SMonkey to TBird

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
WaltP

SMonkey to TBird

Post by WaltP »

I need to switch back to FireFox/Thunderbird from Seamonkey. SM to FX went fine. The SM to TB did not.

I went to Tools/Import and set "SeaMonley 2..." and clicked NEXT. There was no change in the TB Profile path that I could tell and there are no emails imported. I've found no up-to-date instructions for a migration.

I'm fine with moving files by hand but
1: what do I move from the SM "Mail" dir
2: where do I move them under the xxx.default dir in TB.

Thanks,
Walt

TB 60.9.0
SM 2.49.3
sfhowes

Re: SMonkey to TBird

Post by sfhowes »

SM and TB store mail in mbox files. They are the files with no extension and accompanied by .msf files with the same name. In the Mail folder, there will be a Local Folders subdirectory and subfolders for each POP account. Copy the mbox files from SM to the Mail/Local Folders subfolder of xxx.default in TB, while TB is closed.

The Tools/Import function in current versions of TB doesn't work for SM, but it should work with an older version like 3.1.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Migrate_from_ ... hunderbird
WaltP

Post by WaltP »

So basically just clone the Seamonkey "Mail" folder into the TBird profile directory.

Thanks!
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Don't forget to copy the abook.mab and history.mab address book files over the files with the same name in the Thunderbird profile.
WaltP

Post by WaltP »

Cloned.

TBird does not see anything at all.
What else do I need to make TBird see the settings?
Isn't everything in the Mail path?
sfhowes

Post by sfhowes »

I wouldn't advise copying the SM Mail folder as is over the TB Mail folder. Try copying just the mbox files from SM to Mail/Local Folders in TB.
WaltP

Post by WaltP »

So how do the settings for each mailbox get into TB? Aren't they in a config file in the MAIL dir?
sfhowes

Post by sfhowes »

The account settings are stored in the prefs.js file in the profile folder. I think it's best to add the accounts manually to TB and leave the old SM mail in Local Folders.
WaltP

Post by WaltP »

Since I have to start TB anyway, I can simply start SM-Mail and not have to re-setup all my emails. Simpler is better. I hope.