Problem That Defies Sense - a Challenge!

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
a.k.a. Djeau

Problem That Defies Sense - a Challenge!

Post by a.k.a. Djeau »

For quite a number of years, I have forwarded emails to friends and neighbors. These emails often include a number of pictures (.jpg format and others).

Several months ago, I found out that ONLY the top (1) picture displays and any of the rest are too microscopic to see.

After many unsuccessful attempts to fix the problems, I have discovered the I cannot do a copy (<ctrl-c> or from the menu line) of the pictures and then paste them into a Word document. Doing the same copy operation with ONLY one picture works as it always has.

I succeeded in trying to do the copy and paste to Word if I only did one picture at a time.

Additional fact: I use a couple of different editions of Word however they are updated to the latest Windows 10 use.

My challenge? Can you help me fix the unfixable????
Joe/Joseph/Dad/Pop/Poppop/”Djeau”
DanRaisch

Re: Problem That Defies Sense - a Challenge!

Post by DanRaisch »

What does Word have to do with this if you are "forwarding" the images using Thunderbird? Why is Word being used at all?
a.k.a. Djeau

Post by a.k.a. Djeau »

DanRaisch wrote:What does Word have to do with this if you are "forwarding" the images using Thunderbird? Why is Word being used at all?
My apology for not explaining the situation properly. You are correct that Word has nothing to do with the problem.

What I should have written was that the forwarding of the email with multiple pictures only fails when they are received by a couple of people at the company where I used to work. They receive the emails but show ONLY the first/top picture displayed. Then ALL of the subsequent pictures are not displayed - showing in their place a very, tiny "square". The recipient sent me a reply and it displays/doesn't display as I have described above.

Here is how Word comes in to the equation. I the past I have the entire contents of an email by highlighting its text and pix - the doing a copy <ctrl-C>. Then pasting it into Word to create a new document for my archiving.

So I used this same process to try to understand if and why cut and paste is now... "selective?"

I am a complete loss to explain why what once worked, no longer works? I am pretty much convinced that the problem is at the "company". It started when they got some new hardware. They are all small desktops running Windows 10. But since I have been retire from there for 12 years now, I dare not get too nosey and wear out my welcome when I visit.

So if you don't have any ideas on the matter, you join me and several other people in the IT business to whom I have posed this poser.

Sometimes we all have to just let things go... Thanks, Dan, for taking the time to read this journal.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

My suggestion would be that the issue may have to do with changes to the company's email system and limits they may have set to the "size" of email messages they are permitted to receive and download. Less likely would be that the computers they have switched to have limited RAM and are not loading/displaying data beyond a certain level of memory.
Try sending those folks messages with gradually increasing numbers of images to see if you can determine a cut off point beyond which this issue appears. That is, send the message text with one image, then a second message with the same text and two images, then three images, etc.
a.k.a. Djeau

Post by a.k.a. Djeau »

DanRaisch wrote:My suggestion would be that the issue may have to do with changes to the company's email system and limits they may have set to the "size" of email messages they are permitted to receive and download. Less likely would be that the computers they have switched to have limited RAM and are not loading/displaying data beyond a certain level of memory.
Try sending those folks messages with gradually increasing numbers of images to see if you can determine a cut off point beyond which this issue appears. That is, send the message text with one image, then a second message with the same text and two images, then three images, etc.
Good suggestions all, Dan!! By experimenting - much in the way you have suggested - I have come to several conclusion:
1. The only consistent symptom is that that the is NO consistency. I tried picture-laden emails from several "authors" and had mixed results. Some (or maybe most!) recipients have NO problem at all. Only a couple of people at my former employer's shop report a.) the first picture and the rest "teeny-tiny" b. (yesterday) no pictures at all c: (very seldom) all of the pictures.

Conclusion: the "problem" in in their shop! I would LOVE to figure it out if for no other reason than my own satisfaction. (We old nerds are like that... ](*,) )

However, I can't and won't louse up 12 years of relationship and some "minor miracles" just to satisfy my own curiosity. This means: Keep my hands in my own pocket and coach ...if I can.

So my friend, thanks for your suggestions. If I find out a solution I will post it here - just for the "fun" of it!
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You're welcome, and good luck.