Have come to appreciate this site

Talk about stuff specific to the site -- bugs, suggestions, and of course praise welcome.
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

Just an observation
I've been a member here for many years, using Firefox and Thunderbird. Recently I switched to Waterfox to retain my extensions, but unfortunately the 3rd Party Builds here doesn't attract many WF users.

The help desk for WF is on Reddit.com. There's so much social networking stuff that I didn't even know how to post or find a reply for awhile. Comments are upvoted or downvoted, depending whether a viewer likes or dislikes them. The page is filled with little arrows and numbers and strings of icons and awards and points and coins earned and karma (haven't figured out that one yet.)
An example: https://old.reddit.com/r/waterfox/comme ... e_to_load/

Mozillazine is so functional, and hasn't gone down the rabbit hole of social networking :-) Thanks to all of you. Thinking of changing to SeaMonkey to leave Reddit behind.
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
kerft

Re: Have come to appreciate this site

Post by kerft »

If you switch to Seamonkey, the answer to about half of the support questions for Seamonkey is "spoof your user agent for the bad site, to look like newest Firefox." Similar to that thread you linked to.
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

I already have my UA spoofed because I work online, but I set it up just for that website. Did something wrong.(Don't know how I'll spoof my Win 7 after January 13 LOL)

And actually, the new UA DID solve my Youtube problem. Are you saying the SM people here aren't knowledgeable in other techniques of troubleshooting? Or that a new UA really solves a lot of problems?
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

But has this site come to appreciate you? Best you stick with Waterwhatever, I reckon.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
kerft

Post by kerft »

I see what I said was ambiguous. I meant that spoofed user agents do solve many problems. Experimenting with different ones can help also. The linked thread spoofed Firefox 57 but spoofing 69 or whatever is the latest release is usually best. For some sites, spoofing Chrome or Edge or even IE is what works. The answer of UA spoofing is usefully given in many threads on both support sites, and it should be one of the first things to try.
One list of possible user agents is here https://myip.ms/browse/comp_browseragen ... gents.html
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

Frank Lion wrote:
But has this site come to appreciate you? Best you stick with Waterwhatever, I reckon.
You're being snarky. I've helped many others here as much as I've asked for help, and I will use Thunderbird forever. Mozilla is the villain here, not me. If you know a way of keeping XUL in FF + getting security updates, let us know.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

LoveMyFoxy wrote:I've helped many others here as much as I've asked for help
In an alternate reality maybe, meantime in this one I recall many locked off-topic posts and many threads like this one.

You made your bed with Waterfox, so just stick with it and torment those poor slobs instead.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

You really had to dig for that one. You have some problem other than my trying Waterfox.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

LoveMyFoxy wrote:You have some problem other than my trying Waterfox.
Indeed I do, and never let anyone accuse you of being slow on the uptake, I have a problem with the prospect of you tormenting SeaMonkey users like you did with Firefox ones here in the past.

I am not alone in this view either, so dismayed with the possibility of you returning to the forums here, the Admins have chosen to close the entire site instead! -

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14845166