Connection to server pop.gmail.com was reset

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
jPaulB1

Connection to server pop.gmail.com was reset

Post by jPaulB1 »

I have been following this issue for some time, and still don't understand how to permanently stop it.

It happens quite often, and to my eyes seems to just "fix itself" and then behave. Yeah right .....

I have verified all of the Account Settings are what they're supposed to be.
I clean out every cookie and history list that CCleaner can find.
I have restarted the computer

So the issue is not fatal, but it sure is a pain. The version I use is 68.1.0 (32-bit).

If someone can help me be rid of this weird behaviour, Thank You. I've been keeping copies of all my eMail for many years, regardless of the ISP, so a resident client like Eudora is a bonus.

Thanks,

-Paul-
tanstaafl

Re: Connection to server pop.gmail.com was reset

Post by tanstaafl »

Timed out implies a poor tcp-ip connection. Reset implies the server explicitly dropped the connection. Just to be clear, it was reset, not timed out?

Does this occur mainly on startup or randomly?

Does this type of problem occur with other POP/IMAP accounts (if you have any)?

Did this problem occur when you used version 52.* and 60.*? You might be better off using 60.9 for a couple of months
until version 68.* is more mature. http://kb.mozillazine.org/Go_back_to_an ... hunderbird
reft

Post by reft »

I've posted separately about an issue incorporating this - I'm occasionally getting the reset message and I'm also only getting e-mail, if at all, very slowly retrieved. I am using POP3 interface to Gmail. I've come to the conclusion that it is Gmail that is misbehaving not TB. This issue started being a real problem for me a couple of days ago. I get the problem with 68.1, but also had the same issue (I only upgraded yesterday) with 60.9. Running Windows 10 1903.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Try adding a Gmail IMAP account and see if it behaves better. You can have a POP and a IMAP account for the same mailbox, at the same time. If it works better we can discuss what you don't like about IMAP accounts and perhaps find a way to make them more palatable.

You might also run a internet speed test such as https://www.speedtest.net/ and see if you get speeds near what your ISP advertises, and a ping time under 50ms.
jPaulB1

Post by jPaulB1 »

Hi Folks,

Thank you for the replies.

This issue happens often, even with a fresh OS restart. It is always a reset, rather than a time-out.

I suspect the thing to do is revert back to version 60.9 and I wonder if I can simply install a revert over the 68.1.0 version I have, or is it better to uninstall and then re-install?

Thanks again,

-Paul-
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Its better to uninstall and re-install.
sabretooth04

Post by sabretooth04 »