where you'd do your backups on an old-fashioned magnetic tape 8-)

You can get SeaMonkey also from the distributions' repositories. For example, OpenSUSE and Red Hat use the "rpm" format, which are packages. The package manager takes care of dependencies, in contrast to a plain archive, which are recorded in that package file (which otherwise is basically just a cpio archive).